The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Missing Basset Hound - Virginia

I know some COTH BB members live in the area, and many of you work in dog rescue. So I'm posting this here in case any of you can help. I've visited the local shelters, put fliers out, contacted neighbors, farmers and hunters, and... nothing. Please feel free to forward the link to anyone you know who works with the rescue or shelter system. He's out there somewhere. Thanks.

Last seen on December 10th, 2012 in southern Fauquier County. He is a young, intact male red and white Basset Hound. He was last seen near the Stafford/PW border. We have reason to believe he was picked up by a passing motorist; but he has not been turned over to any of the local shelters. He may have been taken to an urban shelter or turned over to a rescue. He was wearing a brown and blue striped collar with an attachment for a tag (which was lost recently). He is not a stray, nor is he abandoned. He is a much loved part of our family. There is a generous reward for his safe return.

You can view a photo and contact the owner through http://search.lostpetusa.net/detail....&thankyou=lost

He looks like such a sweet Basset! Any updates JSwan? Jingles that he is back at home in time for Christmas!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I've been keeping a loose eye out and haven't seen anything but BROOD (Basset Rescue Of Old Dominion) might have him. They have a lot of dogs on the listings.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Thumbs up Pulling for you!

Bump!!

Jingling.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've contacted rescues all over DC, MD, and VA. I've got ads on CL for the region. None of the local shelters have him (I've been checking in person). I've sent flyers to area vets. Not one living soul has seen him. Not farmers, hunters, neighbors - nothing. He vanished.

I last saw him at 1pm. By 3:30 pm my beagle was seen alone in my neighbors yard. He knew the area and could see the house from where he was - it is highly unlikely he got "lost." I remember seeing cars slowing down in front of my house - but thought the driver in front was lost or looking for a house number. Now I think that driver stopped and picked him up - but did not turn him over to a shelter as required by law. My beagle would never go up to a stranger, but my Basset loved everybody and would go with the devil himself.

I did send a flyer to BROOD but never heard back from them - and he is not on PetFinder (which doesn't mean much, really)

I can give the reward money to the person who found him, or I can give the reward money to the person who tells me who stole my dog - and where my dog can be located.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Any updates?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Most likely killed by coyotes. (based on hunters observations in the area where he was last seen)
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ugh. I hope not. I know the poor little fella would probably have frozen to death by now but I would hope he's still out there somewhere and okay all the same.

I'm so sorry, JSwan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I am so sorry. I hope that someone is just stupid and has him and hasn't called the right places yet. ((hugs))
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Whatever the outcome.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

And...... for a long convoluted reason that isn't relevant we're back to the very strong suspicion and working theory that someone stole him (maybe some deluded person who thinks every country dog is neglected/abandoned and who refuses to turn dogs over to shelters)... but stolen nonetheless.

The reward is still out there. So are the photos, the phone number, everything. If you see him, know who took him, or know where he is - contact me. Thanks.
    -Rudyard Kipling

So sorry JSwan. I hope he is found safe and sound soon. I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist and NoVA shelters but no luck yet.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I keep my eyes and ears open at the dog park and I have contacts with several of the local groups who have not reported anything yet as Bassets are rare for most of the rescue groups. Is there anything that comes to mind that could be helpful in picking up out of a line-up other than red spots on the head? Anything he does that sticks out? Bassets are few and far between east of Manassas/Nokesville from what I've seen and given where you live, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still around there somewhere.

I still look on CL in MD, PA, VA, NC and WV. I'll continue to look for him. I want him to come back to you so bad.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I really and truly appreciate folks keeping an eye out. I can't go to all the shelters in the entire area - though I do visit the nearby county shelters frequently. Few rescues I've contacted have responded.

Is there anything that would stand out? I can email more photos if the one on that lost pet website isn't good enough. He has a very big, booming voice, even for a Basset. He's a large, long Basset, but not the droopy, fat, couch potato kind. He comes from a hunting line and at the time he disappeared, he was fit and trim; no loose flesh except around the neck and jowls. Very muscular.

No odd behavior - he was a typical goofy farm hound who was an incorrigible egg thief. He never met a stranger. Very friendly to everyone and every animal he met.

Thanks. There have been many lethal coyote attacks around here but there are also lots of folks who wouldn't think twice about picking up a cute dog.
    -Rudyard Kipling

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    And...... for a long convoluted reason that isn't relevant we're back to the very strong suspicion and working theory that someone stole him (maybe some deluded person who thinks every country dog is neglected/abandoned and who refuses to turn dogs over to shelters)... but stolen nonetheless.

The reward is still out there. So are the photos, the phone number, everything. If you see him, know who took him, or know where he is - contact me. Thanks.
    I hate that people do that. Our dog managed to escape from a kennel when we were away. It was snowing and he tried to run home, but of course got lost and ended up in someone's backyard. Even though he had a rabies tag they kept him for over a week before he got impossible to live with (he was a very high strung & neurotic, but sweet/passive and friends with everyone setter mix). Needless to say it was horrible not knowing what was happening, and this was before the era of cell phones so we didn't even find out until a few days after he'd gone.

Long story short he did come home by way of the SPCA who recognized him immediately from the info we'd sent around, so here's hoping for you JSwan! I have a lot of dog loving FB friends from Central and Northern Virginia so will continue to keep an eye out for you.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If you have any high-res photos you could put on the bulletin or make available that clearly show the two red spots and where they would be on his head, that would be very helpful in picking him out if he's around, though I don't expect that you would have such a photo. That's really the only thing I can think of that would be extremely helpful in spotting him in a shelter/rescue group or anywhere else if someone got close enough. He's been gone long enough that he would likely be entering the rescue/shelter listings very shortly if he's ended up at such places.

If you would like, I can go in person to the rescues/shelters in the Baltimore area.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

1 members found this post helpful.