The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Shooting at Fashion island mall Newport beach CA

Shooter in custody but WTF!

Who flipped the activate switch on all these trigger pumping morons!!!

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/World/7...firm-shots.htm

http://newportbeach.patch.com/

Ironically the names of the location are similar
    NEWtown CT
    NEWport Beach CA

newPORT Beach CA
    PORTland. OR
    Last edited by 5; Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Now is not the time to discuss gun control......

7 members found this post helpful.

Then when is the time, happymom? As far as I can tell, it's never the right time. How many people have to die before it is "the time" to talk about changing things?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Then when is the time, happymom? As far as I can tell, it's never the right time. How many people have to die before it is "the time" to talk about changing things?
    Those people will poison the water or food, will lock doors and burn buildings down, place bombs, run into school busses full of kids, whatever they can do to kill many people.
    Guns are just one more they misuse to kill many.

You have to stop those people, what they use, guns now, is incidental.

14 members found this post helpful.

^Hence why I went for the more general "things" as opposed to saying guns specifically. I don't think there's a magic answer - I can think of a few different areas that obviously need reform, but something needs to change and soon.

I was more articulate earlier today, sorry

WTF indeed.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Unfortunately an incident like the CT school shooting can "inspire" those who have toyed with similar ideas.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

3 members found this post helpful.

Someone on another thread - I want to say MyGiantPony? - mentioned that the increase in shooting attacks recently could have something to do with the predicted end of the world; people are, for lack of a better phrase, freaking out. I thought it was an interesting point.

3 members found this post helpful.

We're seeing what we see every time there's a shooting like the one in CT. The media is going to over publicize every shooting they can find that doesn't take place in the ghetto, and use it to push their perverted anti-gun agenda.

For the next week or two they're going to blast every shooting that takes place for no other reason than to try to ban guns. Effing liberal media scumbags.

9 members found this post helpful.

The extreme sides of either view are just as bad, dressurpferd01. Yeah, one extreme is pro-all weapons the military has and one is anti-any weapons, but they're both things that a) are extremely unlikely to happen, and b) aren't rational.

-A liberal who prefers to take a moderate view on most issues rather than polarizing
    Last edited by supershorty628; Dec. 16, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    We're seeing what we see every time there's a shooting like the one in CT. The media is going to over publicize every shooting they can find that doesn't take place in the ghetto, and use it to push their perverted anti-gun agenda.

For the next week or two they're going to blast every shooting that takes place for no other reason than to try to ban guns. Effing liberal media scumbags.
    Here, here.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Now is not the time to discuss gun control......
    When is that magic time ?

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    When is that magic time ?
    Never. Punishing law-abiding citizens will never stop psychos from committing these heinous crimes.

This emotional, knee-jerk reaction is getting old. There are somewhere around 100 million gun owners in this country. Many of us own multiple guns. I have 7 myself. We will not allow ourselves to be subjugated in the name of temporary safety.

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

18 members found this post helpful.

I don't want to ban guns. I don't understand them AT ALL but I wouldn't ban them. Let's just make certain that the people interested in getting them are thoroughly checked out. Let's just make certain that automatic or semi-automatic weapons are pretty hard to get ahold of. You want one in your house to protect your family? If you can't successfully do so with one of those 6-bullets and then reload kind of gun, why on Earth should you have one in your house?

I'm fully prepared to march in the streets and picket gun shows, etc., same way anti-choice protesters picket family planning clinics, if that's what it takes.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

8 members found this post helpful.

Two friends were there and were on lockdown in a store. Too scary for words.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

1 members found this post helpful.

Ben Franklin wasn't a moron, and when he referred to liberty, it had nothing to do with having automatic weapons, let alone guns for personal use. Name ONE instance where someone claiming to own guns for protection has actually been able to use it for legitimate protection. Name ONE instance where an automatic weapon was necessary.

How pathetic that anyone thinks it's BAD to think about adjusting our gun laws and blame it on the "liberal media?"" Are you kidding me?? Gabbie Gifford, Colorado, this. How the HELL are people having such easy access to this?

Effing right wing media even QUESTIONING that something is not seriously wrong here and that we should think about doing something.

Slewdledo--I'm RIGHT there with you. Something will be right with the world when we picket gun shows and not women having birth control.

20 members found this post helpful.

What makes me crazy is that the gun lobby is not offering any solutions. Other than more guns. Arm everyone. Arm the teachers. The same teachers they don't want to pay and disparage as bad guys? They'll talk plenty about how our ideas won't work, but don't offer any constructive ideas or solutions of their own.

I read today that gun show attendees must declare their weapons and check their ammunition at the door. Is this true? If so, why's that, if everyone's safer with more weaponry?

12 members found this post helpful.

OK, last post on this, I promise. How DARE Mike Huckabee, who has the blood of multiple shooting victims on his hands, bring his vengeful god into this?

I want someone to give us the answer to what is causing all these mass shootings - and I don't believe for a minute it's the guns. I'm old enough that I know it's about the people and the culture, not the guns.

The reason I don't believe the problem stems from people having access to guns is because people in this country have always had access to guns, but these mass shootings are a fairly recent phenomena that seems to be snowballing. It's been getting worse and worse for the last 20 years or so. Before that, I don't EVER remember these things happening.

These young people committing these crimes make Al Capone and the St. Valentine's Day Massacre look mild in comparison.
    <><

Slewdlelo--Thank you for speaking words I don't have the energy for.

I agree Calena, it's not just guns. There is something really wrong with our culture. I'm still wrestling with the boy who has lived across the street from me for 12 years who strangled and murdered a woman they worked for occasionally because they wanted to rob her and she didn't leave the house. When she wasn't dead, they made sure to kill her, then went out to lunch. Another neighbor told me she heard his father ask what he had done when the cops filled our block--he said he killed her. I've seen this kid outside maybe 10 times in 12 years. I know they play video games all of the time.

I don't think it's just guns, but the easy access and the super high kill ones. I don't think it's just video games, but the slow deadening of sensitivity to and training to kill for fun. (The commercial for some video game where people on the street are playing with each other and killing each other shocks me.) I don't think it's just the easy access to the media and sensationalism, but the constant barrage that is changing the way kids brains are being wired.

We have so much STUFF now, we appreciate so little, and don't connect to people. SO many of these kids have grown up with little interaction with others, and it's normal because there are other ways to interact. Their brains are wired differently. I see it as I teach. These kids will be there an hour before school wandering and texting, but not do homework. As one mother said, she can type 250 words a night on her cel phone, but she can't manage 250 twice a week for a journal.

I don't know. I'm rambling. But I think it's a bunch of these things. It used to be an embarrassment to be a drunken tramp--now you get a reality show and become a millionaire. It's almost the end of that line of thought--any avenue of people talking about you has become a good thing. When we've got adults supposedly running our country ranting on about the sanctity of life and how is more important than a living human being who then turn around and demand we kill people all over the world and spend all of our money on military, do you wonder why we have a generation of kids who have no concept of morality?

10 members found this post helpful.