The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Riding yourhorse on trial

If your horse was away on a falrly long trial (until after Christmas) would you feel right going to pick him up and trail ride him once or twice? No commitment from the people one way or the other yet.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

No. Part of the reason for a horse going on trial is to see how it will do in the potential buyer's/their trainer's program. The owner coming in and riding it (and especially taking it off site) interferes with that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely, positively not.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Gee - and I thought I was doing the huge favour by letting them have my horse on trial. I felt slightly uncomfortable - hence the post - but I still feel he is my horse. Ha ha - he may come back home anyway, he's only out on trial. But with Christmas holidays, I'd like to get out a bit.

If I had a horse in on trial, I would be OK with the owner asking if they could do this, but i would likely say no. The reasons I would say no is that I have likely already vetted the horse AND signed a contract stating the horse is my responsibility. The risk of having it hurt while being hauled and on an offsite trail ride isn't huge, but it is still there.

If you wanted the horse to ride, you should not have let it go on trial.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

5 members found this post helpful.

Eh, I don't see it as a favor letting a horse go on trial. It's a buyer's market. If one seller won't do them that favor well there are plenty others that will. From a seller's perspective, it wouldn't even cross my mind to ask to use a horse I've let go out on trial. From a buyer's perspective I'd be a little annoyed if someone who owned a horse I had on trial wanted to come take it for a couple days. Trial periods are a time for the owner to back off and let the prospective buyer get to know the horse, get a feel of what it would be like owning that particular horse. Something about the seller popping up to not only use the horse but take it off property for a couple days where I have no access to it kind of sh*ts all over that.

8 members found this post helpful.

You are doing them a favor by letting the horse go on trial; not everyone would.

But now he's on trial. He's not your horse to ride right now. If you do ride him/take him offsite, you negate the point of having him on trial in the first place.

Interesting perspectives.

If the roles were reversed, I'd be quite happy to let the seller come by and give him an outing. We are not talking million dollar horses here.

Ah - he may come home anyway and I already miss him.

If you want to ride him, you want to interrupt the trial and you're already missing him why not just call the prospective buyer and tell them you've changed your mind?

I'm kind of getting the vibe deep down you really don't want to part with this horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Go ahead and take him back, if that is what you want. But if your intention is to sell him, let the trial run its course. I assume that there is a contract governing this trial and it would address use of the horse. It should have stipulated that you may want to ride the horse during the trial.

If you need to get out a bit and ride -- see if someone can lend you a horse. If you lived close to my farm, I'd be happy to lend you a Fjord to ride. I have a few that could do a little winter exercise.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

You are right - GaitedGlory - - but decisions have to be made.

Bring him home, Fox.

Just bring him home.

Agree that is sounds like you want to keep your horse. Probably ought to go get him.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You are right - GaitedGlory - - but decisions have to be made.
    Can you find a way to make it work, a way to keep him? I hope you can, it sucks terribly to sell a horse you don't want to part with I know.

If the decision "has" to be made...sadly it would probably be best to start detaching yourself emotionally now starting with not entertaining the thought of interrupting the trial period. Whether it's "right" or "wrong" aside it might be the best thing for you mentally, to get used to the idea of him not being yours. Ripping the band-aid off and all that.

I hope you can find a way to keep him if that's what you want but if not I hope he ends up with someone who loves and enjoys him as much as you obviously do.

If I were the buyer, I would think it was a bit weird for the seller to use the horse during the trial. The trial period would be for *me* to have extended time with the horse to see if I truly thought it would be a good match.

That would make me think the seller really didn't want to sell. If I had shelled out some non-refundable $$$ for the trial and the owner acted this way, I'd be slightly annoyed, particularly if they decided to take the horse back all of a sudden.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Interesting perspectives.

If the roles were reversed, I'd be quite happy to let the seller come by and give him an outing. We are not talking million dollar horses here.

Ah - he may come home anyway and I already miss him.

I can bet that if the role were reversed, you would not let the seller rider their horse while you have it in trial.

You are not thinking straight and understandably miss your horse.

If you want/need to sell this horse, let it finish the trial without interruption.
    If you want your horse back, go get it.

Just try not to change your mind too often!

Honestly if I had a horse in on trial for a client and the horses owner wanted to come ride it every so often while it was on trial I would tell my client to send the horse back and ask to be rembursed for any expenses vet check shipping etc since the owner obviously does not wish to sell the horse. And that it probably would be one of the situations that if the horse did sell the old owner would always be calling etc and honestly not many people want to deal with that.

ETA: If you decide you want your horse back and won't sell then IMO you should pay them back for anything they spent on the horse. Vet, shipping, etc. Because it was YOU who decided to nix the sale not them.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's a little odd that the horse went out without a commitment from the buyer - it's a big risk for the owner. Go see him and give him some carrots, and ask the buyer for a commitment. If they are still waffling, you can always go and get him and take him home with you until they figure out what they want to do. I would not be comfortable letting a horse go out on trial without all the specifics ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    It's a little odd that the horse went out without a commitment from the buyer - it's a big risk for the owner. Go see him and give him some carrots, and ask the buyer for a commitment. If they are still waffling, you can always go and get him and take him home with you until they figure out what they want to do. I would not be comfortable letting a horse go out on trial without all the specifics ironed out.
    Isn't the point of a trial so the buyer can decide if they want to buy the horse? If the buyer commits to buying the horse before the trial, what's the point of taking the horse on trial?