The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Andis AGC Super 2 Speed Clipper- T-84 blades don't even last half a horse!!!

While clipping a throughred who was just bathed but dry with average not thick or matted TB hair my t-84 blades lasted only on one side of the horse for a full body clip without legs. Everyone raves about these clippers but they are bad for me! What's everyone's input!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

My T-84 blades generally last for two body clips before needing to be rehoned. However, I have had several brand new blades clip like crap. It wasn't the adjustment/tension - the blades were just dull. As if a step had been missed in the manufacturing process.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know about these clippers per say (I am an old Oster A-5 person) but here are my suggestions for making clippers and blades last.

1) NEVER start the clippers with the blades on the motor. If your clippers use snap on blades (I assume they do?), be sure the blade is UP when you turn the clippers on. Once the clippers are running, THEN snap the blades down. The prevents the motor from having to start from a cold stop to running full speed with the resistance of the blades. Really wears the motor out. Admittedly, not your immediate problem but I put it first as a way to emphaisize its importance to always do it.
    2) Blade wash. Wash your blades every 5-10 mins, or as needed. Might need to do it more often depending on the situation of the moment. With the clippers running, immerse the blade into a container of blade wash and let them run. This rinses the hair from between the blades.
    The container will accumulate hair and dirt. After many uses you will want to strain it. The mesh sink strainers for kitchen sinks work well. I have tried cheese cloth and paper filters but found the metal ones work the best.
    3) Oil the blades after you wash them. The wash removes all the oil from the blades as well as the dirt and hair. Be liberal with the oil--on the running blades, on the groove on the back that the bottom blade slides in, on the bottom edge of the bottom blade where it also slides against the top blade, etc.
    4) KoolLube. Real clipper blade spray, not WD-40, etc. WD-40 works in a pinch but not for regular use. Use it often. With the blades running. As you spray it on the blades you may even hear them change pitch as they start to be able to move again. Use it between blade washes. But it also removes oil so you will still need to oil the blades, esp after washing.
    5) ShowSheen on the horse's hair coat. Helps a lot.
    6) Was the horse clean at skin level? I clip horses for friends and you would be surprised how many horses that were just bathed are not clean at the skin. And this is where the blades are working. I use one of those tacky curry comb hose attachments when I bathe pre-clipping. The really bad spots that are missed, and really wear on the clippers, is along their top line, esp their rump and croup. You need the horse clean to the SKIN.

And last but not least... you may have gotten a bad set of blades. I got a set of blades once that were put together backwards!! Anothere time there was no plastic glide in the groove in the back on the bottom blade. And a set of wide #10's I just got barely got thru one side of a re-do on a trace clip. So there are bad blades.

Hope that helps?

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, but those are trimmers, not body clippers. You want to do the whole horse? Get the proper tool for the job.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done--I've done it. But it's sort of like hauling a horse trailer with a 4-cylinder Subaru SUV. You *can*, sort of, if conditions are absolutely ideal and you aren't asking for much. But a nice big truck is going to be better all the way around.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

I clip the old guy with that type of clippers and they get dull and/or overheated before I get done with one side. I bought a spare set of blades and they seemed dull right out of the box. I know that he has extra long hair due to the Cushing's but I can't be sure it is extra thick, which is what makes labor for the clippers. I use blade wash and oil frequently, but they still get too hot. I've thought about springing for the Osters or maybe Wahl but I hear too many stories about the new ones being cr*p. I was happy initially but only really got one trouble free body clip out of them.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I almost bought these clippers a while ago after being recommended as great for body clipping, though not really marketed/built for it... but after speaking with a friend, I decided against it. I would be saving some pennies and buying full body clippers and keep the Andis AGC's for bridlepaths, legs, faces, etc. I just ordered the Oster Variable Speed Clipmasters, so hopefully they hold up to all the good reviews.

I also agree with Meghan's post above .. it's crucial to constantly be 'spraying them down' and/or cleaning if working on a less than ideal coat (longer, dirty, etc).

In my experience (as always being the one holding the horse - LOL!) It's fairly common to start with just a trace clip, and gradually make it a larger and larger trace clip so that if something goes awry, the horse doesn't look rediculous with 1 side clipped and 1 side hairy.. then, if you need to go back and finish in an hour or two after giving your clippers a break, they don't have to suffer from embarassment of looking goofy to their other pasture mates, haha.

I got one blanket clip and almost another body clip done with one set of T-84 blades and this horse is a complete yak! I don't clip that much and in year's past I've borrowed the BIG Oster's. I honestly really like the Andis ones... they're lightweight, quiet, and my hand isn't numb when I'm done clipping lol. I use Kool Lube frequently and will give them a minute or two break if I feel like they are getting too warm, but honestly these stay way cooler than the Oster's I've used in the past.

When I use those blades on an appropriate clipper (either Oster A5 or Andis AGCs), I can get at least a full BIG HORSE body clip out of them, sometimes 2 depending on how clean and show sheened the horse is. I think either your blades were dull or slightly rusty or something. Your experience seems odd to me...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

hmmm I was able to get two body clips on my 15.3 half arab, two good jobs to but I scrub and rinse ocd style for body clipping baths, you want them squeaky clean

T-84 clipper blades are no good. Get the 10 blades and you can clip the whole horse. Just try to make sure horse is clean first.

1 members found this post helpful.

So, I just experimented with my clippers and they ran for 20 minutes without blades or cap and only got to lukewarm, which tells me the problem is the blades or the amount of dirt the blades are cutting through, or a little of both.

I've learned how my guy gets dirty and where he is likely to stay dirty with that thick hair coat so I have some thoughts on how to better wash him ahead of time, but at $40 mol for blades I really don't want to buy dull out of the box again, I can't afford it!

Any thoughts on the blade issue?

ETA 10's leave the coat 1.5 mm long, where 84's leave it 2.5 mm long. Scurf close to the skin is really going to mess up 10's isn't it? Wouldn't I be better off with a blade guard or different size to get away from the dirt? This is not a show body clip I'm doing, it's for comfort for a retiree.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Dec. 16, 2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: gaaah, this stuff makes me nuts!
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I've learned how my guy gets dirty and where he is likely to stay dirty with that thick hair coat so I have some thoughts on how to better wash him ahead of time, but at $40 mol for blades I really don't want to buy dull out of the box again, I can't afford it!

Any thoughts on the blade issue?

ETA 10's leave the coat 1.5 mm long, where 84's leave it 2.5 mm long. Scurf close to the skin is really going to mess up 10's isn't it? Wouldn't I be better off with a blade guard or different size to get away from the dirt? This is not a show body clip I'm doing, it's for comfort for a retiree.
    I've seen a few of the 10 WIDE blades that are 2.4mm (Laube), same as the T-84's. I saw a 10W blade at TSC that had 2.4mm printed on it and remember thinking it was odd... pretty sure it was Oster blades. Where are you paying $40 for T-84 blades? Smartpak has them for like $26 and I just bought them at Tractor Supply for $30 as I didn't have the time to wait for them to ship to me. You could always try to find someone to sharpen them. I would assume that any pet grooming place might be able to give you the name of someone who does this (I work at a vet clinic which has a boarding/grooming section and they have someone come in to sharpen blades).
    Same as everyone else says... scrub scrub scrub the horse and then coat with show sheen type product before clipping. I wait until the are totally dry if at all possible, but I know some people clip damp/wet.

Also it would take longer as I'm not sure they come in wide sizes, but you could get something like a size 8 blade instead of a 10 and it would leave the hair a smidge longer (closer to the T-84 length).

I had the Andis Super 2 speeds for years and IMO the motor on them just isn't powerful enough for body clipping hairy dirty horses. I think they are great for faces and lower legs though.

I bought Lister Stars for body clipping, and they are FABULOUS!

The Listers clip nicely, as strong as the old clipmasters and leave a nice looking clip. Plus- they are much smaller and do not give me clipper hand afterward.

I use sheep blades (on my Lister Stars) to clip hairy, filthy ones that can't be bathed. They wind up looking like corduroy, but it does functionally remove the hair.

HATE the ACGs. haaaaate. They have always been a bit like clipping with a pair of spoons.

2 members found this post helpful.

$40 was a misread, $34.99 at the tack shop where I bought the clippers. Had to find the little blister pack. Clippers were priced comparable to TSC. I'm planning to ask at the groom shop next door to the vet, whenever I get around to it, about sharpening because the 2cnd set of blades was dull right out of the box, extremely frustrating. I actually though for a little while that I'd been rooked, that the tack shop had taken the blades back in return and they'd been used, but they were brand new clean.

Can't afford at this time to get good sheep shearing quality clippers like the Stars although I've heard that for a yak, it's the best option.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the light weight and low vibration of the Andis. I've had carpal tunnel issues in the past and vibration and weight are deadly. Once I find a good local sharpening service that I don't have to drive 30 miles to I'll probably be content with the Andis.
    Incredible Invisible

M. Schneider and Sons lets you mail blades for sharpening and they are quick and reliable.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Groomer's Edge sharpening. (Google them) VERY fast, easy, great work--turnaround time is a couple of days.

I feel like I have had a few sets of blades that were dull out of the box and you probably did, too. I usually clip with either the T84 or T10 blades and usually get at least 1 full horse clip out of them. I usually have no problems with them dulling quickly or leaving lines. I admittedly do clip my horse unbathed with some show sheen. But he usually does not have a lot of deep down dirt and is not a wooly mammoth. I try to have other horses bathed since I don't know how clean they really are.

When I clip the true wooly mammoth, I use the big blue Oster clip masters. I would rather have the hair blown back on me, then spend all day hacking through all that hair!

The Oster 10 wide blades tend to leave the coat a bit long for my taste (probably about the same length as the big clippers) and the plain old 10s, in my opinion, have a hard time getting through thicker coats and tend to leave more lines.

Those things are only good for horses with fine/shorter coats. They are not really meant to be body clippers. In fact they wouldn't even cut one hair on my fuzzy monster pony.

I also had to use sheep shears on my old Cushing's horse because his coat was so thick and wavy. Then I'd have to go back and clean it up with my Oster Clipmasters. I miss him but I don't miss that!!