The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another top horse gets a new UL eventing rider

Kauto Star, multiple Gold Cup hero and one of the all-time greats of steeplechasing, is going to eventer Laura Collett's to learn the fine art of dressage.

Not everyone is happy with the move, especially not former trainer Paul Nicholls, his family and his staff. Because Kauto Star is a huge star, it's made headlines in the UK.

The Kauto Star tug-of-love story is breaking racing fans' hearts: Celebrity horse cannot tell us if he is enjoying his new life in Strictly Come Dressage

Don't miss the comments. This one is awesome: 'But Jesus, dressage though? A quick look at Wikipedia revels that it's basically dancing horses ,and toffs with big teeth. What a tragic retirement for the Greatest Chaser of all Time.'

Given his history of heart-stopping misses (and a couple of scary falls), I'd be terrified to see Kauto as an eventer. However, he is a gorgeous horse and he'd look mighty impressive in the dressage ring. He's also a total ham and very much believes in his own superstardom, so dressage might be a good activity for him.

Neptune Collonges
    has managed to win his first dressage ribbons in the same year as he won the Grand National. Denman, Kauto's BFF and great rival, is out hunting on the Badminton estate with the Duke of Beaufort's.

I hope all three of these racing stars enjoy their new disciplines. They've certainly earned a happy retirement.

2 members found this post helpful.

Years ago a friend of mine, an advanced level rider, bought a timber horse in hopes of turning her into an eventer. Without putting too much time into her training I think I started her out at preliminary level--back when you could do such a thing.

Cross country at 800 meters per minute was, um, interesting to watch.

I think he sold her as a broodmare prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Kauto Star, multiple Gold Cup hero and one of the all-time greats of steeplechasing, is going to eventer Laura Collett's to learn the fine art of dressage.

Not everyone is happy with the move, especially not former trainer Paul Nicholls, his family and his staff. Because Kauto Star is a huge star, it's made headlines in the UK.

The Kauto Star tug-of-love story is breaking racing fans' hearts: Celebrity horse cannot tell us if he is enjoying his new life in Strictly Come Dressage

Don't miss the comments. This one is awesome: 'But Jesus, dressage though? A quick look at Wikipedia revels that it's basically dancing horses ,and toffs with big teeth. What a tragic retirement for the Greatest Chaser of all Time.'

Given his history of heart-stopping misses (and a couple of scary falls), I'd be terrified to see Kauto as an eventer. However, he is a gorgeous horse and he'd look mighty impressive in the dressage ring. He's also a total ham and very much believes in his own superstardom, so dressage might be a good activity for him.

Neptune Collonges
    has managed to win his first dressage ribbons in the same year as he won the Grand National. Denman, Kauto's BFF and great rival, is out hunting on the Badminton estate with the Duke of Beaufort's.

I hope all three of these racing stars enjoy their new disciplines. They've certainly earned a happy retirement.

I really really hope they stick with dressage and don't try eventing. Some of the British press mentioned that owner and trainer had been arguing over the last year about when to retire him. Anyone know who wanted what?