The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Instructors near the DMV?

Things have finally settled from moving here and I'm on the hunt for a lesson barn!

I grew up riding hunters but took the last few years off as we were living where the only trainers were for reining and a very scary student-taught, university-based riding club (to be fair, there was one barn that had "english" lessons but I think their only qualification to teach was owning a saddle that didn't have a horn). I want to transition to dressage and so have been looking around the web for local-ish trainers.

I would like someone within 50 miles or so of the western edge of Alexandria, have their own lesson horses, and be willing to work out some bad habits I picked up riding hunters. We're paying off student loans so someone close to what I think is the area average (seems to be 60-70 from what I'm seeing online?) would be nice too.

I know there have been a couple of threads about this in the past so I've gotten a sense of some of the locals but I'm just making sure I haven't missed any.

Try Shannon Pedlar. She has some schoolmasters, is in your price range, and is a very kind but competent instructor. She works primarily out of NoVA but also travels to parts of MD (my guy is near Mt Airy). Her contact data is on her website: www.equestrianeventmanagement.com

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Ha! I thought DMV was Dept of Motor Vehicles. The wait can be long enough to fit in a lesson here in SoCal!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe this similar thread might be helpful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Ha! I thought DMV was Dept of Motor Vehicles. The wait can be long enough to fit in a lesson here in SoCal!!
    I live in the DC area (even lived in Alexandria and Springfield) but I haven't the foggiest what DMV means in this instance!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The appropriate term is DC Metro Area and "The DMV" is a nickname that has popped up in the last two years or so but it's still not used regularly.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    The appropriate term is DC Metro Area and "The DMV" is a nickname that has popped up in the last two years or so but it's still not used regularly.
    Oh, thank goodness. I know that I'm behind the times and not up with all the pop culture, but it is good to know that I'm no more than 2 years behind when it comes to local trends!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I keep reading this two ways:

DMV: Dept of Motor Vehicles

and

DMZ: De-Militarized Zone

1 members found this post helpful.

All I got from DMV was the DelMarVa peninsula, but that's not quite the DC Metro area...

DC-Maryland-Virginia
    I think adding "the" before it just kind of evolved, even though it doesn't really make grammatical sense.
    -Another DMV resident
    Come and read my blog about riding on the cheap and my experiences riding in college--the Collegial Equestrian.
    "Like" Collegial Equestrian on Facebook for regular updates!

I hope this "DMV" fades quickly.

Another DC Metro region resident who thinks this is Dept of Motor Vehicles...and this is after someone else had explained it a few weeks ago.

DMV=DC, Maryland, Virginia, specifically the parts of MD & VA close to DC
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping