The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What Do You Want For Christmas?

What is something that you are really hoping you get for Christmas?

I would love to get an electric gate opener. I would be the happiest person in the world if one were to show up under the tree this year, I would forgo my b-day, our anniversary, and mother's day for one.

There are a few books I'd like, and since my son is on a tight budget, I told him all i really want from him are some new mixing bowls.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

2 members found this post helpful.

I want a wrist-worn dive computer.

And since my parents were pretty much like "you want a what the hell is that thing you want that we never heard of?" I get to choose it, ship it to them and pretend surprise when I open it up

4 members found this post helpful.

A Dustbuster. Glamorous, eh?

I have totally become a full-on grown-up.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    A Dustbuster. Glamorous, eh? I have totally become a full-on grown-up.
    I've been asking for one of those for years

Knee surgery. I'm all for practical gifts!

(Before I found out that this was necessary, I asked for a bread knife. Not very exciting..)

Aha, good! I'm not the only person who gets giddy over practical-ish gifts for the house/housekeeping.

My gift list has 2 practical-ish gifts on it:
    The beater for the stand mixer with the built in spatula
    A gel-pro/similar mat for the kitchen
    Or gift certificate for a kitchen or restaurant supply store

I call them practical-ish because if it's a necessity, I buy it. If it's not necessary but would be damned handy and/or fun and isn't really inexpensive...I probably will never get around to buying it for myself but would LOVE to have it...hence practical-ish. Useful but not needed.

When I get into baking or cooking, it can be a long time standing in one spot and when on tile and arthritic...that gets painful. But a decent impact-mat isn't inexpensive. It's not a million bucks, but I'm not about to spend $40-$100 on a floor mat for myself.

The beater with the spatula is more convenient than stopping the mixer to scrape sides of bowl repeatedly. And a gift certificate means I can go apeshit bananas on awesome fun kitchen crap! I'm as bad in a kitchen store as I am in a tack shop, LOL!

I think if I ever do a complete rehab on my kitchen I'd just self destruct from happy!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

3 members found this post helpful.

All I want for Christmas is a mince pie. The only thing I hate about the South is they don't "do" mince pies (I'm from Boston, where it isn't Christmas without one!) I've only ever found a Mrs. Smith's frozen one down here ONE year, in 2005, and of course that was the Christmas HRH Avery died and I couldn't choke it down for crying. Did my annual trek around the local grocery stores and nope, no mince pies. Le sigh. (Yes, first world problems, I know!)
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Super, are you a baker? I got a stand mixer (that I love) 2 Xmases ago and sadly, I don't use it much as I don't really bake. It's lovely though! But I get a lot more use out of my food processor and immersion blender!

This year? I want some new cook books. I didn't bother with thinly veiled hints. I gave hubby titles. But I don't think I'll get them. I think I'm getting scarves. Those are nice too.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I love to bake! I get by without a standing mixer (especially in my apartment right now, where I have almost no counter space) just fine, but there are definitely some recipes that would be easier if I had one.

A food processor is higher on my list of kitchen appliances I want to acquire eventually than the mixer, though.

Well, I'm going to be be moving overseas and I really don't NEED a mixer. If I decide to downsize, I would be happy to sell you a lightly used kitchenaid mixer in red if you're still game. I think I'm going to have to get rid of a lot of my kitchen stuff in the next year.

But I won't get rid of my food processor or immersion blender!!!! I use them every week.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

More practical wishes from me: a new boot jack since the old one finally bit the dust after 25 years or so which isnt bad for plastic, a new indoor-outdoor electronic thermometer and a new Elmer Fudd hat....and hope it lasts 14 years like the old one did.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    This year? I want some new cook books. I didn't bother with thinly veiled hints. I gave hubby titles. But I don't think I'll get them. I think I'm getting scarves. Those are nice too.
    Anything in particular that you are looking to cook? I got a huge collection of Southern Living cookbooks. Like twenty years worth.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I would love a Kitchen Aid mixer but I have no counter space for one. I don't really want anything for Christmas except for a couple of books. DH and I are trying to see if we can get a new flat-screen tv to replace the huge old Toshiba we have. We'll see. We have a big plumbing bill and lots of of expenses right now.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

LOL sk_pacer...had to laugh over the Elmer Fudd hat. I have 3 or 4 right now. Mr Blue and I were in an outdoor style store today and I kept gravitating toward all the different Elmer Fudd hats. He said, "Seriously, you don't have enough???" I LOVE those...warmest things ever and the sillier the style, the more I like them. Only thing I don't like about them is when you remove one and every hair on your head suctions itself to your face, LOL!

Hmmm, I could use a new processor. Browsed through a Macy's kitchen section today looking for gift ideas for my newly engaged daughter and was drooling over half the stuff in there. Loving the big motor blenders they have these days...a couple models come with 1 or 2 attachable to-go cups that you can blend a smoothie in, remove cup, add to-go lid and Go. What a useful idea! Blenders with built in heaters and coolers...to make ice cream or soups in. Fun, fun, fun.

And serveware....Oooooo....serveware!

I'd also love a carpenter for a weekend if I were going for a big ticket gift...I have some preliminary plans for a huge banquet for my kitchen that will easily seat 12.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

A car.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    All I want for Christmas is a mince pie. The only thing I hate about the South is they don't "do" mince pies (I'm from Boston, where it isn't Christmas without one!) I've only ever found a Mrs. Smith's frozen one down here ONE year, in 2005, and of course that was the Christmas HRH Avery died and I couldn't choke it down for crying. Did my annual trek around the local grocery stores and nope, no mince pies. Le sigh. (Yes, first world problems, I know!)
    Have you thought of making your own? They are very, very easy. I make my own mince but here you can buy tubs of it at the supermarket. Anyway, the mince is all your favourite dried fruits plus orange rind and golden syrup marinated in sherry. Keep a jar in the fridge and add to shortcrust pastry in patty tins, bake and you're done!

A new EZ Up tent. But I'm getting sapphire & diamond earrings. Which cost half of what the EZ Up costs.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"