The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Slewdlelo--Thank you for speaking words I don't have the energy for.

I agree Calena, it's not just guns. There is something really wrong with our culture. I'm still wrestling with the boy who has lived across the street from me for 12 years who strangled and murdered a woman they worked for occasionally because they wanted to rob her and she didn't leave the house. When she wasn't dead, they made sure to kill her, then went out to lunch. Another neighbor told me she heard his father ask what he had done when the cops filled our block--he said he killed her. I've seen this kid outside maybe 10 times in 12 years. I know they play video games all of the time.

I don't think it's just guns, but the easy access and the super high kill ones. I don't think it's just video games, but the slow deadening of sensitivity to and training to kill for fun. (The commercial for some video game where people on the street are playing with each other and killing each other shocks me.) I don't think it's just the easy access to the media and sensationalism, but the constant barrage that is changing the way kids brains are being wired.

We have so much STUFF now, we appreciate so little, and don't connect to people. SO many of these kids have grown up with little interaction with others, and it's normal because there are other ways to interact. Their brains are wired differently. I see it as I teach. These kids will be there an hour before school wandering and texting, but not do homework. As one mother said, she can type 250 words a night on her cel phone, but she can't manage 250 twice a week for a journal.

I don't know. I'm rambling. But I think it's a bunch of these things. It used to be an embarrassment to be a drunken tramp--now you get a reality show and become a millionaire. It's almost the end of that line of thought--any avenue of people talking about you has become a good thing. When we've got adults supposedly running our country ranting on about the sanctity of life and how is more important than a living human being who then turn around and demand we kill people all over the world and spend all of our money on military, do you wonder why we have a generation of kids who have no concept of morality?
    That is true.
    Most of that can be factors to these deranged shooters.
    I don't think that is the whole story.

Not all kids today are raised like those you describe, although enough are to be worrisome.
    From those that are, in reality, there is the rare kid that does go on to become a shooter.
    Those seem to be the extreme where their mental disabilities peak with those kinds of crazy acts.

That has always happened, read greek tragedies and all thru the literature.
    Axe murderers come to mind, see the knife attack in China.
    We are now in a time where the whole world hears of it immediately, that is a big difference.
    It may also contribute to the copy cat other shooters.

We also have more lethal methods for them to use and the easy knowledge to find them and make them work for their crazy purposes.

My point, perspective, not all kids are bad, not all are crazy, not all crazy ones go on to become violent and be able to act on it.
    Those rare few that do are the ones we need to find ways to protect all from.
    Trying to make the world a safe bubble from those rare few by declaring kitchen knives illegal to own is not really sensible in this.
    Finding and stopping those individuals is.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have always thought that this more of an issue about how we handle mental health issues in this country than a gun control issue. I don't disagree that had the CT shooter not had some form of access (legally owned by the mom) to guns, there MAY have been fewer victims. But we don't know for sure. He could have walked into the classroom with a bomb strapped to his chest. He could have plowed his car into a goup of kids waiting to cross the street.

I have to agree with the poster who pointed out that millions of people legally and responsibly own guns in this country. It is a *incredibly* small percentage that are used for mass shootings.

I also wonder if we are seeing/hearing about more of these incidents, particularly in relation to young, white males due to some of the economic issues right now. Are more of these young men not able to get work, or going on to school because of the employment picture? Is this the tipping point for these people that were able to manage on the fringe and not tip over to the point of action in previous years.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    OK, last post on this, I promise. How DARE Mike Huckabee, who has the blood of multiple shooting victims on his hands, bring his vengeful god into this?
    Because he's a crazy a$$hole?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    For the next week or two they're going to blast every shooting that takes place for no other reason than to try to ban guns. Effing liberal media scumbags.
    Yes, that's why the media is publicizing the shooting deaths of 20 kids in Connecticut. Not because it's newsworthy or because the public wants the information, but to ban guns.

You are most definitely a front-runner for the Darwin awards.
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

12 members found this post helpful.

There are somewhere around 100 million gun owners in this country. Many of us own multiple guns. I have 7 myself. We will not allow ourselves to be subjugated in the name of temporary safety
    You all should pay attention to that. We are deadly serious.

We're seeing what we see every time there's a shooting like the one in CT. The media is going to over publicize every shooting they can find that doesn't take place in the ghetto, and use it to push their perverted anti-gun agenda.

For the next week or two they're going to blast every shooting that takes place for no other reason than to try to ban guns. Effing liberal media scumbags.
    I rarely name call (that seems to be the method of choice for conservatives - see above), but you are some kind of sick crazy person. Do you think the "Effing liberal media scumbags" should celebrate every shooting? "Another School Shooting! Hooray for the well-regulated militia that this person obviously belongs to. Everyone should join this well-regulated militia and get armed right now!"
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    You all should pay attention to that. We are deadly serious.
    Are you threatening to shoot me because I disagree with you? Is that your idea of responsible gun ownership? You should be banned from owning a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Are you threatening to shoot me because I disagree with you? Is that your idea of responsible gun ownership? You should be banned from owning a gun.
    We will not tolerate any more infringement. We are done being doormats. There are several levels of escalation, from voting, to winning at the USSC multiple times, to the end game.

If I should be banned from owning a gun, who is going to enforce that writ? You?

LOLOLOL

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I rarely name call (that seems to be the method of choice for conservatives - see above), but you are some kind of sick crazy person. Do you think the "Effing liberal media scumbags" should celebrate every shooting? "Another School Shooting! Hooray for the well-regulated militia that this person obviously belongs to. Everyone should join this well-regulated militia and get armed right now!"
    I'm sorry, but you can't possibly be serious about the name-calling portion of your response?? The list that I could begin to quote from any number of threads where conservatives are eventually referred to as tea party crazies, gun-toting lunatics, racists, women haters (which is particularly hilarious considering the sheer volume of women on this board, I didn't realize I hate myself until I started reading this board...) far outnumbers the number of times the "effing liberal media scumbags" sentiment is trotted out.

