The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Delicacies" -- escargot, truffles, caviar, foie gras, etc.

I'm not talking about "bizarre foods" or Fear Factor-type stuff here, but what are widely considered, by first-world countries, to be "delicacies."

What have you tried? Was it what you expected? Did you like it? Hate it?

This thread prompted by a recent visit to my friendly neighborhood Wegman's. I was wandering through the produce section when I noticed a small locking (but not locked) Lucite case with 10 or 12 black truffles resting, fairly evenly spaced, on a bed of what appeared to be uncooked rice. I knew truffles were expensive.

I knew nothing.

Price per pound? $999.99. That's right. NINE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE DOLLARS AND NINETY-NINE CENTS. Per pound.

Come on. Nothing tastes that good!

Now back to the question at hand . . .
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Tried caviar, didn't really see what the big deal was, super salty. Never had any of the other things mentioned. But I tell you, I'd love to grow and sell truffles--if there was a market here in the US. Back in the day (maybe they still do it) they used pigs to sniff 'em out. Pretty cool.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I've tried caviar. Honestly, I have the palate of a five year old boy. Good food is a waste on me. I'm happier with macaroni and cheese and fruit roll ups.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    Honestly, I have the palate of a five year old boy. Good food is a waste on me. I'm happier with macaroni and cheese and fruit roll ups.
    I can't tell you how many times I've said/thought the exact same thing about myself.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

We ate snails in the summers.
    It was kid's chore to get a bucket full, then we put them in a big pot with a lid and about 1" of flour on the bottom, where snails would walk around and it cleaned them out and in a day you boiled them, added some sauce and ate them.
    Cooked right, you would not really think what they were, but they sure were not that much food to them, more like an appetizer.

Caviar? That I agree is not much to it, really.
    I thought it was almost tasteless.

Foie grass is very tasty and fine and when growing up, it was not really anything that special, just like other kinds of good tasting spreads.

I may have had truffles at some time, but don't remember.
    We did have all kinds of great real mushrooms in August.
    Walk thru the forest for 30 minutes and you would have two big baskets full.
    Just don't get the poisonous ones.

I have had escargot, toro (raw tuna belly not super expensive, but still special), caviar, foie gras in France (and brought back cans of it), I really like it), rabbit pate, and I have used and bought truffle oil and have had truffles shaved into dishes.

Escargot basically taste like the sauce they are in, usually garlic butter cream sauce, and you can never go wrong with garlic butter cream sauce.
    Toro is wonderful!
    Caviar ...I like it, I like the pop
    Foie gras LOVE IT! as with pate
    The truffles I can take it or leave it.

I tried escargot once in college..it was, apparently, spoiled and I was sick, never again! Tried caviar, too salty. NO WAY to foie gras...force overfeeding a bird to get a big fatty liver is totally inhumane, won't even try it. I've never tried truffles.

We do have morels growing in our backyard every spring. $50 a pound at the store and I do enjoy those...I fight with the birds and insects (and random roving digging animals) every year to try to pick them before the critters get at them .

Escargot, cooked right, is yummy. Caviars good, but honestly my favorite roe is Tobiko... Flying fish roe. Yummmmy! Truffle oil good, never had shaved truffles. Foie Gras? Not had the real thing; but most of the pâté I've had has been quite delicious.

Kobe beef? Meh. It was tasty but not really worthy of the hype....Even at Ruth's.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

And I love love love Morels!!!
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

Not a fan of caviar, had them all, the texture ooggs me out. LOVE the flavour, but not texture of sweetbreads, so I pate them (ticks my dad right off!). I love all pate & foie gras. Had snails, they were chewy, probably better fresh, in France. Frogs legs, nothing to write home about.

I'll try anything, except balut, once.

CFF

Mmmm mmmm mmmm foie gras is AMAZING!!! We try to have some every New Years Eve.

Now escargots... No... Not after that last time when it probably just wasn't cleaned properly but I just imagined I could feel antennae!! Weird textures like that just don't do it for me.

When I lived in France, I said then one thing I would never ever eat was blood pudding. Annnnd... Our neighbors invited me over for a dinner in honor of my birthday. Blood pudding with roasted chestnuts. I tried to smile and not think about what I was eating... Yuck! It wasn't bad, just yuck!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

What's balut?

I've had caviar, both the cheapie kind from grocery stores and relatively expensive kind. I think the high-end stuff is wasted on me because I like both kinds, and didn't find the "good" stuff to be that much better to justify the price difference.

I love foie gras, which makes me feel guilty. I think it's produced cruelly *sigh*
    Not as guilty as enjoying shark fin soup in Hong Kong. I didn't order it, I didn't know what it was at first, but I really liked the texture.

Love escargot. I've had "truffled" food, but i think it was truffle oil; I don't believe I've ever had shaved truffles.

I think kopi luwak (civet coffee) is a bona fide delicacy. And it is delicious

Oysters too maybe? I didn't like them until fairly recently (I could eat them fine, but I didn't actively enjoy them), but then I started trying different types. To my surprise I could tell the difference. The first ones I really really enjoyed were Kumamotos.

I like escargot, but as someone else said, you really can't go wrong with a butter garlic cream sauce. When I had the escargot, it was in a mushroom cap and just slathered with garlic butter and cream - what's not to love about that?

I'm not sure I've had any of the other foods listed here - maybe pate once when I was little - unless salmon roe counts as college students' caviar (lol)...

I just wikipedia'd balut... I wish I hadn't... Fertilized eggs cooked 3/4 the way til they are ready to hatch.

My own worst nightmare since I have chickens and roosters. I only eat my own farm eggs if I am absolutely sure they were lain that morning...

I love good caviar, foi gras, goi cuon (maybe not a delicacy, but hard to find it well made), smoked salmon, and I use truffle oil for several recipes, but have never had the pleasure of shaved truffle.

Escargot, meh. I've had it several times and it's not something I'd go out of my way for.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by rememberthenight View Post
    I just wikipedia'd balut... I wish I hadn't... Fertilized eggs cooked 3/4 the way til they are ready to hatch.

My own worst nightmare since I have chickens and roosters. I only eat my own farm eggs if I am absolutely sure they were lain that morning...
    Oh no way... I would have nightmares about this. Just gross!!!! I once saw a spec of coloring in an egg (on a farm, probably very normal)... I was off eggs for years imagining it was a little baby!

Ok, I will stop there, I'm thinking of other gross food related incidents and that would be a bad turn for this thread.

OH! Morels!!! I forgot to add that to the list. When I was in Sweden 2 summers ago my friend and I went to go look at the Spring foal crop at the Swedish Warmblood farm she worked and we came home to baskets full of morels. Lightly sauted yummy!!

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Mmmm mmmm mmmm foie gras is AMAZING!!! We try to have some every New Years Eve.
    Ugh.. I hated foie gras... and I'm pretty sure it was probably "good" foie gras as it was was New Year's Eve multi-course dinner at the Mandarin Oriental in Munich, Germany lol. I of course ate all of it to be polite to my hosts who'd purchased it. I'm not into delicacies or odd foods... I won't try blood pudding or Haggis and I'm very Scottish lol.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

Sorry, I would have told you, you didn't want to know about balut.

I am such an oyster-aholic, I don't even consider them a delicacy anymore!

Truffles are nice but not worth the money, to me. LOVE wild mushrooms, I'm a hunter, so they're free.

Love sashimi, but not Super White Tuna, not tuna btw, very soft, textureless and ogie.

I'm a Brit who dislikes both black and white pudding. Just blood or suet, respectively, mixed with oats, ick.

Arbroath kippers tho, orgasmic!!!! Lovely to have an uncle there!

CFF