The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRtHdFctdvQ
    And yes, we had it on a 78.

The Holly And The Ivy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7eHtDtZ7hs

Traditional carols, performed by massed choirs, full orchestra, and large pipe organ with an organist who plays it like Mario Andretti used to drive an IndyCar.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the Nutcracker's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy". However, I am very fond of "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree" with Brenda Lee....she was my childhood crush.

OOH a couple.
    The ORIGINAL Little Drummer Boy.
    Holly Jolly Christmas
    and Jingle Bell Rock

Cosby/Bowie Little Drummer Boy
    I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas
    George Winston's Carol of the Bells

There's another one that I can't think of...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Got it! Belleau Wood by Garth Brooks. Also Silent Night & The Gift by him...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

It's not a Christmas song really, but I only hear it on the radio during Christmas song season and that's Alabama's "angels among us." hands down my favorite song followed closely by their " thank god for kids"
    Just the other day I heard Blake Sheltons Christmas version of "home" it had me bawling so hard that I had to pull over. I get so homesick every year at Christmas.

O Come All Ye Faithful - such a joyous song. I especially love the verse "Yea, Lord we greet thee, born this happy morning"

Still, Still, Still is another favorite. It's beautiful. I used to love listening to it after midnight mass on Christmas Eve in the dark, watching the snow fall.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

Grew up listening to Mario Lanza's recording of Christmas carols. Very traditional and he had a wonderful voice.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Old words, new music: Adam Lay Abounden

Old words and music: Past 4 O'Clock

I am a confirmed athiest who never misses Nine Lessons and Carols. One year I was at a house without a working radio, so I went and sat in the car all by myself to lsiten.

My father went to University at Cambridge. While he was there (late 40s), he was able to get tickets, and took my mother (not yet his wife) to attend it in person.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Old words, new music: Adam Lay Abounden

Old words and music: Past 4 O'Clock

I am a confirmed athiest who never misses Nine Lessons and Carols. One year I was at a house without a working radio, so I went and sat in the car all by myself to lsiten.

My father went to University at Cambridge. While he was there (late 40s), he was able to get tickets, and took my mother (not yet his wife) to attend it in person.
    I'm so jealous of your parents for going! We listen to Kings College Cambridge Lessons and Carols every single year! I LOVE it. My school used to do Lessons and Carols, and its probably the single school event I miss most. It was the only one where the entire school (grades 1-12) got together in the same building. Our headmaster officiated it in his full robes, we had the smallest boy in the choir singing the first verse of Once in Royal David's City and everything. Lessons were read in English and other languages. Everyone should go to a Lessons and Carols - it is truly a magical service.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Another vote for the Wexford Carol, and also for another old, old carol, Tomorrow Shall be my Dancing Day. I also like the Coventry Carol, but had forgotten the name until reminded on this thread!

The one I don't care for is Do You Hear What I Hear? - mostly because I don't like the verse about the poor baby Jesus shivering in the cold and being offered...silver and gold. Bunch of ninnies. Give the baby a blanket!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I should check and see if they're doing Lessons and Carols at the Episcopal church around the corner from me... I do love the Cambridge singers...

Default I hadn't started really listening to Christmas music till this week again

But another one of my favorites is Troika. It is from Lt Kije? or something like that. I have heard strains of it in I think it is called Father Christmas by Emerson Lake and Palmer.
    O Holy Night is hard to beat. The Christmas canon, and who doesn't love Eartha Kitt singing Santa Baby?
    And of course sleigh Bells with the 'neighing' horse at the end.
    Another killer of threads

The First Noel.

Also lpve Crosby/Bowie drummer boy. Oh Holy Night is my favorite. Play it year rpund.

So, many, but secular/fun: The Man with the Bag, Silver Bells

Religious: He is Born, the Holy Child/Il est Ne, that Mickey just mentioned; also Ding, Dong, Merrily on High, instrumental or vocal

Gesu Bambino, instrumental or vocal

Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine

On Christmas Night (love the carolers singing it on the streets near the beginning of the George C. Scott A Christmas Carol)
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen as performed by Manheim Steamroller. Never fails to get me in the Christmas spirit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhc2DSsDhG0

It's best heard on a nice stereo...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Remember O Thou Man
    Gabriel's Message
    The Holly and the Ivy
    Carol of the Bells

I, too, love Christmas Wrapping. So funny and cheerful.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I must say my real favorite is Snoopy's Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbhzqoYYROA

I distinctly remember marching around the dining room table at my grandparents house with my brother and sister, our hands held in a salute. I recall being small enough to barely see over the table when I looked giggling over at my sis and bro-it was like a waterline camera shot. The song brings me right back and I always get a bit teary in a good way when I hear it almost fifty years later
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Having started in glee club in the 7th grade, I love to sing most carols. My favorites to sing are "Noel" (the first noel, the angels did say) and the Vince Vance and the Valiants' version of "All I want for Christmas is You." (take back the holly and mistletoe)

Carols should be sung with a beat and rhythm. Too many singers want to show how slowly and how many notes they can hit, instead of singing the song. Just quit dragging those notes around!

And I like Elvis' Blue Christmas. As well as all of the old traditional carols we sang in glee club and church.

Over the years, I've caroled on foot and on horseback. Joy to the World!