The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are Passier PS Baum trees adjustable?

There are a couple on eBay that are what I am looking for, but they are MW, and my horse really needs a medium tree. One ad claims the trees are adjustable. Is this true?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Yes, but tree adjustments have to be done by a good saddler and and isn't cheap. The cheapest going rate is through Smith Worthington in Connecticut, which is in the neighborhood of $120-$150 + the cost of return shipping to you (sorry, can't remember the precise number off the top of my head.)

Passier does make another synthetic tree that is not adjustable, but the PS Baum is their old standby and is a wood laminate tree that's adjustable by a few sizes in either direction.

Chances are the MWs are actually mediums. Sounds like the sellers are trying to drum up interest ;-) just ask for a clear photo of the stamp.
    Fwiw I'm a passier collector and I've never seen a used one stamped MW
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Chances are the MWs are actually mediums. Sounds like the sellers are trying to drum up interest ;-) just ask for a clear photo of the stamp.
    Fwiw I'm a passier collector and I've never seen a used one stamped MW
    I've never seen one stamped mw either since Passier sizes their saddles in cm--but of course, there are Passier cm widths that equate to MW. Every time I've emailed Passier a saddle serial number, they offer a tree number in cms and an approximation of how wide that is (m, me, w, etc).

Since Passiers can be adjusted, the serial # marking may or may not reflect the saddle's current width. Takeaway for the OP: email Passier the serial to gather some recon, but also use other measurements from the seller to gauge the width.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 21, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

It should be fairly easy to narrow the tree on this. Narrowing tends to be cheaper since you don't have to drop the panels. Depending where you are - it's better if you can call a saddle-fitter who has the machine with them on their vehicle and can shape the tree with the horse right there. If you're in TN, you're in luck - plus I have a bunch of used Passiers PS Baum and Nicole's GG.

Some of the Passier's are adjusted by opening up the saddle and adjusting the tree width along the full interior length. It's more expensive and not everybody will do it. Last I checked, Passier had someone they recommended for this. I expect the recommendation above is quite capable of doing it, as well.

I am personally wary of the adjustment done with one of those saddle devils.I suppose you can adjust the pommel a little bit, but I understand it weakens the tree and can loosen the screws if done too much?

edit: FWIW, I believe I had one stamped W at one point. Bought new. It also had CM measurements.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

One of them is described as having a 31 "inch" tree, which must be cm. that would be wide, so that one is out.

The other one has a 29 cm tree. I know that Passier considers a medium tree to be 27.5 cm. Is there really that much difference that it couldn't be flocked to fit? And the price just dropped.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    One of them is described as having a 31 "inch" tree, which must be cm. that would be wide, so that one is out.

The other one has a 29 cm tree. I know that Passier considers a medium tree to be 27.5 cm. Is there really that much difference that it couldn't be flocked to fit? And the price just dropped.
    My recently sold Passier GG was a 28.5 cm tree and was WIDE! My boy wears a wide-xw in every other saddle he has had on (Prestige, County, Black Country, Custom Saddlery) and the 28.5 cm Passier fit him like a glove.

That being said, its better to have a too wide than too narrow tree. You can have the flocking and/or tree adjusted as well as alter the fit with a correction half pad.

Default Passier-how adjustable?

i didn't realize they were adjustable..[edit]...can they be adjusted from med to wide-really? does anyone have experience actually doing this? a Passier med tends to run narrower. Any way to tell if it HAS been adjusted (or is it obvious?) it is not fitting my huge half friesian, he has very pronounced withers...would love to get a neidersuss, i think that would work well with his huge shoulders.
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Jan. 21, 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: to remove advertising

FWIW. My 2006 Passier Optimum was adjusted from a 27.5 cm (M) to a 29.0 cm (MW-W) by David Young, Passier's authorized saddlefitter. It cost about $350, including return shipment. Unfortunately, while the front of the saddle fits my CSH gelding well (plenty of room for big shoulders), the back of the saddle bounces and I constantly get moved forward toward the pommel. argh!

The tree is made of plywood with bamboo in the seat for the spring. So not as much metal as an "English" made tree. The head has a space for expansion and contraction to adjust up or down. Think of a bridge that lifts up for boats to pass with space between the bridge and the road for the same expansion and contraction. By the way polymer trees are also adjustable. They are heated to widen or narrow. Passiers polymer tree has holes along the cantle which make the tree very giving in the seat and not ridgid.

1 members found this post helpful.