The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Oh this has revived some memories! I do love the Bing Crosby/David Bowie song, and also The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping. I used to sing Il Est Ne Le Divin Enfant" in French class and I'm struggling for all the words so I'm going to listen to the link, thank you! And also must go listen to The Pogues' song which I never even heard of.

I also thought of Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings. Sarah's voice in that is stunning, I think.

Lots of YouTubing to follow!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

One more, from Australia.

Katie Noonan is a fantastic singer. Here she is singing The Christmas Song.

The Wexford Carol, goes back to the 12th century. Nanci Griffith sings it with the Chieftains here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnrHE6FP5w
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

1 members found this post helpful.

I forgot about Carol of the Bells. Love that one. Also, not technically Christmas but it's turned into it - the dances of the Nutcracker. LOVE those.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I love so many...but have adopted Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey as our official song, since my mother is 1/2 Sicilian. I use it to harass my parents every year about how they need a donkey!

There really are so many pretty songs. I am sure we all like the animal related ones: the Friendly Beasts, etc.

the Gift (about the nightingale) made me tear up the first time I heard it.

Strange Way to Save the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldpIObdj7-g

Mary Did You Know?-dont care for CeeLo but his voice si good for this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ptNwE7K8o

Agree with whoever said O Holy Night is done muchmore often wrong than wright.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Raised Jewish, not even remotely religious, and I love Christmas music. Christmas Eve in Sarajevo and Little Drummer Boy top my list.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My very favorite is "Christians, Awake!"

I also love "Go Tell It on the Mountain," which I rarely get to hear, and "Once in Royal David's City," and "The Friendly Beasts," and ... oh, I love almost all of them!

Good grief, I just realized I want to be able to listen to the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College Cambridge again this Christmas Eve. I have been able to hear it every year now for years, sometimes through true miracles, so I have hopes that I will get to this year too.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I just searched youtube for this and found it. Absolutely beautiful! I agree with the part about 'not showcasing'--that also happens too much with the National Anthem.

I got to play this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnBBgLEPJL8
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post
    I just searched youtube for this and found it. Absolutely beautiful! I agree with the part about 'not showcasing'--that also happens too much with the National Anthem.

I got to play this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnBBgLEPJL8
    Thank you for posting that! I'd always hoped Guillaume might record O Holy Night for a Christmas album, but it never happened.

He sings it the way it's meant, IMO. A clear, lovely voice, and he doesn't use it to show off. Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    My very favorite is "Christians, Awake!"

I also love "Go Tell It on the Mountain," which I rarely get to hear, and "Once in Royal David's City," and "The Friendly Beasts," and ... oh, I love almost all of them!

Good grief, I just realized I want to be able to listen to the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College Cambridge again this Christmas Eve. I have been able to hear it every year now for years, sometimes through true miracles, so I have hopes that I will get to this year too.
    Love these broadcasts. I remember my parents had vinyl recordings of KCC when I was an ankle biter...55-60 years ago.

My all-time favorite carol is "In the Bleak Midwinter". Cry every time, especially at the last verse...what Christmas is, to me.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Hallelujah chorus, O Holy Night, Carol of the Bells, and the one that makes me cry every time: Pat a Pan by Mannheim Steamroller (much more powerful when you've seen the video that goes with that version).

If you're tired (and who isn't?) of all the same old songs by various artists, it's worth looking for Women of Christmas in the Garden of Lilith. Songs you've probably never heard and some you have by unexpected women artists. It's the only complete Christmas album on my playlists, the rest are cherry picked.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    also, for any anglophiles out there, Britten's Ceremony of Carols remains one of my fav works ever. That's the one time I wish I still sounded like a boy soprano because I was a soloist for that for years at church.
    I would LOVE to perform that harp part with a choir some day. Its such a pretty piece, but the harp part is tricky, and its so important to do it correctly.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is a very nice thread!

My students usually vote for Jingle Bells first, then usually Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer or We Three Kings. For some reason, they really love the Kings. I also have a book of carols, Chanukah and winter songs that my Jewish students love to play, so they can enjoy participating in the music during their own holidays. It's more fun when everyone can play!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred_Petra View Post
    I would LOVE to perform that harp part with a choir some day. Its such a pretty piece, but the harp part is tricky, and its so important to do it correctly.
    It really is. It's difficult for choir, too, mainly because you're dealing with dissonant harmonies most under twelve-year olds haven't had exposure to yet.

I'll be rootin' for ya when you play it!

Edit: just wanted to add this for people who might be curious. This is one of the movements from A Ceremony of Carols. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4k0Mf7i8s
    Last edited by Pony+ an inch; Dec. 16, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas music but I like the Barenaked Ladies/Sarah McLachlan God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen and the Kinks Father Christmas.

I will admit this version of this song did warm my little Grinch-like heart and make me smile.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEfszb9h8Q

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    It really is. It's difficult for choir, too, mainly because you're dealing with dissonant harmonies most under twelve-year olds haven't had exposure to yet.

I'll be rootin' for ya when you play it!

Edit: just wanted to add this for people who might be curious. This is one of the movements from A Ceremony of Carols. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4k0Mf7i8s
    If I ever get to play it I'll need all the rooting I can find!

It makes me feel better that its just as hard for the choir though.

I really prefer all of Handel's Messiah. Even though it emcompasses the whole story of Christ, both Christmas and Easter, it is great music. Right now I can hear:
    "Wonderful, Counselor, Almighty Father ?" in my head.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    I really prefer all of Handel's Messiah. Even though it emcompasses the whole story of Christ, both Christmas and Easter, it is great music. Right now I can hear:
    "Wonderful, Counselor, Almighty Father ?" in my head.
    Unto Us This Child Is Born, personal favorite.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

2 members found this post helpful.