The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A little OT but I keep reading posts about "mud" and "winter" and it almost doesn't compute in my head. You mean there's places in winter where the ground doesn't freeze solid and disappear under 2-3 feet of snow??

No mud up here right now...just a few feet of snow and a horse who's tail, mane, ears, and neck are covered in hoar frost!

Yeah, Western NY. Our winter was so mild last year that we only plowed the driveway once. ONCE. And it was 70* in March.

There have been years when the snow covered the ground from the first week of November to the end of March with still more through the end of April. I have never been so sick of mud.

When I go home to NE Connecticut at Christmas lately it has been gray, rainy and muddy. It used to be cold, maybe with snow, but at least not drizzle & dull. boo.

Yes, here in southern ME we had a nice coating of snow last week-end but it turned to rain and everything is mud now. Hate it. My horse just got winter shoes on...so bring in the snow! At least when she rolls in snow she's clean!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    My horse just got winter shoes on...so bring in the snow! At least when she rolls in snow she's clean!
    AMEN!

You know, this is interesting that you bring up not brushing in the winter...years ago I heard the same advice given in regards to donkeys.

Yeah it was a long time ago and from old timers then,....so doubt it was just to get out of work, maybe just a misunderstanding of how the hair lifts, thinking the dander acted as an insulator?

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Mine are out 24/7 too and sometimes just a quick once over is all they get. BUT when I'm in a hurry to ride, God Bless the Shop-Vac with brush attachment Five minutes of sucking out the dirt and we're good to go. Plus their coat is totally fluffed & puffed.
    I was wondering if anyone made a good brush attachment for a shop vac. What kind do you use and where did you find it?

Looks like an old thread that got revived, but I'll chime in anyway! I also always heard that the hair needs to be able to fluff up to keep them warm, but my TB refuses to believe this so he would prefer to spend the winter covered in mud, thankyouverymuch. I do wonder if the mud provides some sort of insulation, or at least wind protection, since no matter how much I would try to keep him clean, he would go right back to the mud and get dirty again!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran