The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare thing? Grumpy when blanket is on?

I have a 28 year old standardbred mare who is retired. She is in great weight and is doing amazing for her age. The only thing different this year was that she gets cold easier than (was shivering one September morning at 35 degrees) so we have blanketed her this winter. Prior to that she had been without a blanket unless it was really cold or wet for the past 4-5 years, always blanketed in her younger years though.
    I notice this in the spring under rain sheet and its worse this winter but if you touch her under her blanket (anyways, flank, side, belly, etc) she gets really really mad and will turn around and try and bite you, kick you etc. She is not a "marish" mare, ever. She is the sweetest horse and really knows her manners, never grumpy even with food. She hasn't so far actually bitten or kicked, I think she actually knows better but its more a threat.
    Her back doesn't seem sore, the blankets all fit well (and it can be any of her blankets), no blanket rubs etc.

Just curious, if she was always like this I would understand but I've had her for 15 years and its new.

Thanks!!

Static electricity or she doesn't like her coat hair being pulled by the blanket when you move it to touch her.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Static electricity or she doesn't like her coat hair being pulled by the blanket when you move it to touch her.
    I haven't felt even a touch of static and she will do this even if you gently glide you hand up the side so there is no pulling on the blanket or hair. They are Rambo turnouts and no fleece
    Or anything that would be particular staticky (if that's a word!).

She might be anticipating the static shocks, though. Or maybe it's just irritating her to wear a blanket. Maybe try an elastic surcingle to hold things in place better so the blanket doesn't slide around? They all pull and bind around the shoulders, there's nothing you can do about that. (other than a surcingle)
    Click here before you buy.

My guy's blankets are all nylon-lined and they're still full of static when I pull them off him. I spray him lightly with a coat spray before throwing a blanket on and it seems to help.

Is it a 'tent' blanket? Some horses don't like the "tent" blankets which seem to be the rage these days. There were a few older school horses who were always grumpy with their 'tent' blankets but not with their contoured ones. Maybe it pulls or drags at her in a way that makes it uncomfortable.

our old gelding didn't mind you slipping your hand under to check to see if he was hot or not but getting the blanket on was another story

if he felt that it wasn't that cold he would turn his head and snap at the air, but if it was in his mind cold then he would just stand there

he did this more the older he got, so maybe if everything else checks out she is just having grumpy old horse syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by JSO View Post
    I notice this in the spring under rain sheet and its worse this winter but if you touch her under her blanket (anyways, flank, side, belly, etc) she gets really really mad and will turn around and try and bite you, kick you etc. She is not a "marish" mare, ever. She is the sweetest horse and really knows her manners, never grumpy even with food. She hasn't so far actually bitten or kicked, I think she actually knows better but its more a threat.
    My gelding, who is usually Mr. Mellow, does the same thing. I've chalked it up to him being ticklish with his blanket on or not wanting me to take the blanket off.

My mare also does not like having the blanket shifted around. She is perfectly happy to wear clothes, just doesn't like having them put on or taken off or adjusted. I've had to retrain myself not to pull her blanket forward every chance I get, and just leave it alone.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Is she out in a pasture or in a stall when wearing her blanket? Many, many years ago when I showed and kept my horses at a boarding stable they had stalls with attached small turnouts. I always put blankets on with no fuss. I married and moved , keeping the horses on our own property where they had a stall but were on 7 acres coming and going as they pleased. I noticed pretty quickly that they were having blanketing issues. My blankets were meant to be worn in turnout but they were just causing discomfort now that my horses were truly " out" all the time. I stopped blanketing then and there and they were happy as could be.

My older gelding gets very grumpy with certain blankets he doesn't like. I assume the blankets he disapproves of are uncomfortable for him for whatever reason, even though they seem to fit fine. He's been this way for the past 15 years I've owned him.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO