The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Super... my son viewed my husband that way for the longest time and would not sleep for him. That may very well be it.

If all else fails, hire a babysitter to take care of DD while you go take a nap.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

2 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine went through this with her first. She screamed non stop if she wasn't being held. I don't know how she didn't lose her mind.

My son went through a bad colic period and I didn't get any sleep for I swear 48 hours. Put him in the car for a drive and he finally went to sleep.

I was headed home, coasted down a hill and ended up doing 35 in a 25 by the time I hit the bottom. Next thing I know, flashing blue lights. Pulled over, baby wakes up and starts screaming. I was at the end of my rope.

Get out of car.

Officer: Ma'am, please get back in the car.

I proceed to car seat. Ma'am, please get back in the car.

Get screaming child out of car seat. Ma'am, please get back in the car.

I hold baby out - "YOU WOKE HIM UP YOU PUT HIM BACK TO SLEEP"

Sigh. Ma'am, just go home.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

17 members found this post helpful.

You have my deepest sympathies!

I have 2 children: 22 years old (soon to be 23) and an 11 year old. Neither one were very good sleepers until well over a year old.

What worked for the oldest one: dancing around the room to any music.

What worked for the youngest one: enforced stillness. If he could move even just bouncing his leg while on my lap, he would stay awake. He would resist being kept still, because he didn't want to stop having a good time. It was almost like he had to continue to be swaddled even though he was well past the age where you could really make that work. He was close to 15 months old before he fell asleep with out being held still. He was one who went from taking 2 naps a day to 1 nap to no nap WAY sooner than expected. I can't remember the exact ages, but I know he went to preschool as a 2 1/2 yr old and was not napping AT ALL then. Each person has their own level of required sleep.

The older one eventually turned into a champion sleeper, still is to this day. Loves to nap, sleep in...his ideal amount of sleep is close to 12 hours.

The younger one is a good sleeper. Puts himself to bed when tired and typically sleeps 7-8 hours. If he naps, I know he's sick.

It is really hard on your sanity when you aren't getting the sleep you need. 10 months without a good nights sleep makes it hard to be rational.

I hope that you are able to find a way to get babes to sleep.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Would this be inappropriate to insert into this conversation?
    I am openly weeping with laughter in a Starbucks in midtown. I've read the book, but Samuel L Jackson just makes that story.

ETA--I was really, really bad sleeper. I mean I wouldn't sleep at night, wouldn't nap, but part of the problem was I was exceptionally prone to ear infections, and it hurt my ears more when I was lying down. When I finally got tubes for the first time (I think I was 2?), I finally started sleeping better and didn't wake up screaming unless it was meal time. So maybe next check-up just make sure there's nothing medical that could be bothering her?

Also I totally recommend the babysitter idea--when I got started babysitting around 14, for $15 I'd watch a baby for a couple hours while mama could get some sleep or do some work. There are responsible teenage girls out there, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Why flame suit, JD? No harm in trying something!
    OH I WAS KEEPING HERE THERE WHEN SHE DIDNT WANT TO STAY! I WARPED HER FOR LIFE! I SHOULDA SAT HER DOWN AND TOLD HER WHYS SHE NEEDED TO STAY IN BED, THEN TOLD HER WHY SHE COULDNT GET UP, THEN ASKED HER WHY SHE WAS GETTING UP, THEN TOLD HER WHY SHE NEEDED TO STAY IN BED.

I have aunt/uncle who are psyc people, there kids were messed up until they were grown from this kinda stuff. Yeah my kids got spanked if/when needed, they are fine bright responsible kids now. You figure it out.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

You have my sympathies. My son did not sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time until he was about five months old. Seriously.

You will make it, I promise! Hang in there.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    OH I WAS KEEPING HERE THERE WHEN SHE DIDNT WANT TO STAY! I WARPED HER FOR LIFE! I SHOULDA SAT HER DOWN AND TOLD HER WHYS SHE NEEDED TO STAY IN BED, THEN TOLD HER WHY SHE COULDNT GET UP, THEN ASKED HER WHY SHE WAS GETTING UP, THEN TOLD HER WHY SHE NEEDED TO STAY IN BED.

I have aunt/uncle who are psyc people, there kids were messed up until they were grown from this kinda stuff. Yeah my kids got spanked if/when needed, they are fine bright responsible kids now. You figure it out.

Dear lord. Did people really tell you that?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Dear lord. Did people really tell you that?
    No one needed to tell me, Ive seen many people try to reason with 1-2 y/o kids, you can reason with a 10 year old maybe. Just work in church nurshery and you will see.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

1 members found this post helpful.

No, I meant did people really give you a hard time for holding her snug until she fell asleep?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Y'all said everything that I needed to hear. I love COTH.

Luckily DH was able to be home for bedtime and I am now hiding under the covers with an entire bottle of wine and a tub of ice cream.

2 members found this post helpful.

When you and your husband are home together for the whole day, how does she act about nap time?

If I put her down for her morning naps, she will scream until my husband walks in. He'll pick her up and rock her in, and she'll be asleep in minutes.

If I pick her up, she is quiet until I put her down, then she screams. If Mike puts her down first, she falls asleep without a peep.

No advice, but feel your pain. Deeply. Truly. With a 2 year old.

I would say you have to put her down more but... you stay at home more...

I thought my son got over this whole I can't go to bed for Daddy thing after my c section but since DH has been slacking with helping with bed time and night wakeups for the past month and a half or so... the last few times I made him he won't go to bed or back to bed for him at all. Ugh... I am so frustrated with it. Good luck OP babies are tough sometimes!