The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I really, really, REALLY think Kryswyn was being sarcastic....

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't think so.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It's the last 2 sentences that are making me think so, with mentioning Mrs. Lanza and how it didn't work out for her.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It honestly didn't activate my sarcasm detector. It sounded like she was genuinely putting forth points to refute the self-righteous position of the quoted post. Maybe if Denis Leary had read it out loud.....
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It is entirely possible that my sarcasm detection skills are faulty because of sleep deprivation and a boatload of other things.

Okay, now reading over it again, I'm not sure...
    Last edited by supershorty628; Dec. 16, 2012 at 05:45 PM.

I didn't get the slightest bit of sarcasm from her post. Just the typical liberal talking points.

And Lex, self-righteous, really? That's what you got from my post?

2 members found this post helpful.

Apparently I was being talked about because people can't read. When some fool quoted Ben Franklin to support owning automatic, semi-automatic, whatever weapons, I said he wasn't a moron. The 2nd amendment was about a MILITIA, and whatever you want to say about single fire guns and handguns, I am 100% sure he would have been APPALLED that people think owning weapons that fire large numbers of shots in seconds applied to the second amendment.

I also asked people to give ONE case where weapons actually protected someone. Someone gave a link to a man who might have shot the weapon to stop a mall shooting, but he didn't pull it out because he might have hurt innocents. Another was a case were a 12 year old girl had a hand gun and fired through the closet door at an intruder. These did not involved multi-firing weapons, and none of these had clear defensive measures. Imagine if someone had pulled out a gun to "save" people in Colorado? What a nightmare.

I'm so SICK of typical right wing nuts afraid their penile extenders will be taken away from them. You wonder where people like those in Westboro Baptist Church come from.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Apparently I was being talked about because people can't read. When some fool quoted Ben Franklin to support owning automatic, semi-automatic, whatever weapons, I said he wasn't a moron. The 2nd amendment was about a MILITIA, and whatever you want to say about single fire guns and handguns, I am 100% sure he would have been APPALLED that people think owning weapons that fire large numbers of shots in seconds applied to the second amendment.

I also asked people to give ONE case where weapons actually protected someone. Someone gave a link to a man who might have shot the weapon to stop a mall shooting, but he didn't pull it out because he might have hurt innocents. Another was a case were a 12 year old girl had a hand gun and fired through the closet door at an intruder. These did not involved multi-firing weapons, and none of these had clear defensive measures. Imagine if someone had pulled out a gun to "save" people in Colorado? What a nightmare.

I'm so SICK of typical right wing nuts afraid their penile extenders will be taken away from them. You wonder where people like those in Westboro Baptist Church come from.
    That is the kind of insulting talk that makes any good you may say irrelevant.
    "Penile extensions"?

I think those with guns are not the ones with a problem here.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Never. Punishing law-abiding citizens will never stop psychos from committing these heinous crimes.

This emotional, knee-jerk reaction is getting old. There are somewhere around 100 million gun owners in this country. Many of us own multiple guns. I have 7 myself. We will not allow ourselves to be subjugated in the name of temporary safety.

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
    And this is what I was responding to. Don't bring in the good name of Ben Franklin to say you need your multi-shooting weapons for "essential liberty." How offensive to him.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is the kind of insulting talk that makes any good you may say irrelevant.
    "Penile extensions"?

I think those with guns are not the ones with a problem here.
    In your mind everything is irrelevant, and I don't care. If you really don't understand that having to have massive amounts of guns and gunfire doesn't indicate massive insecurity, you might want to think about that one. Secure people who are sane understand that no one is "taking their guns away" and don't need automatic weapons and cannons.

8 members found this post helpful.

From another thread, someone not thinking like you. Hmm.

"Yes, bluey, please enlighten us about the many *other* uses of firearms.
    Hood ornaments perhaps?
    Penile enhancers?

Once again, your 'argument' is a complete non sequitor, and an obfuscation of the truth.
    The truth is that people are pro gun control - not to 'further their own agenda' as you say, but OBVIOUSLY to try to take some practical steps to stem the needless deaths,
    If you want to investigate people with their own agenda, look to the powerful and influential GUN LOBBY. Or as the expression goes, "follow the money".
    For them (and you, it seems) the horrific deaths of innocent children are just 'collateral damage' and part of the price YOU are willing to pay.. for A) PROFITS and B) what you 'interpret' as your precious "freedom".

Maybe read this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/op...this.html?_r=0"

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Truly what business is it of yours what he, I, or anyone else has? Or why?

How dare you?

What business is it of yours if they are locked or not? You assume all states require firearms be under lock and key at all times. You assume incorrectly.
    Give it a minute and someone will be asking this of Ms. Lanza. "How dare you keep all those guns when you had an unstable family member?" Or, realizing she paid for this decision, they'll hold off in the name of good taste. But next, "Had the dead woman taken more responsibility, several kids would still be alive."

