The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aftermath of a fall: Favoring her LH and dragging those toes.

About 4 weeks ago my darling mare took a fall in her pasture. It was wet and muddy and she got chased by a stray dog. All appeared to be fine other than some localized swelling in her hock, a little heat there as well, and just overall general soreness on that side of her body.

Now that there is no swelling, no heat, she is just dead lame in that leg. She fell on her left side, and now drags her LH toe. Her stifle also pops on occasion. For a week afterwards, she would not put much weight on that leg unless she absolutely needed to. Then she used it fine. Running & trotting all throughout her two-acre turnout, and even an occasional rear.

And now we are back to square one. Favoring her leg, and dragging her toes.

Farrier will be here within the week to check for bruises stones, abscesses, etc.

She is my first horse, and now I am at a loss as two what to do. She was a Christmas gift (I’ve always leased horses until now) and she means the world to me. I love her dearly. I’ve talked to one friend and she said to wait until I get an evaluation from the farrier before I go to the vet so I can rule out the hoof problems.

I just don’t know what to do. I refuse to ride her in the condition she is in, and she loves being rode, especially in the creek.

What am I to do? Feeling so down as I just don’t know what to do about it. My heart is breaking for my mare. I just truly do not know what to do.

FancyKat

What did the vet say? You did call the vet, right? Oh no, you didn't. Vet is the first stop...the vet can diagnose stone bruises etc, as well as doing an entire lameness exam. How long has she been lame and what are you waiting for?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Call the vet. Has she been lame the entire 4 weeks?

Evet came out when she first fell, and said that she was ok. Just going to be sore for a while.

She has only been lame like this (dragging her toes and really favoring the leg) for three days now.

Have your vet out again.The stifle popping would have ME on the phone NOW. she may have done something else to injure herself.

It may be minor, something that tincture of time will set right -- or it may mean stall rest and therapy. Call your vet.

If she's got an abscess or a bruise, that does not explain the dragging toe, but a joint problem higher up would.

My guess is that she aggravated something being out and running around. Could be an abscess but it is oddly convenient that it is the LH when that is the side she fell on and the side that was sore after the fall. There are any number of things that it could be - I would have the vet out again and have a lameness exam done on her of her LH.

Have the vet out now. Make an emergency call for tomorrow if necessary. Better to get x-rays now and rule out a fracture. If the vet finds any specific area of soreness on palpation- she can also do an ultrasound to rule out tendon/ligament damage.

Until the vet gets there, I'd personally have the horse on stall rest. I'd also be cold hosing or icing the leg just in case.

Agree with everyone above. This doesn't sound like a hoof issue but something else and definitely warrants the vet out ASAP. Keep her in a stall until then and cold hose.