The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you think that somebody took him and kept him can you drop of flyers to the local vets. Maybe the vet or one of the techs will recognize him as a client's "New Dog".
    Since Basset's aren't a dime a dozen like labs and you are offering a reward you have better chance that people will recognize him and get involved.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Well then, I'll keep spreading the virtual word. Thanks for keeping us informed.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the offers of help. It is much appreciated - truly it is. I did contact every vet I could find information for in PW, Fauquier, and Stafford counties. They were either emailed or mailed a lost flyer with his photo. I doubt very much I reached every vet, though.

It is still very possible he was the victim of a coyote attack, especially since he has been gone so long. Many pets have suffered such a fate around here, though not usually dogs of his size. Still - the reason it is more likely he was picked up is because while I was out calling for him, I saw some cars slow down in front of our farm. I didn't think anything about it at the time because that is common since house numbers aren't usually visible from the road and people looking for a house or farm will slow at each mailbox.

If you follow the link it will take you to the lost pets website where I have posted a recent photo of him - you can clearly see his markings, his collar (including the effing link for his effing tag that had effing fallen off and I hadn't replaced it yet) http://search.lostpetusa.net/detail....&thankyou=lost

If you go on FB, there are also listings, with photos, on the Lost and Found Dogs DC Metro Area and Virginia pages.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

If he is from hunting lines, perhaps check with the local basset hunt clubs to see if a new dog shows up that matches his description.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Deleted. Just saw a pic had been added and its a completely different dog .
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

No. Not that it matters. If he was picked up he wasn't taken to a shelter nor did the person attempt to find the owner.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    No. Not that it matters. If he was picked up he wasn't taken to a shelter nor did the person attempt to find the owner.
    They may have taken him to a vet to be scanned. I won't take dogs that I find beside roads to our shelter, as they will euth after 3 days. I take them to my vet to be scanned. Plus, many of the chip companies offer help to get dogs found.
    Contact all of the rescues in the area to see if anyone has brought in a dog like him to be scanned for a chip/dropped off. Keep an eye on CL as well. If he isn't neutered, check ads on CL in about 2-4 months for puppies for sale. Then ask to see the parents. Sometimes people will take purebred unaltered dogs and breed them to sell their puppies.

Thanks, jetsmom. I've done all that.

I have run into a lot of dog thieves - people who pick up dogs and refuse to notify a shelter - taking the dog out of the area or state within a day or two of picking it up.

Which makes it impossible for an owner to find their dog - and which explains the stories of lost dogs being found thousands of miles away. Even microchipped dogs. It also makes a person wonder how many dogs end up being gassed in out of state shelters, or who end up in abusive homes - all because some asshat didn't notify a shelter they'd found a dog and decided to play God instead.

It's a pretty shitty thing to do. I hope for your sake it never happens to you. Because you know - it can. It can happen to the most responsible owner.
    -Rudyard Kipling