The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Math Praxis Anyone?

I've signed up to take the Math Content Knowledge Praxis exam next month. I've taught middle school math for 13 years, and I'm looking to transition to high school for a variety of reasons. I'm very strong in math, and I'm a great test taker, but I haven't had Trig or Calculus since high school. Any words of wisdom? I have a "Math Praxis for Dummies" book (or something of that sort), and I have several Teachers Editions of Calc books, but with one month to go, I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks!!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

What I took the Praxis Content for Math it included a lot of pre-calc and some calc. I don't know how it is in NC but here in VA you have to have a math degree to teach math in the secondary level. That is a BA in Math, not math education.

I'll say this as a former HS math teacher and now a college math professor, please build up your math background more than you indicate than you have here before moving into the high school level. Go back to school and take the calculus, linear algebra, etc that you need for a math degree. Without those higher level courses you cannot provide a thorough teaching of algebra, geometry, etc.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Thanks for the advice Fit. Right now, I'm teach Algebra, and I'm very comfortable with both Algebra and Geometry. The job I tentatively have lined up for next year is Freshman math/Algebra and maybe Geometry, so I won't be teaching out of my comfort zone. If ever asked to teach a higher level class, I will absolutely go back and take more classes.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I don't know you and I'm not trying to slam you but the worst prepared algebra/geometry students are the ones that come out of the middle schools.

Why?

Because they are being taught by teachers without math degrees and don't really understand the math that they are teaching. So the classes fall to teaching rote techniques and things that don't hold up in upper level classes.

I taught in a very good school system's summer program for students who wanted to accelerate their HS careers. I was paired with a teacher who taught MS algebra and geometry. She was very good but didn't understand the math. Everything was rote and mnemonics.

If you want to be a good math teacher go take the math classes. You'll find it eye opening on how much better you can teach the math.

I'm not trying to attack you but when people ask why is math education slipping in this country this is one of the reasons. Under prepared teachers. Please do right by your students and take the classes.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

2 members found this post helpful.