The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I do think it is not necessary to have semiautomatic weapons and do not understand why they have been made legal.
    Same old, same old... why does "need" have to be proven?

    And FWIW, semi auto's were not made "legal", they basically have always been legal and subsequently had restrictions put on them.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    I love how a thread about a guy who fired bullets into the air at a mall turns into yet another pissing match in the gun control debate.



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Hey guys, I think that we should ban any vehicle with more than 100hp. There are some bad drivers out there that are dangerous with more.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I love how a thread about a guy who fired bullets into the air at a mall turns into yet another pissing match in the gun control debate.
    Easy... the gun control proponents start calling for more gun control until the people against more gun control need to say something.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Location
    You must never go there, Simba.
    Posts
    3,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Do you even know what a "semi automatic weapon" is?

    Serious question.

    ETA: They have never "been made legal" since they have never been illegal. And they have been around since the 1890s.
    As much as it pains me to agree with this person, I'm beginning to wonder the same thing.

    The words "semiautomatic weapon" sound threatening, and popular culture has lent a connotation that make us think of a machine gun like weapon. But being semiautomatic has nothing to do with size, caliber, or number of bullets in the magazine. It just means that you don't have to cock back the hammer before you pull the trigger. I'm going to go out on a limb a guess that most modern handguns are semiautomatic - even the little pink .22 that I've been considering.

    I'm with you most of the way, sketcher, but we do need to be precise in the language that we use when discussing such a sensitive subject.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Hey guys, I think that we should ban any vehicle with more than 100hp. There are some bad drivers out there that are dangerous with more.
    Don't forget the speed limiter, set by each state's BMV to the highest legal speed in that state. With a felony penalty for tampering.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,095

    Default

    There is no clear solution.
    Crazy people have killed when they wanted, for ages, is what some crazy people do.
    We have all kinds of rules and regulations, around guns also, that serve the millions that use them well.
    Now, there are times that those regulations work and people that should not don't get guns.
    There are other times that crazy ones do get guns and kill, sadly.

    As others keep trying to point out here, those crazy ones killing should not happen, but it will be extremely hard to find and avoid that happening 100% and when it does happen, as those cases presented here, there will again be calls for banning guns.
    Both are predictable.

    If we do ban guns, do anyone really think crazy people will quit killing someone when their crazy spells drive them to do so, any more than we are now?
    See the man in China that stabbed kids.

    There is no real solution.
    We can keep tightening gun laws, banning guns, but in the end, education of all around such mental ill individuals can only go so far.
    We should go as far as we can, but to restrict/ban guns as a knee jerk reaction to yet one more shooting?
    That is like banning cars or alcohol because of one more drunk driver caused wreck.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,967

    Default

    I think BTDT's post could easily be interpreted to be against all guns.

    I'm not remotely upset, I'm thinking and reading and pondering the solutions and possibilities.

    I think the media's treatment of these shootings contributes about the same as the accessibility to guns. I think that a breakdown where nobody notices or deals with the fact that a young person has the potential to act out violently (however they can) is a contributing factor. I think that young people on meds for things like ADD/ADHD or depression being mismanaged is a factor. I think the breakdown of families is a factor (divorce figures in the profiles) ETA to be clear-I'm pro-gay marriage. I think divorce is a societal problem.

    I think it's easiest for people that don't like guns (and often are ignorant about guns) to blame the guns first. I can understand that it's easy to imagine a world where the guns are just gone and things will be better and to want to strive for that. I personally can imagine a world where only responsible people have guns and I think that would be wonderful and better and I think it's more likely to happen. I can understand where responsible gun owners feel defensive. I understand where people are coming from but I don't agree with all of it. I don't think name calling or inaccuracies help either.

    I'm willing to see that you have to see the big picture to solve a big problem.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There is no clear solution.
    Crazy people have killed when they wanted, for ages, is what some crazy people do.
    We have all kinds of rules and regulations, around guns also, that serve the millions that use them well.
    Now, there are times that those regulations work and people that should not don't get guns.
    There are other times that crazy ones do get guns and kill, sadly.

    As others keep trying to point out here, those crazy ones killing should not happen, but it will be extremely hard to find and avoid that happening 100% and when it does happen, as those cases presented here, there will again be calls for banning guns.
    Both are predictable.

    If we do ban guns, do anyone really think crazy people will quit killing someone when their crazy spells drive them to do so, any more than we are now?
    See the man in China that stabbed kids.

    There is no real solution.
    We can keep tightening gun laws, banning guns, but in the end, education of all around such mental ill individuals can only go so far.
    We should go as far as we can, but to restrict/ban guns as a knee jerk reaction to yet one more shooting?
    That is like banning cars or alcohol because of one more drunk driver caused wreck.
    Agreed. Both sides of the argument are sounding pretty stupid the last few days.



  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I think BTDT's post could easily be interpreted to be against all guns.

    I'm not remotely upset, I'm thinking and reading and pondering the solutions and possibilities.

    I think the media's treatment of these shootings contributes about the same as the accessibility to guns. I think that a breakdown where nobody notices or deals with the fact that a young person has the potential to act out violently (however they can) is a contributing factor. I think that young people on meds for things like ADD/ADHD or depression being mismanaged is a factor. I think the breakdown of families is a factor (divorce figures in the profiles)

    I think it's easiest for people that don't like guns (and often are ignorant about guns) to blame the guns first. I can understand that it's easy to imagine a world where the guns are just gone and things will be better and to want to strive for that. I personally can imagine a world where only responsible people have guns and I think that would be wonderful and better and I think it's more likely to happen. I can understand where responsible gun owners feel defensive. I understand where people are coming from but I don't agree with all of it. I don't think name calling or inaccuracies help either.

    I'm willing to see that you have to see the big picture to solve a big problem.
    I don't think the average person knows what the process if like to legally obtain a carry permit.

    My friend was on an anti-depressant as a teen (she is now in her 30's and recently applied for a handgun permit). This became an issue.

    The rules for transporting weapons in NJ are also very intense.

    For some reason people who are calling for tighter regulations seem to forget that those are just more rules for those who elect to abide by the law. Clearly people who are committing these types of acts do not have the same regard.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,016

    Default

    cowboymom, you were not one of the people who was getting upset/hysterical to me . I went back and looked at BTDT's post - I can see how you could interpret it that way. I didn't, but I guess some people could.

    I agree that there are many factors, and I've been trying to say that in a bunch of different threads. I just don't think that it's correct to say that guns are not part of the problem at all (not that you did say that, but a lot of people have). I don't have a gun, never held one even, and all I know about them are the few tidbits of information my roommate has shared with me, as she's from a hunting family and has taken extensive gun safety courses.

    I'm not saying, and never have said, that we should ban guns. I don't think that would ever happen anyway, but that's not the answer, and for sure, people have the right to own firearms. That's not my issue. I've stated what I thought a thousand times, I'm not going to type it out again in this post. I understand most of both sides that have come out, although I disagree with the extremes of both, and I think it's unproductive to call names as well.

    This is a huge problem with many different facets to it. With that being said, I think it's just as unrealistic to think that banning guns is the answer as it is to think that guns are not even part of the problem at all.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Can someone explain to me why, every time there is a horrific shooting there are calls for more restrictive gun laws and some (and some of you are posting right here on this thread) believe that it calls for taking away ALL guns. SCOTUS has reaffirmed your right to keep guns in your house to defend yourself.

    NO ONE is taking away all the guns. Very few of us WANT to take away all the guns. Most of us us just want some reasonable restrictions on background checks, waiting periods and large volume clips.

    It's not a slippery slope, your right to own guns is enshrined in the Constitution and confirmed by SCOTUS. Can we please have a reasonable conversation about fixing the problem?
    Sanity. Thank you Laura!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,967

    Default

    It's deep muddy water, that's for sure.

    People are hurt and when people are hurt they get mad, I understand that....but I think at some point you have to get past the mad and be effective to make changes.

    Operating in the extremes isn't effective.

    Not easy!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    For all of you that think it is too easy to LEGALLY obtain weapons, can you please head out and go through the process yourself before you talk about reform?

    In the meanwhile, have someone try to ILLEGALLY obtain a weapon and see which gets done faster.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2000
    Location
    Full time in Delhi, NY!
    Posts
    6,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    This emotional, knee-jerk reaction is getting old. There are somewhere around 100 million gun owners in this country. Many of us own multiple guns. I have 7 myself. We will not allow ourselves to be subjugated in the name of temporary safety.
    Then I can assume you have them locked in a gun safe along with their ammunition? I can also assume you have no mentally ill people living in your home? And may I ask, what do you need 7 for? I can understand a hunting rifle, and maybe a handgun. But 7? Whatever do you need them for? You only have two hands. Do you live somewhere where there is danger of home invasion? Oh, and I guess I can also assume that all the guns were properly purchased, licensed and registered and you passed your background check. So did Mrs. Lanza. That didn't turn out so well for her.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

    "Life is merrier with a terrier!"


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    And may I ask, what do you need 7 for? I can understand a hunting rifle, and maybe a handgun. But 7? Whatever do you need them for?
    Truly what business is it of yours what he, I, or anyone else has? Or why?

    How dare you?

    What business is it of yours if they are locked or not? You assume all states require firearms be under lock and key at all times. You assume incorrectly.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,016

    Default

    I might have misinterpreted, but I'm pretty sure Kryswyn was being sarcastic.



  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I might have misinterpreted, but I'm pretty sure Kryswyn was being sarcastic.
    If so my apologies, but all I saw was self righteousness.



  19. #79
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Then I can assume you have them locked in a gun safe along with their ammunition? I can also assume you have no mentally ill people living in your home? And may I ask, what do you need 7 for? I can understand a hunting rifle, and maybe a handgun. But 7? Whatever do you need them for? You only have two hands. Do you live somewhere where there is danger of home invasion? Oh, and I guess I can also assume that all the guns were properly purchased, licensed and registered and you passed your background check. So did Mrs. Lanza. That didn't turn out so well for her.
    My boss has more than he can even keep track of. He likes them, collects them, some have never (and will never) be shot. Big ones for shooting bears, little ones for carrying concealed.

    How many horses do you have? More than one? WHY? You can only ride one at a time. How about saddles? You can only sit on one at a time, so you don't need more than that.

    Different calibers for different things. Some are display pieces, some are for using, some are inherited family heirlooms. Please tell me where in the world you can live WITHOUT danger of a home invasion? There are criminals everywhere. Even out here in poor, piddly ol' Independence, Oregon.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    6 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Then I can assume you have them locked in a gun safe along with their ammunition? I can also assume you have no mentally ill people living in your home? And may I ask, what do you need 7 for? I can understand a hunting rifle, and maybe a handgun. But 7? Whatever do you need them for? You only have two hands. Do you live somewhere where there is danger of home invasion? Oh, and I guess I can also assume that all the guns were properly purchased, licensed and registered and you passed your background check. So did Mrs. Lanza. That didn't turn out so well for her.
    I'm going to address this absurd post even though I'm sitting here laughing my butt off at it.

    No, they're not locked up, I don't own a safe. I keep a pistol on each nightstand in the bedroom, one for me, one for my wife. I keep a 12 gauge pump shotgun near the bed as well. All are kept loaded with the safeties on.

    No mentally ill people here, just the two of us and four goofy dogs, oh and 7 horses.

    What business is it of yours how many of what type of guns I own? I have two pistols, a shotgun, 3 semi auto rifles and a custom bolt action precision rig (accurate to 1000 yds btw).

    No real threat of home invasion here, we live in a rural area off a dirt road and can barely see the nearest neighbor's house. We do, however have coyotes and feral hogs down here.

    Yes, all were legally purchased. Some through gun shops, one at a gun show, and a couple in private face to face transactions. My state doesnt have any registration or licensing requirements so that's irrelevant.

    ETA: I've never hunted in my life except for a trip to shoot prairie dogs when I was a teen.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Tack shops near the King of Prussia Mall?
    By meaty ogre in forum Off Course
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov. 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
  2. boarding in Newport Beach area in SoCal
    By Bugs-n-Frodo in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
  3. Pet Street Mall
    By M.K.Smith in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2012, 01:56 AM
  4. Beach rides on Marco Island, FL?
    By Lori B in forum Off Course
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct. 30, 2011, 12:28 PM
  5. So I was at the mall yesterday...
    By indygirl2560 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Sep. 12, 2011, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •