The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2004
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,641

    Default "Hold Back the Hate" counterprotest tonight at Newtown High School

    There are rumors that Westboro Baptist Church will be protesting tonight at the vigil for the Sandy Hook victims tonight. Hold Back the Hate is planning a counter protest to form a human shield to protect the families of the victims. Please spread the word and be there if you can. There is a Facebook page that I can't seem to link, but it has all the details

    Thanks


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2001
    Location
    Cullowhere?, NC
    Posts
    8,578

    Default

    Wait ... They're holding a vigil in honor of murdered children, and someone wants to PROTEST??!?!

    Can someone explain this to me??
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

    Spay and neuter. Please.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2011
    Posts
    66

    Default

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

    They have threatened to "praise god and his judgement" and essentially celebrate the tragic loss of those kids and teachers. They've picketed at military funerals, funerals of celebrities, etc.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2002
    Location
    Boogerville, USA
    Posts
    858

    Exclamation I'll be the one to say it ...

    ... Now, why don't these assault rifle-toting mentally deranged people ever target groups like the WBC?
    Would be no great loss there, IMO.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    ... Now, why don't these assault rifle-toting mentally deranged people ever target groups like the WBC?
    Would be no great loss there, IMO.
    I was just going to say that. It wouldn't even take a mentally deranged person to do it, and I would imagine it would be pretty easy to plead temporary insanity after doing so. I know they make me see red. I think I could stand before a judge & jury and say "They were yelling at me that my 5 year old kid died because he is a sinner. I couldn't help myself." What jury would put you away for that???
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**


    4 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,760

    Default

    I don't say "hate" terrible often, but I hate the WBC. Hate them, all of them. I've watched a few documentaries on them (Louis Theroux from the BBC has done a couple, his docs are always really good) and the things that come out of their mouths are disgusting. The docs I've seen mostly focus on their utter hatred for gay people, but they pretty much hate everyone who isn't one of them. I know they protest soldiers' funerals. If they actually protest funerals of the victims of this shooting, that is just beyond words.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    They WANT you to hate them...that's really the entirety of their goal. I don't believe at all that they are really a "church" of any kind and I doubt they really care much about anything they rant and rave about. They are just choosing things they know will upset people and get people to waste time and energy hating them.

    Don't give them what they want, ignore them. They come around the town I work in here in Mass now and then, to protest about gay tolerance in the curriculum. The town as a whole does a really good job at handling their presence....they coordinate volunteers to stand between the WBC picketers and the event in question (last one was the high school graduation), with their backs to them, totally silent, totally calm and non-reactionary. Local media purposefully does not report on the picketers themselves, just the people standing there. It's pretty effective, the WBC people go away, having not received the attention they wanted.

    The Patriot Guard has a policy of never even mentioning the name of WBC, as that would be giving them attention.

    Ignoring them, calmly dismissing them as irrelevant and just putting an unconcerned human barrier between the picketers and those they want to hurt seems the most effective. They are bullies, that's all. They want you to react with strong emotions, don't, you are only hurting yourself.


    26 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 21, 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    12,187

    Default

    Canaqua, that sounds like the best possible advice.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    14,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    .... calmly dismissing them as irrelevant...
    Perfect word to describe people who are such a waste of space and oxygen.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Ignoring them, calmly dismissing them as irrelevant and just putting an unconcerned human barrier between the picketers and those they want to hurt seems the most effective. They are bullies, that's all.
    I could manage that at the events you talk about. Not if I was attending the funeral of my 6 year old who was murdered two weeks before Christmas... I can imagine some of the parents are barely hanging on as it is...
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2012
    Location
    Fern Creek, KY
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    They WANT you to hate them...that's really the entirety of their goal. I don't believe at all that they are really a "church" of any kind and I doubt they really care much about anything they rant and rave about. They are just choosing things they know will upset people and get people to waste time and energy hating them.

