The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Yes. My husband and I, very romantically, end up singing this to each other every Christmas Eve.

"I coulda been someone..."
    "Well, so could anyone."

They had it at a karaoke bar in Tokyo when we were there and it was probably the most excited we have ever been about anything, including our own wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Hallelujah Chorus
    White Christmas
    Joy to the World
    Thatwould be my list, just adding the Boar's Head Carol!

Hallelujah Chorus sang top volume....just wonderful! Cry every time!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Yes. My husband and I, very romantically, end up singing this to each other every Christmas Eve.

"I coulda been someone..."
    "Well, so could anyone."
    Last week, the Guardian had an excellent write-up on the story behind the song. Fairytale of New York: the story behind the Pogues' classic Christmas anthem

For those unfamiliar with this song -- sadly, many Americans don't know it -- Fairytale of New York is consistently voted as the greatest Christmas song ever in the UK and Ireland.

The Guardian story shows that the song was hardly a throwaway. The band -- Shane MacGowan especially -- worked hard on it for two years. They wanted it to be timeless, and it is.

And RIP Kirsty MacColl, who was mowed down by a motorboat just before Christmas in 2000.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not religious, but my three favorite Christmas songs are "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent", "Coventry Carol", and the Ralph Vaughn Williams "Greensleeves". I actually performed the Vaughn Williams in harp several years ago, and it was such an amazing experience that song will always be a favorite of mine.

We go caroling Christmas Eve every year. When I was a kid (and my dad and his siblings before him) Santa came while we were out.

I love the traditional carols. Silent Night was my childhood favorite. Up on the Housetop, Away in a Manger, Hark the Herald Angels Sing. We sang Joy to the World at my aunt's funeral - she loved Christmas and that was her favorite song. Very odd choice for a funeral but it worked. And now I can't hear that without thinking of her.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Also, the Carpenters. I was raised on the Carpenters' CD (a late-'70s CD.)
    Dean Martin. We have the tape.
    Floyd Cramer's piano music.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I actually work for a caroling company and get hired out at the beginning of November until beginning of January, and I have sung about every secular and sacred holiday song under the sun at this point. I truly cannot stand Little Drummer Boy (it is boring to sing and boring to listen to, in my opinion). The other day a man asked our group if we could sing 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," and I replied that unfortunately we didn't have that song on hand (which was true) and did he have another request, he snarled at me and asked who the heck didn't know "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." Apparently that is now standard Christmas rep? I missed that memo.

I love "es ist ein Ros entsprungen" (Lo how a rose e'er blooming) and "still, still, still."

I would say I love "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion" from Messiah, but at the moment the runs are driving me batty, and I keep having dreams that I'm practicing them, but then I worry they're not correct, so there I am at a piano at 3AM checking the score. ACK.

also, for any anglophiles out there, Britten's Ceremony of Carols remains one of my fav works ever. That's the one time I wish I still sounded like a boy soprano because I was a soloist for that for years at church.

Here are some other favourites from across the pond.

Slade -- Merry Christmas Everybody
    Wizzard -- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
    Jona Lewie -- Stop the Cavalry

I was raised on BBC radio.

Default Hark the Herald Angels sing

I think I love that because of It's a Wonderful Life. I haven't even seen the Christmas thread movie, but there it is.
    'Every man on that transport died because Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry. You see, youv'e really had a wonderful life."
    And now back to regular programming.
    I also love Silent Night, especially by Manheim Steamroller. And O Holy Night by anyone with a good vouce. Perry Como anyone? And for fun, I like Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives, and The one Bobby Helms sings. I am blanking on the name....
    Another killer of threads

All Poor Men and Humble (O Deued Pob Christion) - traditional Welsh

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=q2YuLeE2tVY

Cantique de Noel (more commonly known as O Holy Night. But it had better be sung by a REALLY top-notch soloist who does not use it to showcase their own vocal signatures (hello screaming Mariah, gurgling Celine, and windbaggy Josh Groban). One of the best versions I ever heard, no kidding, was sung by Robert Guillaume on a "Benson" Christmas special!

And of course the Hallelujah Chorus!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is probably my most favorite contemporary one no matter who sings it. I don't even think Judy Garland's version is the best, but it's very good..
    I cannot get past having heard what the original lyrics were going to be (it's from "Meet Me In St. Louis". For context, it's from a low point in the movie when they think they'll be moving away and whatshername, Judy Garland's character, sings it to little sister Margaret O'Brien.) The original song went "Have yourself a merry little Christmas/it may be your last/next year we may all be living in the past..." Apparently Garland went to the writers and said, "I can't sing her THIS! People will think I'm a monster!"

Likewise I can't get around that Handel's Messiah is meant for Easter, not Christmas (the Hallelujah Chorus is about Christ rising from the dead.)

My favorite overall is one that does NOT get a lot of play-The Sans Day Carol. ("The first tree in the greenwood/it was the holly.") Also love "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" (or Harold Angel, if you're Sally Brown), "Adeste Fidelis), "Joy To the World", "In Dulce Jublio", "Gaudete", "Good King Wenceslas", "The Holly and the Ivy", "I Saw Three Ships", "Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella".

Contemporary/modern written...My favorite is probably a pretty obscure one except to Muppet fans, "It's In Every One Of Us" (John Denver sings it in "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together", which is an AWESOME special, btw.) I also like "God Bless Us Every One", which was written for the 1984 "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott as Scrooge.

And unfortunately, I work in a restaurant that plays background music. At first, I was relieved that we started holiday music because I was starting to think there are Satanic messages in Frank Sinatra's Duets album. Now if I hear "The Christmas Song", "Here Comes Santa Claus", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", or "Baby It's Cold Outside" one more time I may do something violent. Over and over and over and over...and the owner is using Pandora! It should be picking more than the same few songs in different covers! But it doesn't!

2 members found this post helpful.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" (their Carol of the Bells version). I love that song, gives me chills every time I hear it.
    TSO comes to this area almost every year, next year I want to get tickets because hearing that live would be freaking amazing.

Last week, the Guardian had an excellent write-up on the story behind the song. Fairytale of New York: the story behind the Pogues' classic Christmas anthem

For those unfamiliar with this song -- sadly, many Americans don't know it -- Fairytale of New York is consistently voted as the greatest Christmas song ever in the UK and Ireland.

The Guardian story shows that the song was hardly a throwaway. The band -- Shane MacGowan especially -- worked hard on it for two years. They wanted it to be timeless, and it is.

And RIP Kirsty MacColl, who was mowed down by a motorboat just before Christmas in 2000.
    The BBC did a documentary about FToNY and the story behind it. http://youtu.be/SW_WSQpewNY
    Fantastic song by one of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

One of my favourites is the French carol, Il est né le Divin Enfant.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKr-29cOf64

And here is Siouxie and Banshees doing a version of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olpr4NDxRIk
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

That was fabulous. Thank you. And I totally didn't know that about Kirsty McColl... ):

The duet by Bing Crosby and David Bowie of Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

3 members found this post helpful.

Once in Royal David's City by Mary Carpenter. It is on Youtube and is stunning. To be honest though, all versions of this old hymn are lovely.

Shane MacGowan revisited Christmas in the mid-90s with Christmas Lullaby.

Assuming that all Shane MacGowan fans are also Nick Cave fans, Nick Cave has an interesting outtake from The Boatman's Call with a Christmas theme: I Do Dear I Do.