The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies

I'm trying to ignore the physical pain of my tooth and the mental pain of the tragedy, so on to something trivial.

HOW do you get rid of them? I did something that attracted bazillions of them. I got rid of the last of my tomatoes ripening on the counter and the rotten potatoes. They don't just go away. There are literally clouds of them in the kitchen. I looked online, and the water with vinegar and soap doesn't work. I haven't tried vacuuming them because it's damn hard to make them stay still to do so. Mostly what I do is try to catch them when they're sitting and spray them with vinegar/Simple Green and kill them that way.

They have been here a MONTH now. It's actually cold now(for here.) Shouldn't they DIE?

The apple cider vinegar traps should work, given time.

Scrub out your trash cans, replace all sponges and mop heads - both breeding grounds for fruit flies.

Make sure all over ripe food is out of the house - including onions, potatoes, fruit.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

2 members found this post helpful.

Dishes of water with white vinegar or just plain ole water with dish soap.

Or do what I do and leave out a glass of white wine over night. I think they are attracted to the sweetness, fall in and get drunk and drown.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I tried the vinegar for about a week and got four of 'em. Maybe I'll try wine and vinegar.

I did a wine/vinegar/piece of fruit trick. The vinegar and wine helped to make the fruit seem over rip and what I did was mix it all in a plastic solo cup, place a coffee filter inside with just a little hole cut in the center and a rubber band to secure it to the outside. They found their way in because the hole was at the bottom close to the "source" but they couldn't find their way out because they would go to the top of the cup which was being blocked by the filter/rubberband. I left it over night for about 3 days and would then toss in the outside garbage and replace with a new one. I think within a week they were all gone. Good luck, fruit flies suck! lol
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Ah, so make it like a fly trap. I'll have to try that one!

We leave open wine bottles with just an inch or so of wine in them open near the sink. Seems to work well.

My husband went nuts with the fly swatter every day until they were gone. I had to put all my produce including potatoes and such in the garage. We had so many that they were actually up in the ice dispenser part of the fridge and would go into you glass when the ice came out.

It's a pain in the ass to wait it out, but once all your counter produce is gone, they'll die off pretty quickly.

I had clouds of them as well & had the damdest time finding the source. Didn't smell anything, but apparently a stray banana from a bunch my husband had stuck on top of the fridge had escaped & eventually melted. Talk about a mess. Once I disposed of that, 2-3 days later, all the fruit flies were gone.

I had the same problem over this past summer! My advice? Clean everything in the kitchen! Clean behind the stove and under the fridge in case there is any dropped fruit/vegetable bits. Take out the garbage, recycling, and overripe fruit and bleach the trash cans. CHECK DRAINS!! <--That was a HUGE win for me when I tackled the drains because that was where they were breeding...Draino, liquid plumber, or bleach works. Once that is done, get a small disposable cup, fill with something fruity (i.e. tomato bit, piece of strawberry, etc) cover with plastic wrap and poke one or two small holes in the top...they can get in, but usually not out. Leave the cup for a couple days then bag it and throw it away.

That is how I tackled my problem, hope it is helpful!

3 members found this post helpful.

Clean the inside of the garbage disposal also. That includes removing and scrubbing the rubber piece. It pulls out, and you scrub everything, plus the inside of all of the garbage disposal also.

Any fruit or produce that comes in the house from now on needs to be rinsed thoroughly, and let it air dry. I agree there might be another source besides the fruit you dumped. I agree that there might be food residue behind or even inside the stove or under the fridge. And if there is any other food sitting out, it could be there also. Plus you can get gnat type bugs from the garbage disposal or puddles of food or other reside around. Make sure you check for the gunk that builds up on counter seams, and behind faucets too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I use red wine, vinegar and a piece of lemon. Put them at the bottom of a tall container with a paper funnel leading them in. Then, as people suggested, make sure your drains are not the breeding ground. I pour boiling water down them periodically.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have used these fruit fly traps, and they work very well.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,51555,44735

When the small child occasionally misplaces a piece of fruit, we get them. Ugh!

U leave a bottle of white wine open on the counter. Most recently I had an old bottle of moscato that was tasting off-ish and was only 1/4 full. It worked great!!! Between the primitive bottle trap (no Saran wrap needed) and a thorough cleaning, the problem was fixed in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPrestige View Post
    I had the same problem over this past summer! My advice? Clean everything in the kitchen!
    That's what worked for me, too. I compost, so I'll get them if I don't take out things like peelings and cores immediately while it's nice out. And if I get them the only thing that seems to work for me is to do a kitchen deep cleaning.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

When I worked in a restaurant we would get them in the bar and got rid of them by pouring boiling water or bleach down the drains. Apparently they like to breed there.

Thanks. Good ideas. I did do a thorough cleaning, but need another one. I'll beach and hot water the drains. I caught four last night with my wine and banana trap.

We do keep egg shells and coffee grounds in a container to put in the garden. They don't seem to be interested in those, though.

The recipe I got was to heat a pan of hot water to boiling, turn off the heat and add 1 cup of bleach to it. Immediately pour it down the drain in one big glug, and then run the water full blast through the pipes for another 5-10 minutes. One treatment of this got rid of the problem for us last year.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Where the F-udge do those buggers come from in the middle of winter? I do NOT bring in produce from outside sources.

I kill at least one a day.