The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You guys crack me up! I'm not a huge Tolkien fan, but loved the LOTR trilogy as fun entertainment. I was in Wellington NZ for the premiere of The Hobbit and lemme tell ya, the foxy dwarves? Really foxy in real life!

Blog with pictures

Facebook premiere pics part 1

Facebook premiere pics part 2

Just the highlights...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    You didn't think Elijah Wood was a perfect Frodo? I really thought all of the hobbits were portrayed very well. They were such different personalities. Bilbo was a bit of a special hobbit, and Martin Freeman seems to have a full grasp of the character as I read him to be.
    Didn't like Elijah Wood as Frodo at all. He's too Elvish looking. Which fits but I still have never warmed to the portrayal. My husband hates him (thinks he was weak and whiney) and I'm sure the constant barrage of Frodo sarcasm over the past few years (he refers to him as Proton) has intensified my inital dislike. I do like Sean Astin's Sam very well and Merry and Pippin were great.

I think the excellent Bilbo character will make the Hobbit trilogy far and away my favorite.

I don't hate Elijah Wood's portrayal of Frodo, I just have never really liked Frodo. Samwise is the real hero of the story... which is why I named my horse after him. (: Sean Astin was absolutely perfect as Sam...

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband called the movie "Episode I: the Phantom Hobbit" that was his review, with everything it implies.

We both thought it was a bit over-embellished and we were wondering why The Brown was even in there (he was mentioned vaguely once in the books) and the Necromancer had no business in there at all.

I understand they needed to spice it up for film, but like someone said earlier, the Tolkien-ites are going to be pissed.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    ...and the Necromancer had no business in there at all.
    He did. JRR Tolkein wrote him as a plot device to get Gandalf out of the picture to leave the Dwarves to their own devices in Mirkwood. Another one of those things that was mentioned in the Hobbit and further explained in the LOTR. I don't remember if he was mentioned by name or just as "a great evil" which had taken up residence in Dol Guldur and transformed The Green Wood into Mirkwood.

Gandalf was familiar with dealing with him as Thrain gave the Key to Erebor to him when Gandalf found him imprisoned in Dol Guldur. ETA: THe Necromancer is mentioned by name:

‘Your grandfather,’ said the wizard slowly and grimly, ‘gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don’t know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer.’

Lordy I've turned into a Tolkien Geek!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    He did. JRR Tolkein wrote him as a plot device to get Gandalf out of the picture to leave the Dwarves to their own devices in Mirkwood. Another one of those things that was mentioned in the Hobbit and further explained in the LOTR. I don't remember if he was mentioned by name or just as "a great evil" which had taken up residence in Dol Guldur and transformed The Green Wood into Mirkwood.

Gandalf was familiar with dealing with him as Thrain gave the Key to Erebor to him when Gandalf found him imprisoned in Dol Guldur. ETA: THe Necromancer is mentioned by name:

‘Your grandfather,’ said the wizard slowly and grimly, ‘gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don’t know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer.’

Lordy I've turned into a Tolkien Geek!!!
    This is so funny. I was just listening to The Hobbit audio book at the time I opened this thead. At this exact time, the quote in you post started playing as I was reading your quote. lol

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll be honest....I had absolutely zero interest until I realized Manu Bennett (Crixus on "Spartacus") was in it. Now, I'm intrigued.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

the hobbit movie coming up next week and I would enjoy it with the first show ...