The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else under 60 love A Prairie Home Companion?

I love it. I know I know. I should be ashamed, right? But I LOVE IT. Some of the music is not my bag, but for the most part, I love it. And I love Lake Wobegone. Just love.

My husband and I were on our way home from a ski trip a few years ago when Lake Wobegone came on and he passed a perfectly good gas station much to my astonishment when we needed gas. Me: What are you doing? We had gas right there?!?

Him: Yeah, but Lake W was coming on and we couldn't get it under the awning at that place. So I'm going to find a place so you don't have to miss it.

Yikes. I have a problem!

On now.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Yup.

We love those powder milk biscuits. Ketchup, too!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I know a few other local COTHers who love it. The live performance comes to Wolf Trap on a regular basis and will be here next year.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yes! He recently came to Purdue and I attended with glee
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Me! Got to see it at Wolftrap a year or so ago. Awesome.

Yep, I'm just barely under 60, and spouse is 61, but we enjoy it very much. Our favorite part is the chartered cruises they have each year or so. We've met many good friends on the several cruises we've taken with the group, and we are signed up for the next one which is in August of 2013. It leaves from Barcelona, Spain and ends in Venice. Over a week on a ship with the whole cast and crew, and great music is a real treat. Previous cruises have been to Alaska, Boston to Montreal, Northern Europe and the Caribbean.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, I've listened for better than 15 years now (and I'm just turning 45), so definitely in that demographic. I've seen it live--not to be missed if the show comes to your town. My 16-year-old nephew has been a fan since he was in the womb--he owns several Tshirts, his favorite is the Ketchup Advisory Board one.

I've also sat in driveways and parking lots to finish listening to a segment or song
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Listening right now. What a song at the beginning.

Also not yet 60, but almost. (Gulp.) Caught them at Tanglewood this summer. Have always loved them, but the live show was so much better exponentially. I believe we all stayed about 2-3 hours afterwards still singing. I will do whatever I can to catch them again. Thought about trying to see them this month in NYC, but logistics not there. Also Keillor was just on Charlie Rose this week.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Yep, I'm just barely under 60, and spouse is 61, but we enjoy it very much. Our favorite part is the chartered cruises they have each year or so.
    Sooooo jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I've also sat in driveways and parking lots to finish listening to a segment or song
    Have done the exact same thing.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Been listening to it for as long as I can remember and I'm just approaching 50.

Listened tonight!
    Friend of bar.ka

My herd: Ellie-ottb hunter & Hope, appy pony and babysitter extraordinaire.

oh heavens...........first of all, i say "i just heard on NPR", waaaaaaaaaaay too much...but it's hard not to share all the interesting stuff on there.......

i just turned 55 and i have been listening since my early thirties...lol..i LOVE it when i can make a reference to guy noir, or the ketchup song and someone actually "gets" it.....

soooooooo many driveway moments

It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I'm well under 60 and I love the show. I've been watching it since I was a kid.

My 27 year old husband loves it!

My husband loves it, he's 52, not exactly a whipper snapper, but not 60 either .

OMG I cant stand him!! I love all things NPR and listen voraciously/daily, but the opening lines send me heading for the hills. Maybe its the MANY reruns ruining my weekends, but I cant wait for the regular weekday programming to be on. He promises to retire... I wont donate till he does. There are some CLASSIC episodes, like the Thanksgiving guest one... but his lame singing..nails on a chalkboard. I tried to like him, being a midwesterner and all, but as the years go by I resent PHC more and more! BR- maybe being transplanted has left you nostalgic for Norwegians? Lutherans? Lefse? I posted about this recently on FB, and found out there were more closet haters in my group than I knew!

I grew up listening to Garrison, and now that I travel a lot for work I get to hear him regularly on NPR

I wish reality in america was more like NPR... Everyone is so polite, educated, and cultured.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'm in my late 20's and am also a self-confessed NPR junkie. Love Prairie Home Companion, although it's probably third on my list after Wait, Wait and Car Talk.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I grew up on it. Still listen to it as often as I can.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams