The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding in Calgary (Western? Reining?)

I find myself in Calgary visiting family for 3 weeks. And I thought - what better to do than to try and find a place for a lesson... I've done showjumping forever, but have never even sat in a Western saddle, but I thought it'd be a lot of fun to maybe try a reining lesson?

I'm sure I could turn to google, but do any of you helpful folks know places you could recommend?

Also - any other horsey 'to do' things? I have been to Spruce Meadows, but might try go again to visit the tack shop and buy a little something horsey for a couple of friends.
    I'm in the NW if that helps.

Many thanks in advance!

Definitely check out Irvines.
    its an amazing store!!! i was there this summer and had I not been with my DH, i`d have gotten lost for days in the store!...its just north of Calgary in Airdrie.

Although its a bit of a drive, Frontier Western Shop is an amazing store!! Even if you dont normally ride western, they have a ton of clothes, and an amazing home decor collection.
    I cant help you out on the lessons front, but if you ask at one of the tack shops, Im sure they should be able to help you out. A reining lesson would be fantastic, but dont count out a cutting lesson either!!!

Too bad it's the middle of winter otherwise you could try Griffin Valley Ranch, which is NW of the city, for a trail ride. They allow you to go out without a guide if you are experienced rider.

Oh, cutting would be equally awesome. Even barrel racing? I'm completely clueless where it comes to western riding, but I thought it'd make a fun change. I've been finding it difficult to locate websites of barns that look legit though. Maybe my google skills aren't what I thought. Asking at a tack shop might be a good plan, though.