The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amigo Bravo 12 blanket-- no leg straps??

The Amigo Bravo 12 blanket does not have leg straps? Do they stay put?
    Last edited by SendenHorse; Dec. 17, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

No leg straps on Horseware blankets and yes, they stay put very well.

Not all of them stay put well. A very good friend of mine turned her (admittedly very actice) TB gelding out in a Rambo (both made by Horseware) blanket with no leg straps. We heard the same thing, they are fine, no problems, they stay put. Well, the blanket twisted, he caught his front leg in the belly strap, and broke his upper front leg. They were very lucky it was a non displaced fracture, and he was a good patient. He spent almost 4 months in a stall. Her Rambo blanket went in the garbage can, and my Rambo blankets went to the Amish blanket guy to have leg straps added.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I have been using Rambo blankets for years with tail straps only and never had an issue, provided the blanket was properly fitted and the tail strap on. I use them in a wildly windy area and they stay put, even on my collection of injury prone and acrobatic warmbloods. My one little guy likes to roll and roll and roll, then come up like a rocket, buck, twist, play, run around...his blankets rarely shift. I have only seen problems when people leave off the tail strap (crazy!), it breaks, or the blanket is too big. I also had one youngster that liked to pull his blankets up front, which pulled the tail strap too loose...solved by making the tail strap fixed, not adjustable. He did the same thing with legs strap blankets, giving himself a wedgie and stretching the straps until they were dangerously long. He earned rap last coating the fronts of his blankets to break that habit!

2 members found this post helpful.

My horses both wear Amigos, and they stay on fine even with frequent rolling. The only thing I don't like about the tail strap is how dirty it gets. The last two blankets actually had the tail strap sewn on, so I cut them off and ordered 4 replacement straps that clip on. That way, I can remove the strap when it's filthy and replace it with a clean one.

My gut says the horse who broke his leg had belly straps that weren't tightened properly. I see that all the time and have gotten on boarders' cases for loosening the belly straps on their horses blankets. I've come across a boarder's horse caught in his belly straps (in a Rambo), because his owners refused to leave them where I tightened them. Thankfully, he was a very quiet, older horse, and when he realized he was caught, just stayed down until I found him.

I hate leg straps and replace them with tail straps on all my blankets. A well fitting, well designed blanket (as Horseware blankets are), will stay in place just fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ugh, I can't stand leg straps. I always take them off and use a tail cord instead, and I love that the Horseware blankets (Amigo, Rhino, and Rambo) are intended to use a tail cord. I think some blankets use leg straps as a way to compensate for a poor design and/or cheap construction.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My gut says the horse who broke his leg had belly straps that weren't tightened properly.
    No, they were adjusted snugly, as I had helped her adjust the blanket. I am glad that she was in the minority of people that have had a problem, but just wanted to warn the OP that it was a possibility. I blanket almost all of my horses (we currently have 16 counting foals). Most have leg straps except the broodmares who have bellybands and tight fitting tail covers so the foals have nothing really to get hung up in. Even if my friend's horse was 1 out of 1,000 or even more, I think it's important to know all your options when you are choosing things for your horse. We all know what they can get themselves into, even if we were to wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them in a padded stall!

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

My hard-to-fit gelding has one and it stays put perfectly. And not only is he hard to fit, he also HATES blankets, yet shows no sign of complaint when I put the Amigo on him. Two thumbs up for the Amigo Bravo 12 from me.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I have the Amigo Bravo for my horse and with all the rolling, galloping, running around he does the blanket never has slipped. He also has a Rambo with the same results. I use to always make sure that his blankets had leg straps, but now I want nothing to do with them. Just another thing he can try and "kill" himself with!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Horsware doesn't do leg straps. I have never had a problem and I actually prefer that design to blankets with leg straps.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Ill take a tail strap any day over leg straps when changing blankets out in the field or whenever you need to get it done asap when dealing with horses who dont like people around their hind end.

I got a new amigo sheet this year that doesnt have a removable tail strap. YUCK! I cut it off and replaced it with the bungee rambo tail strap that snaps on and off for cleaning and so I can flip up the blanket when Im groom my clipped horse without having to totally remove the blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Run View Post
    No, they were adjusted snugly, as I had helped her adjust the blanket. I am glad that she was in the minority of people that have had a problem, but just wanted to warn the OP that it was a possibility. I blanket almost all of my horses (we currently have 16 counting foals). Most have leg straps except the broodmares who have bellybands and tight fitting tail covers so the foals have nothing really to get hung up in. Even if my friend's horse was 1 out of 1,000 or even more, I think it's important to know all your options when you are choosing things for your horse. We all know what they can get themselves into, even if we were to wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them in a padded stall!

Sheila
    My guess is the blanket was improperly fitted. IMO elastic leg straps are far more likely to get caught up in legs than anything else. I can't imagine a properly fitted Rambo shifting whatsoever unless improperly fitted. I have them for my horses and no matter how much they roll and play, those blankets stay put.

Wait, what Amigo sheets have non-removeable tail straps?
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Wait, what Amigo sheets have non-removeable tail straps?
    I know the 600D sheets have non-removeable tail straps. Not sure about the 1200D.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    I know the 600D sheets have non-removeable tail straps. Not sure about the 1200D.
    This must be a new thing, I have a couple of those and the tail flap is removeable. Not a clip on both ends like the Rambo.. but a loop on one end and clip on the other.
    ~Veronica

my blanket has a non-removable tail flap (which I don't like since I prefer it to come off) but does not have an actual tail cord. There are rings for a tail cord.

I'm going to add rings for the leg straps and then I have the option to use or not.
    Last edited by SendenHorse; Dec. 17, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

I got one of the 600D sheets this Fall. Cute color but I had to cut off the strap. No snaps on either end. Super gross.

I got a 1200D sheet a few years ago that had a tail strap with a clip on both ends. Was fantastic.

Hmm... not a good development! I like to remove the straps for de-pooping!
    ~Veronica

The only Amigos that I have are the 600d lightweight turnouts. They do just have the sewn on straps. They are sewn on to the metal dees, so it is pretty easy to cut off and replace with new ones. I figured it was a cost saving thing (those snaps cost big bucks, you know!).

I do like the new plastic covered bungee ones on the Rambos but it seems the ones that are included are always too long and you can't adjust them. I bought some smaller ones and replaced them on some of my blankets.

That's another thing on the new Rambos that I like are the breakaway belly straps so you wouldn't have a horse get caught up like the one poster talked about. They velcro on so they will come off with stress. Some folks griped about them, thinking they came off too easy, but I haven't had any issues and I'd rather the straps come off than have the horse hurt or the blanket torn. I think it is a nice new design.