The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What will an investigation accomplish?

On a Yahoo news story:

"Sandy Hook itself will remain a secure crime scene "indefinitely," said Vance. "

and

"There are many, many witnesses that need to be interviewed," Vance said. "We will not stop until we have interviewed every last one of them."

Vance said the investigation could take weeks or months to complete. "It's not something done in 60 minutes like you see on T.V."

and

"...and Vance predicted authorities would spend "months" investigating the elementary school. "

What will this use of resources accomplish? It's not like they have to establish a case-they know who did it, and there will be no trial. We may know "what" but doubt we will ever know "why"; or even if we did, how would it help?

2 members found this post helpful.

It is the "why" they are investigating. Even though the person responsible is dead, the "why" and the "how" needs to be established. Both are key to helpiing with future crimes...either of helping to prevent them, recognize them before they escalate and to deal with them as/after they happen.

They need to establish each and every step, from planning to the end. How each step happened and hopefully why each step happened. It's invaluable information.

My heart also goes out to the investigators and those who were on the scene.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.

I believe it will uncover that the last place the shooter felt happiness and safe was the early primary school years... in his mind he was saving the kids

1 members found this post helpful.

Probably not, the authorities aren't releasing much information and refusing to answer most reporter questions. But one thing that was stated was that the shooter was there days earlier fighting with the school staff.

I think it's a good thing they're keeping very quiet on any details so far. The media has gone nuts reported all sorts of ridiculous and unfounded rumors and have had to recant more than usual.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Perhaps they don't want to send the children and teachers back to the scene of the horror
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I believe it will uncover that the last place the shooter felt happiness and safe was the early primary school years... in his mind he was saving the kids
    I'm curious as to why you believe this. Could you explain it?

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Perhaps they don't want to send the children and teachers back to the scene of the horror
    i'd be very surprised if that bldg was ever used as a school again. maybe storage for furniture or something.

although tearing it down and building a memorial park might be good too.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    i'd be very surprised if that bldg was ever used as a school again. maybe storage for furniture or something.
    Ditto.

I can't imagine anyone having their kid set foot in a classroom there again.

I can see the point of investigating how he got into the building, to try to prevent future entries at other places. Other than that, I don't know what good the investigation would do, though maybe it will help provide closure for those affected in the town. Not just the families, but the police and first responders of all kinds. They have a lot to process in their heads.

Horribly sad, no matter what they find.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Building another school is not in the budget, so they will likely keep using it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I read in the news that they will be using a vacant school nearby in the immediate future. The vacant school had been shut down due to budget concerns, so maybe they will transfer everything over there.

Not that all the news reports have been accurate, but that's what was reported yesterday.

They did not tear down Columbine High School and it is still used as a high school today.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post

although tearing it down and building a memorial park might be good too.
    I believe Columbine happened around April, and when school opened in fall, the library where most of the shooting took place had been totally remodeled so it did not look the same to the kids.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I would guess that they're mostly interested in documenting (there's a lot of paperwork involved, and the amount of evidence is going to be staggering that has to be tagged and stored) because they have to, and secondarily there may end up being civil suits even if no criminal charges are filed. And also they are probably determining, as much as possible, how everything happened for future reference. Changing how security's handled for schools would be easier if you know what you're trying to prevent.

"Why" is kind of outside police purview. They're sort of limited in how much they can accomplish there anyway as the two most likely to provide any useful information there (the shooter and the mother) are dead, though I understand the shooter's father is alive, though there's always the possibility the shooter left a note or some other sort of message.

I think Danceronice nailed it. There will likely be civil suits, and also there may be something learned about school safety or security from this tragedy.

And maybe some discussion of exactly what happened will stop this garbage about the shooter's Asberger's or Autism Spectrum having something to do with this. Neither disorder has anything to do with violence, or attacking others, especially on this scale. I don't know if we will every know exactly what the shooter's conditions were, because apparently there is no proof he was ever diagnosed. That may turn out to be another misinformation story from the press, but who knows.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I would guess that they're mostly interested in documenting (there's a lot of paperwork involved, and the amount of evidence is going to be staggering that has to be tagged and stored) because they have to, and secondarily there may end up being civil suits even if no criminal charges are filed. And also they are probably determining, as much as possible, how everything happened for future reference. Changing how security's handled for schools would be easier if you know what you're trying to prevent.
    That. And even though there won't be a big public trial, they still have to gather evidence so they can prosecute the shooter's estate. They're not just going through the motions to save anyone's feelings about having to go back in the school. That's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by JustTheTicket View Post
    And even though there won't be a big public trial, they still have to gather evidence so they can prosecute the shooter's estate.
    What's the point of doing that?

Because that's the way the legal system works. He doesn't get off scot free just because he killed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by JustTheTicket View Post
    That. And even though there won't be a big public trial, they still have to gather evidence so they can prosecute the shooter's estate.
    what estate? He was 20 years old. Was he employed? I would expect his estate to be insolvent or have minimal assets.
    The family of deceased are not liable for the debts of the deceased that cannot be satisfied from his/her estate (at least not in my jurisdiction).

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it will also help determine how to better the security.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    what estate? He was 20 years old. Was he employed? I would expect his estate to be insolvent or have minimal assets.
    The family of deceased are not liable for the debts of the deceased that cannot be satisfied from his/her estate (at least not in my jurisdiction).
    If they determine that the mother was negligent and her actions lead to her son not only having access to the firearms but learning how to use them appropriately - and I'm 100% certain that there is a group of lawyers preparing to do just that - then the estate of the mother, which is considerable due to her former job and her husband's contributions to her finances when they were together, would be ripe for the picking.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!