The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

Default Can we talk menopause?

I've been waiting for an OT to bring up the subject of menopause. I'm guessing that I'm pre-menopausal - I've gotten my period 3 times in the past 6 weeks. More cramping and heavier than usual. I feel gross, bloated, moody...completely unlike my periods have been until now.

Is this normal? How long is it going to last? Poor Mr. PoPo has been quite the saint to put up with my crazy mood swings. I'm usually pretty even tempered but lately I cry at the drop of a hat!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Nobody?????

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I hear you! I am miserable. Last regular cycle was around March. Since then just a couple of random periods. Worst thing for me is that I am a panic attack sufferer and the crazy hormones seem to have me really struggling to stay functional. I just feel bad all the time...and physical stuff is what triggers my anxiety (vs. work stress). It brings back memories of how my mom became house bound for a couple of years during this time of her life. She just always felt bad and too weak to do anything, and was afraid of having a panic attack in public. I guess I feel fortunate that I have to get up 5 days a week to go to work! But it has definitely affected my horse/riding life this year. Praying it will get better. And for you, too!

From what I've read, there is no usual or average.

I've been tracking mine hoping for menopause since the doctor pulled me off the pill in 2007. It seems like it was more regular and frequent than it was before pill - 22/28 days with some weird 40/50+ cycles thrown it. I think the light may be at the end of the tunnel since the flow has gotten progressively lighter and lighter & is almost nothing the last two cycles. At least I'm hoping because after 40+ years of the damned thing, I'm sick of it.

My hormones seem to be pretty even. So far. My mother had hot flashes. I don't. So far.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

1 members found this post helpful.

Had what I'm guessing was my first heat flash last week.

I slept through it, but woke up drenched and freezing cold from being drenched.

Such fun to have to change the sheets at 3 AM.

And insomnia...which is why I'm posting this at 3 AM.

Guess I should try to force myself to get some sleep so I can get up to feed in a few hours.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Get out there and read the interwebz. There are a plethora of hilarious and informative boards and posts on menopause. The ugh news is that sometimes it just goes on forever. So dress in layers. Enjoy your new found super body, you can brave the coldest weather and say "Cold? It's not cold, what are you talking about, mush onward huskies".
    Generally people talk about reducing sugar, caffiene, alcohol to assist with hot surges. Definitely make a doctors appointment just to discuss it, and let the doctor know it's to discuss this (so he/she can prepare). For example some women get a fast heart beat along with the flushes, you need to know if that's normal and when it's not for you. He can also help with erm, other areas of life that get effected, and what can help.
    I remember when I wanted an ambien prescription and the dr said he didn't approve of giving out meds you don't need, blah, blah blah. I asked if he was married. He sat back. I said how old are you? How old is your wife? He looked a bit amused and answered. Then I gave him an evil grin and said "just wait".
    Menopause..it's not just for women

2 members found this post helpful.

There is no norm or average. I have been firmly in Menopause for 3 years.
    HAve not gotten A period for over 2. The hot flashes are minimal, ITs the battle of the Tummy I am fighting and the reduced metabolism.
    Never took hormones, but did take natural supplements.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    I've been waiting for an OT to bring up the subject of menopause. I'm guessing that I'm pre-menopausal - I've gotten my period 3 times in the past 6 weeks. More cramping and heavier than usual. I feel gross, bloated, moody...completely unlike my periods have been until now.

Is this normal? How long is it going to last? Poor Mr. PoPo has been quite the saint to put up with my crazy mood swings. I'm usually pretty even tempered but lately I cry at the drop of a hat!
    You should see a GYN, particularly if you are passing clots. It is quite easy to become anemic...My GYN wanted to give me 2 units of blood at one point Bloating is also worrying.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

One truth to menopause. . .everyone is different. I have been on hrt for years so I could have some idea of sleep and reduced hot flashes, which only really bothered me at night. BF has had also no problems.

Go to the DR and discuss your symptoms and ideas of how best to deal with this. It ain't for sissies. FYI, you sound like peri-menopause which can go on for several years, again everyone is different.

Good luck!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post

Ummm, no this is not normal and does not sound like menopause to me, at all. Time to call your doctor. That is nearly identical to what led to my hysterectomy - my doctor told me, after the surgery, that I had not been having periods - it was just plain old bleeding as my uterus was one big fibroid. Doh!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I've been wondering about this. My body has not been right, and 11 years post last child and tubal I have almost all the symptoms, but I'm only 36.

They put me on the pill, which regulates me a little bit but I am a fiery raging hell-beast as the hormone levels go down (sorry folks, they are down right now and I'm ready to tear out some throats).

At some point they may actually decide that this isn't entirely normal and do something about it, but after jumping up and down, changing doctors etc I'm just tired. Give me the hormones and I'll move on.

My symptoms were/are strange and inconsistent periods, raging PMDD, hair loss, skin dryness, libido issues, night sweats and day hot flashes. Yay!

^ thyroid checked?
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Yep. All good there. I forgt to mention the periodic insomnia, but that may me just getting older :-P

The pill helps for the first two weeks, but it's a triphasic, so the last two weeks aren't so good. I tried some others but they all have me hives. I have to assume its actually hormonal if the pill helps though, wouldn't you think?

I am not sure. It seems odd, at 36. The hair loss and dry skin screams thyroid to me.
    ---

It seems odd to me too, but I've always been hormonally challenged. I had a massive dermoid cyst on an ovary, and I was given the wrong shot by mistake which threw me into early menopause at 24 (it did wear off) and it feels the same :-)

At any rate, they tested me for just about everything they could think of and it all came back ok.

I'm 51 and have no symptoms and regular, normal periods every single month. I'm kind of ready for it to be over now but I see no signs.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Ummm, no this is not normal and does not sound like menopause to me, at all. Time to call your doctor. That is nearly identical to what led to my hysterectomy - my doctor told me, after the surgery, that I had not been having periods - it was just plain old bleeding as my uterus was one big fibroid. Doh!
    That was pretty much my experience. I had fibroids but most of the bleeding and pain came from adenomyosis which is like endo but rather than being located somewhere outside the repro track the tissue was embedded in the uterine wall
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by anna's girl View Post
    I'm 51 and have no symptoms and regular, normal periods every single month. I'm kind of ready for it to be over now but I see no signs.

Me too! I called my mom to get an idea of when I should be done with all this and she said 60. Boo!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Stayed on low dose pill until I was about 52 cause doc said it would help keep hormones balanced. After I went off I never had a period again - yea! However, mild hot flashes arrived and the dreaded dryness, um, there. The hot flashes are rather appreciated in the winter, but no fun in summer. Still visiting that tropical island sporatically in my early 60's.

I just had a checkup a few months ago and everything was fine - I'm not actually worried about some other possible issue. I asked my mom and she said she was about my age when she had pre-menopausal symptoms. If this pattern continues I'll check with my doctor. I am having some insomnia some nights, and I AM really hot right now but I chock it up to sitting next to the wood stove!