I don't know a SINGLE sane, responsible, conservative gun owner that is celebrating the school, or any mass, shooting. Every single one I know or have seen quoted agrees that this shooter should not have had access to a gun. But the answer is not to take them out of the hands of everyone for the less than .01% of the population that uses a gun for this type of heinous crime.

8 members found this post helpful.

We will not tolerate any more infringement. We are done being doormats. There are several levels of escalation, from voting, to winning at the USSC multiple times, to the end game.

If I should be banned from owning a gun, who is going to enforce that writ? You?
    LOLOLOL

Who left the door open so the right-wingnut paranoiacs can come in and go rampaging about, crapping on the furniture?

Edited to add: I didn't see at first ~ It's a Holiday Troll.

10 members found this post helpful.

Angry As was passed around on facebook earlier this week:

"If your first reaction to the shootings is 'oh, shit now Obama/the liberals are going to take our guns away!', then your priorities as a human being SUCK!"

What is with this widespread psychosis that we are *coming for your goddamn guns!?!?*

My question is that like the murdered woman in Connecticut, that parents and relatives of seriously troubled, and mentally deranged relatives continue to have guns around. That woman took both sons to the firing range, and she was a gun collector. She also told many friends and acquaintances that she was very worried about the younger son, and his continuing depressed menatl state. Yet, she still had many guns in the house that he used to kill.

Denial and lack of action can kill the mentally unstable person, and as in this case, kill many others. If this woman took responsiblity for her weapons and kept them elsewhere, then many children might be alive today.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post

Who left the door open so the right-wingnut paranoiacs can come in and go rampaging about, crapping on the furniture?

Edited to add: I didn't see at first ~ It's a Holiday Troll.
    Thank you for immediately illustrating my point about the name-calling.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    Thank you for immediately illustrating my point about the name-calling.
    If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, craps like a duck ...

5 members found this post helpful.

LOLOLOL
    Big talk, threatening people on the internet. You so brave! PM me and I'll send you my address. You can come threaten me face to face. Bring your gun it makes you feel better.

What I think is both sad and kind of comical at this point is how the far right is assuming the worst and getting completely hysterical.

"ZOMG YOU CAN'T HAVE MY GUNS!!!#!$$!#$ EFFING LIBERALS WANT TO TAKE AWAY EVERYONE'S GUNS AND YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM!@!#$!@" etc.

Now, if you'd read most of the posts that people have made on this forum (many of which have been polite, heated discourse), you'd see that most people are not advocating for taking away all guns. There is a lot of discussion about limiting the types of guns available so fully automatic ones are not available to the general public, or making certification harder, or things like that. That, to me, seems like a compromise of sorts.

I said this on another thread and one of those far-right people accused me of being like PETA, which was a comparison I didn't care for and didn't think fit in that situation anyway: what is the reason for a civilian owning a fully automatic gun? Why on earth should you need a gun like that? I genuinely don't understand why your average Joe would need it. Perhaps because of that lack of understanding, it seems unnecessary to me to have that kind of weaponry available because when it is used incorrectly, lots of people can die.

I live in a hunting community and I don't know any hunters who would use a weapon like that. I do know that they use some semi-automatics, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Again, no one is saying to take away all guns or all rights to gun ownership. But I'm still not seeing the far right:
    -Suggesting anything realistic to deal with the fact that there is an obvious problem. Saying to arm everyone is not realistic, sorry.
    -Making any sort of effort to meet in the middle on this. There is a problem, folks. Whether it lies in the area of gun control, mental health resources, the media... it's probably a combination of a lot of things. But as a nation, we need to address it, which means there has to be rational discussion about the different options. And yes, sorry, gun control is one of those areas that needs to be addressed.

As a final note, the increasingly hysterical threats by those who do own guns do not help your side at all.

LOLOLOL
    I wonder if the ability of someone to make anonymous statements like the above over the internet might be a contributing factor? How many times do we see people "declare" that they would like to do some horrible thing to someone they don't know or someone or thing that disagreed with them?

Long, long ago in a college class there was mention if one took a population of rats that existed peacefully and then added more rats so that there was an overpopulation, that the formerly peaceful rats would become aggressive and homicidal (country dwellers vs city dwellers perhaps?).

Take the stresses of the current population and the general anonymity that allows one to express themselves in ways not allowed previously. Add on the general isolation within the mass media, and might that not lead to a break with reality and thinking and acting in a more aggressive fashion (if one were so inclined)?
    Last edited by betonbill; Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: grammar

6 members found this post helpful.

as to who turned on the activation switch for the trigger-happy ...

unfortunately, the holidays have historically been a time of greater suicide and murder..........the depressed become more so, the stressed become more so, the angry are more angry..........and so it goes......
    the expectations and the lack of fufilment of said expectations often push someone over the edge..........[I]whatever[I] their deluded expectations may be..........

not that this is the sole reason, just that these sort of behaviors do increase at holiday time......

betonbill, you can think what you like. There are hundreds of thousands, if not more, that think like I do.

I've simply stated that we will not allow our rights to be trampled on in the name of "safety", "common sense", or anything else. And that we will use whatever method we need to keep that from happening. After all the hard work to get to where we are today, where the USSC has affirmed that the 2A is an individual right, and now the 7th USCoA has ruled that such a right extends outside one's home, we are in no mood to give anything back.

And I'd happily say that to anyone's face.

ETA: Y'all keep pushing that red thumb. It affirms that I am right.

3 members found this post helpful.

LOLOLOL
    That attitude is FUBAR.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

7 members found this post helpful.