The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    How in the six hells is the tenant "fine"?

He allows his guest to go into your upstairs living space.
    He allows his guest to tack up signs in the house and the barn.
    He allows his guest to take your stuff.
    He avoids your attempts to communicate.

Your problem is not the gf. You have no relationship with the gf, she's just your tenant's guest. Your problem is with your tenant.
    Your tenant is not fine and you know it. He showed you what he was like right from the start when he moved the girl in.
    You caved then and you keep caving when you don't insist he make time to meet you to discuss your concerns.

Renew your membership of the people who like to be treated with respect club! Update your broomstick! Put your big girl panties on and stop blaming this girlfriend when it's you and your legal tenants problem to solve!

10 members found this post helpful.

Is part of the problem that you are worried about finding someone to replace the tenant and feed? Since you do not live there during the week, it will be a big inconvenience while you search for another tenent who can feed. But it also sounds like you are expecting them to go when the baby is born, so why not ask them to go now?

People are funny, and if you have given them a really good deal on the rent and shown them that you are a push-over, you might be surprised and have a VERY hard time evicting them. The consent before they moved in may negate the guest clause since she moved in with him.

I say pushover because there is NO WAY I would put up with her coming into my private space or deliberately locking me out.

Good luck - we've had tenents here (just riders staying for the winter), and while it has worked out, it is very stressful.

4 members found this post helpful.

Your problem is that you have a roommate. You should have done what DH's buddy's great aunt did, which is put in a kitchenette upstairs and a separate entrance to make two completely separate units. (Actually she broke the house up into three one bedroom apartments, it was a great big rambly thing and quite easy to do).

Your roommate has now invited another person to live there and that person doesn't understand that she is a roommate also, she thinks she is a renter and entitled to use of the whole house. Hence the boundary disputes.

Evict. And next time go out and buy a nice 35' travel trailer for the sole use of the barn worker.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been covered. But you have someone living in your house, with keys to come and go as she pleases, and you haven't done a background check on her? Holy cow - I would be running one ASAP! There is a reason she doesn't have custody of her first child.

I would tell this guy the situation is no longer working, the place isn't big enough for all of you, and since they have a new baby coming, they need to find somewhere else to live. You will have to give them notice, and do not be surprised if GF wreaks some kind of vengeance on you - either steals or wrecks your stuff on the way out. She has already proven she has no respect for property belonging to others.

5 members found this post helpful.

If I have pieced the pieces together correctly; this was another wonder Craig's List find

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Are you aware you need to cut a 1099-MISC to him for the amount of rent your are compensating him for?
    I think clanter has given you a "hint" that you have leverage....perhaps time to use it.

1 members found this post helpful.

You need to get rid of them both by whatever means you can. If you do anything else short of eviction, your problems will grow.

I can smell it......

3 members found this post helpful.

If you think lack of space will make the tenant and gf move out because of lack of room, then you are mistaken. I bet they move in upstairs during the week whenever they think you won't come down. You need to get rid of the tenant right now, and evict him and the gf, before something awful happens. And since she lost the last child to state custody, then they might take this one also.

I bet if you do a background check on her that you will find out very disturbing things. It's not easy for the child's services people to take a child permanently, and I bet you will be very worried when you find out this woman's background. You need to call your attorney this Monday morning to find out what you have to do to get rid of these people legally. And I agree with others about the great potential for damage to your home and property when they do leave, and have a locksmith on hand to change all locks they have any access to, and make sure they close any utility accounts for your property also.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    If you think lack of space will make the tenant and gf move out because of lack of room, then you are mistaken. I bet they move in upstairs during the week whenever they think you won't come down.
    Yup. OP already knows the gf uses the upstairs, and that's pre-baby. The lack of space for them occurs only on weekends; for a great rental rate they're willing to put up with that, since they have the whole house at their disposal the rest of the week.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think you will have to evict tenant to get gf out, especially with a baby on the way.

Hopefully lesson learned...no give on guest rule. My guess is that had you done the background check on her at the beginning, you wouldn't have this issue as they wouldn't have moved in.

I realize evicting may put you in bind, but she's shown her colors and it's not going to get better, only worse. Hopefully you can get someone new in quickly and the boarders can help out in the meantime.

Moving forward you might want to consider installing a lockable door at the bottom or top of the stairs to remove any temptation. If a door is an option due to design, maybe some kind of lockable "baby gate". Have to say, that is a lot of temptation for many people.

Good luck getting them out. My guess is that she'll fight it and make your life miserable. Sorry.

The sooner you start the process, the better.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

As for the sharing common areas and being pussed about gf using OPs stuff...let me put it to you this way:

We all pay rent at a boarding facility. We all share a common area (tack room), do I just go and grab your saddle and slap it on my horse? No.

When you have room/housemates, you either
    A) have mutual kitchen/house items
    B) label everything your own and respect eachothers stuff

End of story.

Thanks everyone for the comments. They have all been very helpful. Of course the tenant is not here, so I can't have conversation. I am giving him official notice that she must leave now.

I am sure he will leave, but I have others who will feed for me. I like having someone in residence on the farm as an extra set of eyes, ears and hands are useful. But these folks aren't it.

FWIW, GF was only supposed to be around occasionally. I do run complete security checks on my tenant. I do not run one on every guest my tenant may have. I don't think these people are evil, just that they need a different living situation. More space, no roomates to start with.

I have no problem evicting. I've been a landlord for a long time and know how to do that. Fortunately most of my other tenants are lovely people who I keep around for years. But this is an odd rental in that it is out in the country and shared. The people that the rental attracts are not always the best fit.

So, I am hopping on my new electric broom, which I guess is green because it emits no smoke. Mr. IF assures me that they probably hate me already, so I probably don't need the smoke. I guess the Expelliarmus spell will have to do instead.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

11 members found this post helpful.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwalker View Post
    Your tenant is not fine and you know it. He showed you what he was like right from the start when he moved the girl in.
    You caved then and you keep caving when you don't insist he make time to meet you to discuss your concerns.

Renew your membership of the people who like to be treated with respect club! Update your broomstick! Put your big girl panties on and stop blaming this girlfriend when it's you and your legal tenants problem to solve!
    ^^This.^^ Tenant's been a sneak from the beginning, springing the GF on you without notice. And since he won't be part of the solution by addressing the issues with her, he's part of the problem, and needs to go. Yesterday. Before, as someone else pointed out, EGF (Evil Girl Friend) either gets injured on your property and sues you, or gives birth in your house and gets even further entrenched. I'd be giving 30 days notice and starting eviction procedures, if I were you.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

1 members found this post helpful.