The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wow!! 100 Driving Drafts in One Arena Performing Quadrille!

Ten-in-hand. Impressive!! Lots of draft eye candy.

http://youtu.be/dDVyeL8Op8w
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

What breed are the dark chestnuts with white manes and tails?

Quote Originally Posted by Airfern View Post
    I wonder if they're Oberlanders. I know someone with one.

They might be the draft model of the Westphalians. The ones I have seen (not often!) had the very white manes and tails. The next to last Team appears to have some other breed s mixed in or those two horses, Leader and 3rd pair, are not breed traditional because of the color. One had red mane and tail, while the other was greyish maned, not the bright white. They all went together well though! Might be hard to find 10 alike, other Teams also were mixed breeds.

I think the last, smaller Team might have been big Haflingers, comparing horses to vehicle. They were just smaller animals than the others.

I did like the mix of Fresian and Andalusian/Lusitano? white horses. All had equal knee action, and color contrast was nice and sharp.

I have no breed clue on the Team of all dark horses, though they moved nicely, good speed on them.

I also liked all the heavy Bays in various shades of red to light red. They were nice movers too, and the ways they were harnessed was interesting to see. Some Teams were harnessed with poles and eveners like American Draft drivers use, while others like the rope decorated Team were just attached to the horse ahead. I did like the color on the harness, spiced things up a bit. Just couldn't quite figure how they ran all the reins without tangling, since they didn't use the divided rein holders on the saddles and Roger rings. Probably Traditional hitches, but would be cool to look at up close!

It loaded and ran very slow for me, so I will have to watch again, see what else I missed the first time!!

I really liked the tied together teams... Did you notice how QUIET it was when they went past the camera? Interesting harness on them, i couldnt make out their rein configuration, but they did not have the massive amount in their hands that the other teams did. Very cool to look at. Would be neat to get to walk around the teams in person and see it all better!

So what would be the pro's/con's of having your teams tied or having poles?
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

That's a lot of horseflesh.

The black team w/ 2 whites is def. flashy!

when you have dark/black horses its traditional to have the left leader as a white/grey horse so they can be seen at night.

I would have loved to have seen this in person.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    when you have dark/black horses its traditional to have the left leader as a white/grey horse so they can be seen at night.
    I figured that since this is a "show off" drill team, they were just contrasting the white and black horses, especially since they had white wheelers too. Probably didn't have 10 white horses or 10 black ones. Same with other Teams on the video, not all horses were the same colors.

Still rather amazing to see 10 teams with so many horses out front! Nice driving to manage them in the Quadrille in such a small space.

Some folks in the past did use a light horse in the lead, but unless it was a private Team, you didn't see that consistantly on Teams on the road. Easier to match all horses in one color, use them in any position you needed filled.

Or they are just a stickler for tradition.

I don't think Holland has shortage of Frisians

but I am totally with you on the awesomeness of this feat.

I do not think the whites were Andalusian/Lusitano. Anyone else have a guess?

Whites could also be Lippizans, fairly common to find in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Airfern View Post
    They might be Norikers, which is sort of a giant Haflinger. Or perhaps Black Forest horses.

Oh man, a giant haffy? I don't know whether to be smitten or terrified
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Oh man, a giant haffy? I don't know whether to be smitten or terrified
    Be afraid, be very afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

The whites are too "thin" & lanky, especially in the necks & the heads are too refined to be Andalusian/Lusitano, besides their bodies being too lanky & a taf on the leggy side. Also way too tall & lanky to be Lippizaner's, plus once again head too refined.

Recall, they are in a team of Friesians. They match them in size extremely well, though their bodies look a tad thinner/lankier than the Friesians.

Up so late as I am sick as a dog.

but you have to remember ThisToShallPass, that these teams are in the EU meaning they have better and different stock (compared to the USA) and sure comparing them to a tank like the Friesian they would look lanky and thin. I am not saying you are wrong about them not being Andies or Lusitanos or even Lippies. I have seen some pretty slight ones in the EU. Felix Brasseur's Andies are tall and lanky.

The wheelers are a bit small (which is interesting to have them in the wheel since they do the majority of the work) which would lead me to believe they are a PRE or lippy

I am not saying they are or are not, just playing devil's advocate.