The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RJ Classics?

I'm showing for the first timE in Jumpers this year at WEF, and I was wondering if Rj classics coats are a good choice? I'm petite- 5'0 and was wondering if these would be a good choice in black?

I've got a RJ Classics navy hunt coat and I love it. I too am 5' and it fits so well. It was affordable (although I fit into the kids sizes so cheaper even than adults sizes) but I love it. It's super comfortable and looks nice and it's held up now through 5 years of showing.

I have two - one from their lowest line and one from their higher line (got it used!) and I'm hard put to tell the difference! They're both fantastic looking and pretty comfy. IMO< you can't go wrong with their coats!

They are nice coats. Well made, nice materials, good cut. There are very affordable options in the "Essentials" line but also more expensive (with more "bells and whistles") in the "Platinum" and "Diamond" lines.

There are also a few soft shell options but they are pricey. The Collection online store does have one for $100, I believe.

Sure, you can spend more. But why? These are very nice coats.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have two. I'm 4'11". Mine are actually kids sized. One of the larger kids sizes, but still. They are a little cheaper too. I have a black and a grey. I'd like to get a brown.

They also have a "short" sizing option, which is nice.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Really well made jackets,no matter if it is in the lower price range or higher.
    mm

I have two and I really like the quality of them. I'm short so having a coat that comes in a "short" length is really nice.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wear my RJ classics everywhere (from schooling shows to the bigger A/AA shows) I really like them but my only complaint is that they tend to pick up and show dirt/dust really well. That being said I basically only own them because why spend more when you can't really tell the difference?

Great coat, great price! I bet the black would look very respectable in the jumper ring. I love mine so much I have been looking to buy the black one as well. I just bought one of the "Essentials" collection jackets this past summer at a tack sale for $100 to replace my very $$ Tailored Sportsman coat as I lost some weight. I bought the navy windowpane color and couldn't be happier with the fit and quality of the coat off the rack. I had the buttons moved in 1/4" of an inch and it fits me as close to custom as you can get off the rack. I tried the other collections in the RJ line but the cut of the "Essentials" collection fits me the best (yay for me!).

I have worn this coat at both schooling and bigger shows and it is classic and always looks well turned out. It takes a good beating too... I believe I got three shows out of it before taking it to the dry cleaners last time with a light iron in between

I have two RJ Classics coats. They are very well tailored and flattering and they are a good value. Go for it!
    http://www.hunterjumperconnection.com/hjc-blog.html

A blog featuring the musings of a semi-neurotic adult amateur rider on riding, training, showing, life.

Coats are great... breeches don't waste your money.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Coats are great... breeches don't waste your money.
    I agree and I don't care for the shirts either!

But I love the jackets and that they come in short! I can't afford other brands of jackets so it's RJ Classics for me!!!

The coats are lovely, but do try them on before buying, and buy the one that fits when you try them on. I have one regular size and one long size, but both fit me the same. It may have been a one-time quality control thing. I really love how they look, how they are cut; very figure-flattering with the right cut thru the bust so someone less than well endowed does not look deflated, but someone with more in that area would not look overstuffed either. The quality is very nice, worth the price.

I have one and I love it! Short sizes are such a nice thing, too. Note the sizing runs closer to "street sizing" than many other brands; my coat is a size 12S and I wear an 8P or 10P in regular clothing.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine