The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First, the title of this thread made me laugh out loud!

Ours is an SPCA special, so we aren't entirely sure how old he is. It is painfully obvious that no one ever did anything with him in his past life.
    He does the wriggle on his back and smile thing, and sleeps with all four in the air. I thought the running into things/ people was just him. Huh.
    He barks incessantly...like he just gets stuck. I think he was left alone too long as a puppy and invented his own ACD OCD methods to pass the time.
    He also menaces his own foot. ...Not sure what that's about. There's a couple screws loose with this one.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Wow...I guess I forget how many people can't deal with extremely intelligent dogs who love to have fun. How unfortunate as I (personally) can't seem to find another breed I enjoy nearly as much!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I'd never have anything but a cattle dog, and enjoy him immensely! The only reason we have a Golden is because he came with the boyfriend Just because we are ribbing about their behavior doesn't mean we "can't deal" with them!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Wow...I guess I forget how many people can't deal with extremely intelligent dogs who love to have fun. How unfortunate as I (personally) can't seem to find another breed I enjoy nearly as much!
    I'm not sure what you mean by this but I love my dog and wouldn't trade her for anything. I have no problem at all dealing with a smart dog and I don't see anyone else on this thread with a problem either.

When I get my laptop back I will link to my pictures. She loves to swim year round, even when it's snowing. If there's water, she's going to be in it.

Ditto!! I love my two more than anything, and will never have another breed for "my dog". My husband can have his GSD if he wants, but I'm an all ACD girl now. Although if I am very honest , most of the ones I see in the clinic are far too much dog for their owner.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

No complaining here, just wanted to share about my ACD and see what she shares in common with other ACDs! I don't think I could have any other breed after having such an intelligent and fun-loving energetic dog

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    If I couldn't "deal" with them, I wouldn't have four.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Default Yes you did scare me away...

and I thought I was fearless.

I think it takes a special kind of dog mom to deal with your ACDs or OCDACDs, might be a better description! LOL.

I've been accused of being special, but I also know you have to be smarter than your dog.

I'm not sure I'd be the smartest girl in the room with one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Pretty sure I'll have to pass now.

Carry on.
    I had one, actually I had two. Never again! If you don't have a job for them, they'll invent their own. Mine would herd the cows for no apparent reason and try to herd the horses but my horses just ignored them.

My old farm had a ladder to the loft. Maggie would climb the ladder and carefully walk onto the rafters over the horse stalls and snatch and kill the roosting guineas- until I caught onto her game and removed the bottom rungs of the ladder. The final straw was when they killed my big friendly goose- I found new homes for both of them rather quickly after that.

But I'd take another half-heeler in a heartbeat. I had an "oops" puppy- half heeler and half German Shepherd X. She was the smartest, best-est farm dog EVER! She was kind to all animals and almost all people- the only person I ever saw her growl at was a belligerent horse-trader type that thought he'd just walk on up to the (obviously private) barn without stopping at the house. She was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime dog.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Pretty sure I'll have to pass now.

Carry on.
    I was actually referring ONLY to this post (entitled "I just thought I wanted one,"), not the rest! As someone who prefers at least half Heeler dogs, I'm in the same "crazy boat" as the rest of you! And I'm danged happy to be there!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I had one, actually I had two. Never again! If you don't have a job for them, they'll invent their own. Mine would herd the cows for no apparent reason and try to herd the horses but my horses just ignored them.

My old farm had a ladder to the loft. Maggie would climb the ladder and carefully walk onto the rafters over the horse stalls and snatch and kill the roosting guineas- until I caught onto her game and removed the bottom rungs of the ladder. The final straw was when they killed my big friendly goose- I found new homes for both of them rather quickly after that.

But I'd take another half-heeler in a heartbeat. I had an "oops" puppy- half heeler and half German Shepherd X. She was the smartest, best-est farm dog EVER! She was kind to all animals and almost all people- the only person I ever saw her growl at was a belligerent horse-trader type that thought he'd just walk on up to the (obviously private) barn without stopping at the house. She was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime dog.
    Yeah, we want to raise meat birds, but I'm certain that Rusty would love to end their lives rather quickly if he could get ahold of them.

My parents also have a cat that he would kill if he caught ahold of her. Their other cat, he's fine with, we have a cat and he's fine with him (plays a little rough sometimes, but doesn't try to kill him!) and I brought him to a friends house and he wasn't mean to her cat (in fact, her cat literally chased the dog around the property and Rusty came running back to me...). But that one cat that my parents have would come to an unfortunate end if he ever catches her...I'm not sure why he is only fixated on her...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Cats! Forgot about the cats. Our guy loves the cats (in the good way) and has wanted to be friends with them since we got him. He is just usually too exuberant for their tastes.

Enter Thorgrim Doomkitten, our 6 month old kitten who I have had from 2 weeks old and bottle fed. (Long story, foster kitten for SPCA, DH named him). Because he has no proper cat mother to teach him proper Kitty Dignity, he loves the dogs...a lot. The heeler likes to go up to him, squash him with one foot, and nibble up and down the kitten's spine with his little incisors. Thorgrim thinks this is the most wonderful thing in the world.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

See, that's not my dog. He was accused of killing Memaw's guineas when we'd visit. It wasn't him, it was HER dog!

And cats are his best friend. He adores cats!

The puppy would probably kill birds, but he doesn't know what do do about cats. My old lady bats him in the nose and won't take crap from him, but he seems more curious than hurtful.

My ACD loves to chase the cats, but also loves a good cuddle with them when they choose not to run from her.

A few years ago, one of the cats injured a baby wild rabbit. We have rehabilitated baby wild rabbits in the past, so we brought this one in the house for about two weeks while it healed. My ACD took the baby rabbit as her own baby and wouldn't let it out of her sight and cared for it as much as she could. Sometimes I wish she wasn't fixed, because she would be such a loving mother!