    Don't give them what they want, ignore them. They come around the town I work in here in Mass now and then, to protest about gay tolerance in the curriculum. The town as a whole does a really good job at handling their presence....they coordinate volunteers to stand between the WBC picketers and the event in question (last one was the high school graduation), with their backs to them, totally silent, totally calm and non-reactionary. Local media purposefully does not report on the picketers themselves, just the people standing there. It's pretty effective, the WBC people go away, having not received the attention they wanted.

    The Patriot Guard has a policy of never even mentioning the name of WBC, as that would be giving them attention.

    Ignoring them, calmly dismissing them as irrelevant and just putting an unconcerned human barrier between the picketers and those they want to hurt seems the most effective. They are bullies, that's all. They want you to react with strong emotions, don't, you are only hurting yourself.
    You said it perfectly! I wish I could double 'like' this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    I could manage that at the events you talk about. Not if I was attending the funeral of my 6 year old who was murdered two weeks before Christmas... I can imagine some of the parents are barely hanging on as it is...
    Of course, we'd all feel the same way....that is why other people, maybe from far away, go to put a physical barrier between the grieving and these morons...like the Patriot Guard at military funerals. Hopefully families won't have to see or hear them at all and certainly not have to interact with them.

    Also, Westboro often doesn't actually show up where they say they will...they want all the brouhaha and anger leading up to the event, but, if they have conflicting events or think it will be too hard or dangerous for them, or they just don't feel like driving all that way, they'll just skip it. They already had what the wanted...attention, press, people talking about them, people REALLY angry and upset.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    I was just going to say that. It wouldn't even take a mentally deranged person to do it, and I would imagine it would be pretty easy to plead temporary insanity after doing so. I know they make me see red. I think I could stand before a judge & jury and say "They were yelling at me that my 5 year old kid died because he is a sinner. I couldn't help myself." What jury would put you away for that???
    The jury doesn't get to decide the interpretation of the law, but were I on a jury and given that liberty, I would find you guilty. I don't think murder is justifiable because someone called your 5 year old child a sinner.

    Were some folks willing to go to jail for murdering these protesters? I'd have a firm "no comment."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,439

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CYUSt7RP6o

    Anonymous hacked into their website and is giving out the emails and addresses of these people. They want free speech, They should get it. I'm still looking for the addresses.

    Here are the WBC members:
    http://www.anonpaste.me/anonpaste2/i...bIfZBqWpaGcMI=


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2003
    Location
    itty bitty town, GA
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CYUSt7RP6o

    Anonymous hacked into their website and is giving out the emails and addresses of these people. They want free speech, They should get it. I'm still looking for the addresses.

    Here are the WBC members:
    http://www.anonpaste.me/anonpaste2/i...bIfZBqWpaGcMI=
    If you listen to the video til the end, beware - turn your speakers way down or your ears will be assaulted! That is one bizarre video.
    Susan N.

    Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,439

    Default

    Yeah. They are bizarre, but are on the right side this time. Spread those email addresses to everyone you know.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CYUSt7RP6o

    Anonymous hacked into their website and is giving out the emails and addresses of these people. They want free speech, They should get it. I'm still looking for the addresses.

    Here are the WBC members:
    http://www.anonpaste.me/anonpaste2/i...bIfZBqWpaGcMI=
    Awesome. I hope their lives are made miserable with harassment by phone, email and postcard.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,113

    Default

    Frankly, I think the best thing to do would be to cut the legs out from under the church. Find out what their finances are like and have all their debts/loans called in ASAP. That would put a nice dent in their activities.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,439

    Default

    I put it on craigslist, too. Hopefully it will get around. Power to the people.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Publish names and addresses to Craigslist?
    What could go wrong with that?
    I'll hold your beer for you.


    4 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 9, 2011, 06:39 PM
  2. High School Movements "tricks"?!
    By ctab in forum Dressage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2010, 02:05 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: Jul. 1, 2010, 09:18 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
  5. "Angle Irons" - the "old school" kind?
    By Vandy in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Mar. 15, 2009, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •