The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    That attitude is FUBAR.
    And it only scratches the surface of the anger law abiding gun owners feel at being thrown under the bus every time some nutjob kills.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    And it only scratches the surface of the anger law abiding gun owners feel at being thrown under the bus every time some nutjob kills.
    Just what the world needs: armed angry people.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

11 members found this post helpful.

When the news first came on about the shooting, while it was just happening and things sorted out, before there was much information, the first thing the talking heads on the CBS reporting was "will there now be a cry for banning guns?"

Don't tell me that was not the first in EVERYONE'S minds, no matter how they feel about it.

The ones wanting more gun control were saying "see, we told you!"

The ones against any more wholesale gun control/bans were thinking "there we go again".

That doesn't mean everyone was not horrified about what was happening.
    To think so is absurd.

6 members found this post helpful.

Can someone explain to me why, every time there is a horrific shooting there are calls for more restrictive gun laws and some (and some of you are posting right here on this thread) believe that it calls for taking away ALL guns. SCOTUS has reaffirmed your right to keep guns in your house to defend yourself.

NO ONE is taking away all the guns. Very few of us WANT to take away all the guns. Most of us us just want some reasonable restrictions on background checks, waiting periods and large volume clips.

It's not a slippery slope, your right to own guns is enshrined in the Constitution and confirmed by SCOTUS. Can we please have a reasonable conversation about fixing the problem?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

14 members found this post helpful.

And BTW, there is no evidence that the mother took her sons to the gun range. More poor reporting that may or may not be true.

Clearly, the mother was lacking good judgement by keeping guns in a house with a mentally ill son. She paid for it with her life...unfortunately so did a lot of innocent children and adults.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh boo-f@cking hoo.

I'm a wee bit more concerned about those parents who will never see their children alive again than I am about you.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Most of us us just want some reasonable restrictions on background checks, waiting periods and large volume clips.
    We've been there before and we are not going back. It's not even up for discussion.

1 members found this post helpful.

We've been there before and we are not going back. It's not even up for discussion.
    I see the holiday troll is back...

9 members found this post helpful.

I ain't goin' back to jail! I ain't goin' back!

You know you sound insane, right?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

You know, this is probably some 90 pound weakling who doesn't even own a gun and would be afraid to shoot said gun if it did, don't you? In other words, pure troll, and not even a very original one. Time to pat the poor little thing on its head and tell it to go back under its bridge.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    You know, this is probably some 90 pound weakling who doesn't even own a gun and would be afraid to shoot said gun if it did, don't you? In other words, pure troll, and not even a very original one. Time to pat the poor little thing on its head and tell it to go back under its bridge.
    Or a fat middle aged white man with a big old beer belly sitting before the computer in his tighty whities with a nasty old cheap cigar hanging out his mouth.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Or a fat middle aged white man with a big old beer belly sitting before the computer in his tighty whities with a nasty old cheap cigar hanging out his mouth.

Don't start with that again!
    You know that's my boyfriend you're talking about.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think you all comfort yourselves believing that.

Because you probably can't comprehend the fact that there is a huge segment of the population that is opposed to the way you all think.

Because you all are probably still reeling, if you are even aware, of the devastating defeats the gun control side has suffered in federal courts, all the way to the USSC.

Beentheredonethat. A thumbs up is not sufficient for your post. I couldn't agree more

(unable to us quote feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Ben Franklin wasn't a moron, and when he referred to liberty, it had nothing to do with having automatic weapons, let alone guns for personal use. Name ONE instance where someone claiming to own guns for protection has actually been able to use it for legitimate protection. Name ONE instance where an automatic weapon was necessary.

How pathetic that anyone thinks it's BAD to think about adjusting our gun laws and blame it on the "liberal media?"" Are you kidding me?? Gabbie Gifford, Colorado, this. How the HELL are people having such easy access to this?

Effing right wing media even QUESTIONING that something is not seriously wrong here and that we should think about doing something.

Slewdledo--I'm RIGHT there with you. Something will be right with the world when we picket gun shows and not women having birth control.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-ma...183593571.html that's one glaring example of someone that was able to use his gun to possibly protect himself/other and actually only had to show it in the situation.

There are plenty of examples of people protecting themselves with their guns-there's a poster on here that has done that very thing.

I remember a story in the last year in Texas I believe where a neighbor shot and killed an assailant to protect someone else.

Those are just two off the top of my head and I don't track these things. It does happen.

I think things need to change but I don't think it's only about the guns.

No one is saying it is only about the guns. A lot of people are saying that guns are part of a bigger problem. Some people are choosing to get very upset about this and wave their internet guns at people who suggest that things might need to change.

It should be noted that those same people getting all riled up have yet to suggest a reasonable, rational, and practical idea to change things.

There is a part of me that wonders how some of these people felt about all the ridiculousness of the extreme right talking about birth control...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    No one is saying it is only about the guns. A lot of people are saying that guns are part of a bigger problem. Some people are choosing to get very upset about this and wave their internet guns at people who suggest that things might need to change.

It should be noted that those same people getting all riled up have yet to suggest a reasonable, rational, and practical idea to change things.

There is a part of me that wonders how some of these people felt about all the ridiculousness of the extreme right talking about birth control...
    You mean, like saying yes, we need to ban guns?

I would not necessarily try to bring any more politics into this.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-ma...183593571.html that's one glaring example of someone that was able to use his gun to possibly protect himself/other and actually only had to show it in the situation.
    Here is another one that was quite a story and recent:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/23/...home-intruder/

I do not care for guns. But I don't think the people who want to own them should have their rights taken away. I do think it is not necessary to have semiautomatic weapons and do not understand why they have been made legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You mean, like saying yes, we need to ban guns?

I would not necessarily try to bring any more politics into this.
    No, and see, this is what is starting to get really old.

NO ONE on this thread has said we need to ban all guns. No one. But a lot of people are choosing to read it that way and get very upset. I don't know whether they're being deliberately obtuse or if they just get so upset by the entire discussion that they don't even read most of the posts here.

You don't want to change anything about things the way they are - fine - then how do we make the problem better? And no, sorry, arming everyone is not a viable answer.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I do think it is not necessary to have semiautomatic weapons and do not understand why they have been made legal.
    Do you even know what a "semi automatic weapon" is?

Serious question.

ETA: They have never "been made legal" since they have never been illegal. And they have been around since the 1890s.