The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post

Are there those of you who think this kid - Adam - could have somehow had (behavioral/medical/pharmaceutical) intervention early on that could have prevented this mass killing spree?
    I personally, wouldn't know... not sure anyone would.... there are too many variables and too many things we don't know about the situation.

Would I have made guns available to a kid that was having the sort of challenges he supposedly had? Um, no. I do wonder why she involved him in shooting and guns and such. Maybe she thought if she educated him it took the mystery/fantasy out of it? Who knows, we never will now.

Honestly it is worth reading the article CiegoStar linked to earlier on the thread.... it was a little frightening but really interesting.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    A bad/evil person does not have to be a sociopath to do harm. Not all mentally ill/challenged people do evil things. Back in Williamsburg, VA we had Eastern State Hospital. Many patients were allowed to go around town unsupervised on day passes. When interacting with a patient in town, well you knew it was a patient from the hospital. Mostly those with day passes were like a Crazy Aunt or Uncle- maybe use a swear word too much, not make strong eye contact and have a odd way of going or too loud a laugh. Patients who were high risk were simply not let off the hospital grounds, ever.

It varies by state but generally a doctor or panel has to label the person mentally ill. Sociopaths live in denial, lie, lack empathy and so on. Not all sociopaths are criminal or mental. In the example of Lanza, we have not seen anything, other that a remark attributed to his Mother saying he had aspergers, that shows he was
    mentally ill. I think we all might agree that he was evil for sure.
    So you think evil is something separate from mental illness? See, I don't. I think it's an aberration that we do not yet understand. Hopefully, one day we will and we will be able to prevent it or fix it. I don't think a sane person storms into a school and kills 26 people. I think they have to be mentally ill and perhaps have a physiological condition that's not yet been identified.

In the 15th century, people with epilepsy were tortured as witches. I like to think we've evolved since then and realize we might not have all the answers. I don't believe in evil. I believe people can do evil things, but why...that's the bigger question.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

LauraKY, maybe all evil people are mentally ill, but for sure not all mentally ill people are evil.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    LauraKY, maybe all evil people are mentally ill, but for sure not all mentally ill people are evil.
    Well, of course. I would have to guess a very small minority are dangerous and most of them are only dangerous to themselves.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Just a reminder that in stead of worrying about the psychopath next door its probably more productive to worry about the drunk next door. People with no mental illness who have drug or alcohol problems are seven times more likely to commit violence than those who don't.

Angry, loner guys with problems seem to be the perpetrators but we do NOT know what distinguishes the from the vast, vast, VAST majority of basically harmless, troubled, loner, angry guys.

I worry a lot that "the mentally ill" are really stigmatized now, with little distinction.
    LLT-that case recently in Dixon sure seems to fit this situation, doesn't it? I've thought of it several times today reading different threads here...

1 members found this post helpful.