The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Hobbit movie

Just got back from seeing it in 3D with the neighbors.

Personally I think it was a home run. My husband loved it (and he's not a fan). I recently re-read the book so it would be fresh in my memory.

Can't wait for the next installment.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm gonna go see it next week on a rainy day. I'm hoping I can drag someone to see it with me but I'll probably end up going alone. I'm thinking I will see it in 2D and then the HFR3D.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Mr IF, If Jr and I are going to see it as our Christmas Eve movie. It's now a family tradition to go that afternoon as see a movie, which is not something we do very often. We saw LOTR that way and now have 3 years of Hobbit movies. I am delighted.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

2 members found this post helpful.

We saw itlast night. I fell asleep about half a hour in and woke up half a hour before the end. What I saw was great! I've read the books so wasnt lost.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I was suprised at how much my husband enjoyed it. The screen play did a great job of orienting the viewer, and filling in happenings that are only mentioned and then filled in with the later writings. (such as the Necromancer) Not sure what Radagast the Brown was really doing in this movie, but he did provide an important plot segway. Would like to know if the crap on his face is pine sap or bird poo...

My husband barely made it through the Fellowship of the Ring although he didn't mind the Two Towers and really enjoyed the Return of the King. Apparently, you do not need to be a Tolkien nerd, or read the book to thoroughly understand the Hobbit.

We took our neighbors. The husband is a fan, but the wife is not. They had never seen a 3D movie before so they were enthralled. There was a lot of audience reaction especially to the subtle humor so I think it is playing well. I may go again, although I may have to go alone

We went to the midnight 2D showing Thursday night. It was awesome.
    I am now asking for one of those Eagles for Christmas.

High point of the movie for me was Gandalf kicking ass with a sword.
    He's my favorite Tolkien character.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I just came back a few hours ago from seeing it with a fellow COTHer. I would have to say that it's fairly epic
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

We too are going on X-mas Eve! We are rewatching LOTR to get us in the mood. I"m super excited!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Just saw the 3D version a few hours ago, my hubby and I both really enjoyed it. The movie really went fast for the both of us

We saw it last night. I'm very familiar with the LOTR books and movies as well as with The Hobbit. I loved the movie. I had read a lot of reviews and comments. I just loved it. I loved the portrayal of Bilbo - I'm waiting for his oscar. I know the book well, and it diverged a few places, but in some places the dialogue was straight out of the book. I loved the council scene in Rivendale. Some of my family members specifically dislike 3D, and I'm not a fan of 3D. Also, there was a lot of discussion that the 3D is not well done. Even so, I want to see it again and this time will do the 3D version. One of my sons said that they changed the tone of the book which bothered him some. It's true, but it didn't bother me at all. I just loved it.

it was epic. I'm going to go see it again at least once if not twice.

Apparently the deal with Real 3D (as all my techy guy friends have tried to explain to me) is that the frame rate is faster, so it looks even more "real" than actual film because it's about as fast as our eyes see and process things. Personally I don't care one way or another, but that's just me. Also, apparently the faster frame rate has made some people prone to motion sickness violently ill in movie theatres? I get car sick on straight roads sitting in the back seat; I didn't get ill in the theatre, thank goodness, but I feel bad for other people that have.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    I loved the portrayal of Bilbo - I'm waiting for his oscar.
    He was awesome! Truely excellent acting. I've only seen him one other movie... Love Actually... and my husband makes me fast forward through those awkward parts . A much much better casting than that of Frodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    Also, there was a lot of discussion that the 3D is not well done. Even so, I want to see it again and this time will do the 3D version.
    There were some out of focus parts, but for the most part it was very good, and you really forgot you were watching 3D. Much better overall than some I've sat through. But like my husband said "there are just some parts of a troll I don't need coming at me in 3D!"

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I just saw it Friday night in 3D IMAX. Lord of the Rings got me through middle school (both as an escape and by making me actually too much of a nerd for people to mess with- turns out you can seriously creep people out by responding to insults in fluent Sindarin. Who knew?) On the whole, a very good film, but I thought it got bogged down in places- slow to get off the ground and some of the added material and extended scenes distracted from the main quest and were just too long. There are only so many times I want to see a bunch of dwarves running across rickety bridges and slicing down goblins before I'd like us all to move on, and Radagast's expansion could have been done differently. (We did need to see him heal that hedgehog so that we would understand him to be a strong wizard and believe him, as Gandalf did, when he said he'd seen the Necromancer and brought back the Morghul blade for proof- rather than thinking he's a doddering old man addled by hallucinogenics. We did not necessarily need to get 15 minutes of that.) Fortunately just when I was really starting to get a little bothered by dwelling over-much on the goblins, Gollum showed up, and we picked up the pace pretty well after that. In general I prefer to see more done with less- less exposition, visual or otherwise, and more action and dialogue- to characterize and to move the plot along.

The visual effects were spectacular, 3D was done well, and honestly, I didn't even notice the higher frame rate after all the noise that was made about it. Nice to see Gandalf's ass-kicking side show up and take names- at this stage, we don't know all of what he can do and the Company doesn't either, so it was fun to see him full of surprises.

I can't wait to see Smaug- I read Diane Duane's review of the movie on tumblr this morning and agree with her that the terror and devastation of a dragon attack was well captured early on, both in its effect on the characters and also in the stage direction and our perspective on it. Hopefully, between Jackson and Benedict Cumberbatch, they'll be able to sort out his character to great effect! Interesting to see what they'll do with the Bowman (whom I thought problematic in the original as well...)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I finally saw it today... My dad was a big Tolkien fan and read me "The Hobbit" when I was wee little, so it's always been one of my favourite books. I was a little leery about seeing it, because I was skeptical about the three film stretch and what they would do to it... I was okay with it overall. I think my ambivalence might have been since I just went to see the marathon showing of the trilogy last week (extended versions), so it's a little goofy and childish at times when you watch it right after twelve straight hours of trudging toward Mordor.

I don't really mind the inclusion of the extra stuff; I thought the Radogast bits were maybe a little too much, and I could've done without the Bilbo/Frodo scenes at the beginning... I'm glad they included the background on the rise of Smaug, but I didn't need it all right at the start with the hokey narrative; the dwarves could have told Bilbo that story. I dunno how I feel about the Azog the Destroyer story-line... I guess it builds things up a bit. Totally fine with the Rivendell scenes with Galadriel and Saruman though.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I dunno how I feel about the Azog the Destroyer story-line... I guess it builds things up a bit.
    It's interesting, but I wonder where it's going in the third movie. Azog is supposed to be dead by the time of The Hobbit, killed in the dwarf wars since the battle to retake Moria. His son, Bolg, is the top goblin/orc killed in the Battle of Five Armies, and this story line lends weight to that accomplishment and builds Thorin to a more complex hero character. But one wonders if they have not just done away with Bolg all together and replaced him with Azog. Makes the movie plot line more simple but is bound to piss off any number of die hard fans.

Somewhere, out there, there are undoubtedly several chat sites where Tolkienites (I wonder what they do call themselves?) are hashing out these plot problems with more vehemence than a CoTH barefoot trainwreck...

I saw it Thurs night in IMAX / 3D. Much about it was awesome but much was distracting (don't hate me!). I didn't like how they relied on the score of the LOTR trilogy to dictate the mood or foreshadow some of the events of the movie. I feel like that's the job of the actors, and the actors did a good enough job. I was very annoyed with the sound editor about halfway through - i dislike the choppy transition from the "doom" music to the "shire" music and back. Also, the premise of the Hobbit isn't nearly as apocolyptic as the LOTR but Peter Jackson played it as if it was.

But PJ did weave a good introduction and I hope the subsequent movies are more seamless than this one.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    It's interesting, but I wonder where it's going in the third movie. Azog is supposed to be dead by the time of The Hobbit, killed in the dwarf wars since the battle to retake Moria. His son, Bolg, is the top goblin/orc killed in the Battle of Five Armies, and this story line lends weight to that accomplishment and builds Thorin to a more complex hero character. But one wonders if they have not just done away with Bolg all together and replaced him with Azog. Makes the movie plot line more simple but is bound to piss off any number of die hard fans.

Somewhere, out there, there are undoubtedly several chat sites where Tolkienites (I wonder what they do call themselves?) are hashing out these plot problems with more vehemence than a CoTH barefoot trainwreck...
    LOL... thanks for the reminder; I knew I had read the name Azog at some point but couldn't remember if it was just a passing mention in The Hobbit or if it was in one of the other works. I would be willing to bet they kill him off in the second installment, in another battle after Mirkwood or something, so that Bolg can be avenging his father in the third with the Battle of Five Armies. I thought Beorn kills Bolg, though? Maybe I'm misremembering that...

It irritated me that Thorin didn't kill Azog in the battle at the beginning; he chopped off his arm and then what? Stand back and let him be dragged away and assume he died of his wounds? Daft dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I thought Beorn kills Bolg, though? Maybe I'm misremembering that...
    No, you're correct, it was Beorn. I'm studying the Hobbit this evening. Reading the forward on the 50th anniversary printing. JRR Tolkien's words...

"Mr. Baggins began as a comic tale amoung conventional and inconsistent Grimm's fairy-tale dwarves, and got drawn into the edge of it -- so that even Sauron the terrible peeped over the edge. And what more can Hobbits do? They can be comic, but their comedy is suburban unless it is set against things more elemental."

I wonder what Tolkien would think of his dwarves now? Thorin is a right hottie and a full blown hero almost on the scale of Aragorn. Although his hard headed meglomania will certainly catch up to him

Yeah, the Hot Dwarf thing was a little disconcerting. Fili and Kili were always my faves, and now they're foxy, and I'm a little freaked out by that. It's also disconcerting seeing the hot ones like Fili and Kili and Thorin next to, say, Bombur.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    He was awesome! Truely excellent acting. I've only seen him one other movie... Love Actually... and my husband makes me fast forward through those awkward parts . A much much better casting than that of Frodo.

There were some out of focus parts, but for the most part it was very good, and you really forgot you were watching 3D. Much better overall than some I've sat through. But like my husband said "there are just some parts of a troll I don't need coming at me in 3D!"
    You didn't think Elijah Wood was a perfect Frodo? I really thought all of the hobbits were portrayed very well. They were such different personalities. Bilbo was a bit of a special hobbit, and Martin Freeman seems to have a full grasp of the character as I read him to be.

LOL, your "visual" on the 3D trolls intimidates me a little! lol