It becomes the gun owner's business when his/her weapon is used to commit a crime.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I also asked people to give ONE case where weapons actually protected someone.
    I realize that the Cato Institute's views may not be popular with many of the crowd here but I feel they are a reasonably reputable organization.

http://www.cato.org/guns-and-self-defense/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    That is as inappropriate a question as asking why someone needs more than say one horse, saddle, bridle, breeches, coat, pair of boots, etc, etc, etc.

Many people have more than one of the same thing that they can only use at one time.
    Remember, many here don't understand guns or what they are used for, so their questions will reflect that ignorance.

Here is how a poster tries to explain in another thread when this same question was asked, worth quoting:

---"lilitiger2
    -

Here, I can help.
    Guns are for collecting (both antiques and current models), for target sports (even a local church has a "ladies pistol shoot",and NO ONE gets hurt!!!), for hunting and for self defense.

I hope we can keep this as helpful discussion as it has been. Sure, people here obviously disagree about gun issues, but gun owner or not, I think everyone was devastated by what happened Friday. I hope this is the tone future discussions take, rather than bashing others- I am so tired of those."---

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Hey guys, I think that we should ban any vehicle with more than 100hp. There are some bad drivers out there that are dangerous with more.
    There it is: the pathetic guns = cars = guns comparison. Can't you understand that the only purpose a gun has is to kill or threaten? Or is that what you use your car for, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    There it is: the pathetic guns = cars = guns comparison. Can't you understand that the only purpose a gun has is to kill or threaten? Or is that what you use your car for, too?
    No, YOU don't understand.
    Read the post above, guns do have many purposes, hard as that is for some to believe.

Wow. That's like saying cannons have many purposes--civil war recreations, knocking down walls, and killing people.

Guns are MADE to kill. If you want to target shoot, use a bebe gun or something. If you want to kill an animal or person, use a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    No, YOU don't understand.
    Read the post above, guns do have many purposes, hard as that is for some to believe.
    I understand perfectly. Guns are made for one purpose, and that is to kill. You can justify and make pathetic excuses all day long, but the fact is that guns are made for killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

7 members found this post helpful.

Before I was trained to use a gun, I had many of the same anti-gun thoughts as noted in this and other threads. Why so many? Why the large magazines? Why the "semi-automatic"?

I suggest any anti-gun folks check out the NRA web site, find "the gun store" that most of the local guns owners frequent (think the best local tack store). Talk to the owner about gun safety courses, steps for gun ownership, what type of weapon they recommend for the new owner.

Most of these folks, male and female, are very serious about guns, just like a good riding instructor. We all accept that injury is part of being around horses. The better gun instructors strived for 100% gun safety.

Why so many and the variety of weapons? Why so many bits, gloves, whips, spurs, saddles, saddle pads, etc.?

The FF were thoughtful enough to understand they lived in a world technologically advanced from that of say the Romans. And they expected more advances would happen on the future, as in our present. No they didn't envision multi-round rifles, but they also didn't envision us communicating via telephone (land or cell) or Internet. So if we apply right or freedom of speech to all current available forms of communication and expression, the same holds true of arms.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Fooler, great post and analogy!

To repeat, fully automatic weapons are extremely hard to own. Lots of paperwork and big bucks, up to five figures and that doesn't include the weapon.
    You pull the trigger and they keep firing until you release the trigger. Semi-automatics require a trigger pull for each shot. The average semi-auto handgun has clips that hold from six to seventeen or so shots. Some models allow you to chose the capacity of the clip.

Someone on another thread that guns should only be able to fire one bullet before needing reloading. Someone else posted a link to a 100-shot clip for a handgun. Both are extremes. Got two intruders and one shot....doesn't sound like a winning scenrio. Can't even imagine being able to hold up a 100 bullet clip on a hand gun much less raise my arms with it to sight the target.

Besides visiting a gun store, take a trip to a gun range or two. Our closes outdoor range is in an affluent area. Weekdays are the preppy (not preppers) crowd... BMW's, chinos, loafers, button down shirt type guys. More "down home" on the weekend...more pickups, jeans and families and women.

One of the NRA magazines entitled "Freedom" has a page "The Armed Citizen"
    that has accounts of citizens defencing themselves. Sources are local newspapers. Their estimate is about 2 million incidents a year for personal protection. Most of the time, the presence of the firearm deters the crime without a shot being fired. Other places, I've read that number to be 800K to 2.5 million times a year.

Mrs. Lansa may have a gun safe...we don't know. If she did, how did lock...mechanical turn the knob this way and that or a key pad lock. Shooter was
    supposedly a computer whiz and could have by passed the one type. Maybe she was just in denial that he was that close to the edge. Now that we know she was not a teacher at the school, the only other thing I've read for a connection to the school is that one of the kids lived across the street from the Lansas. And several more lived within a close radius.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!