The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When I had a bad abscess last year I had to go through two complete rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it completely. The pain was unbelievable; I lay in bed and cried. I'll reiterate the pros of probiotics. The worst yeast infection I've ever had came after antibiotics from my dentist. Last year I took probiotics the whole time and all was well.

ooooohhhhh tooth pain! yuk! been there done that-- doing it right now, actually. Dentist gave me some liquid lidocaine, I put it on my gums with a q-tip, and it helps for a couple of hours. ask for it.

I went through something similar earlier this year. My dentist referred me to an endodontist, and I was really surprised when he DIDN'T prescribe Vicoden, or any other prescription pain med - instead, his standard painkiller recommendation is 4 (yes, FOUR) Advil and 1 Tylenol, taken together. It worked like a charm! I was very relieved since Vicodin always makes me feel totally yucky and doesn't ever stop the pain.

Good luck with this! Tooth pain is one of THE worst.

ETA: When I left the dentist's office, hurting like crazy (no, he couldn't do anything for me other than referral to an endodontist), he gave me a prescription for Vicodin. I stopped on my way home and filled it and took a whole tablet. BIG mistake. I was sick as a dog that night.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Hope You Are Better....

Hi Beenthere, I hope you are better today. Unfortunately, you can expect pain through the weekend, until the antibiotic kicks in, and the inflammation goes down...sorry. Your jaw hinge and ear will be hurting as well, the infection gets the deep nerve in your jaw sensitive, that whole side will be sore...

If you are not a lot better by Monday AM, PLEASE ask the dentist to refer you to an endodontist, or oral surgeon. I don't like your description late last night of the browning of the tooth under the crown, you may have to have that out. If it needs to come out, you will be VERY sore, but at least the abcessing can drain easier.

You also described the use of Novacaine and Lidocaine. With all my troubles-with the tooth coming out, then the two implant failures, they had to use Novacaine, Lidocaine, and Marcaine (sp?), which is very strong-I still felt the implant go in and come back out-both times.... If I decide to try one more time to have an implant, they are going to have to fully sedate me. If the infection is deep and severe, those meds will NOT properly dull the pain....AND on some people, they just don't work well.

I have had about 6 root canals from my early 20's on, Novacaine worked for those, but not this deep of an infection. I have always been OK with dental procedures, but this one took the cake!

OP, take care of yourself...This can be a life threatening infection, it is hard to eradicate. Be sure to take all of your antibiotics!! Please DO NOT hesitate to ask the dentist for a referral, if the tooth needs to come out, oral surgeons usually handle molar removals anyway. Good luck to you, wishing you the best, and I am thinking of you this weekend.

Please PM me if you have more questions...

1 members found this post helpful.

Didn't have a great night, but it was nowhere near as bad as Thursday. I was waking up to take the antibiotics and pain meds on the dot!

I got ahold of the dentist this morning and he said it's normal. 24-48 hours is going to be tough, then I should be good. He also said vicoden and ibuprofen don't react, so I can take them both, up to 800 mg ibuprofen. Yeah! He also gave me his personal cel number if I really need to call--that is very cool.

I have the benzocaine stuff that numbs the gums, but it doesn't work. This pain is deep down in the jaw and ear like you said. Sitting on that nerve going up the side of my head.

The probiotics is definitely something I will keep on with. The last thing I need is another infection.

Thanks so much for the support. Having people listen to you whine about the pain and knowing other people have been through it makes it somewhat bearable. I've never had pain that scared me so much before, like something was really wrong.

Wait, this doesn't sound right to me at all. First of all, if you had an active infection, the common practice when I was at a dentist office was that you had to be on abx, resolve the infection and THEN do an RC.

An RC really shouldn't hurt if you're numbed up appropriately...but if you're like me and have additional roots, sometimes they can't numb you up in order to find them. (THAT SUCKS!)

But seriously, you shouldn't be in this much pain from an RC....I'm worried!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Actually, its not that uncommon, or so I am told. Long story short, after a year of simiiar story/pain, the tooth in question was finally pulled out. It has been 3 MONTHS and the inflammation/nerve pain is finally gone. Unfortunately the face/TMJ pain/neck pain is still here and xays on tuesday revealed severe damage to my TMJ. Not sure what happens next.

BTDT, my advice is, if you do not get prompt resolution, get to an endodontist and insist that they find the root (no pun intended) of the problem. I could have avoided probably 8 months of my ordeal if the tooth had just been removed in the first place. Hope you are well soon!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Beenthere, I hope the worst is over and the antibiotics are really kicking in for you. I did have tooth pain before my root canal, and that shot of novacaine when he was starting the root canal was like a miracle. I am not a big fan of the dentist, having had a real psycho for a dentist when I was a kid, but I was so happy to get that shot of novacaine for the root canal, I could have hugged the Endodontist. It didn't hurt at all afterward, thank goodness.
    I hope tonight and tomorrow will bring more healing and less pain.

Default Glad to Hear You Are Better!!!

BuddyRoo, I think the dentist needed to drill through the crown, then remove the roots, to get to the infection, and clean it out in there to try and get rid of the internal abcess...He is trying to save OP's tooth.

I have had "standard" root canals, they pinch and hurt when the root is removed, and the pain greatly is lessened. Several shots of Novacain are USUALLY all you need.

The OP, however, has a deep seated infection from the tooth down into the jaw. That inflammation and pressure is very painful, as it irritates the big nerve we have that runs along the jaw way down in there.

Let's put it this way, mine was so infected that I really don't even remember last Christmas...I was down for over a week (in fact, if I had waited a few more days to be seen, I wouldn't be here to type). If OP is feeling better today, that is WONDERFUL news!!

OP, I hope this good news continues. After you are done with the antibiotics, I highly suggest a panoramic x-ray, if your dentist can do one (or an endodontist can)-to see if the infection is still lurking in there. It will show up as a white cloudy area. As I said before, after my infection, I healed, they did an implant, and that d*mn infection came back, TWICE, I lost not one, but TWO implants in the same spot...But, just so you know, that is very very rare...

I had a root canal done under IV sedation in August. I've had lots of dental work, and the usual (lido, nova, mar) caines just don't do it for me anymore. The tooth (and the whole side of my face) was crazy-painful leading up to the emergency apppointment. The day after, I had a brief period of total relief until I bit down on something a little too hard. Then it was right back to the pain level I had prior. I called the dentist and asked if this was normal and he explained there was a lot of inflammation (particularly nerve inflammation) that would have to settle down. No antibiotics past the first five days, just time. It took three full months, with gradual improvement, to be pain-free again. Ugh.

I usually love Google, but have to say I was horrified when I read how many people go through the same thing.

Aleve - 2 at a time - worked better for me than Advil (my usual go-to), and I kept them onboard for about a month before daring to stop and see if the pain would return. Probably took some time off the life of my kidneys, but nothing else touched that awful, radiating ache.

Hope you're feeling better much quicker.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Oh, this thread is making me seriously horrified. BTDT, I hope you're feeling better. I join the contingent that says take this sucker seriously. My brother nearly died last year of a pneumonia that would not go away. After almost a year of recurring bouts of pneumonia, he ended up in the hospital for a month on IV antibiotics and barely breathing. It was assumed he had lung cancer, as he's been a smoker all his life, but nope. Somehow - I think the specific bacteria was unusual? don't quote me, I was too busy wincing during the story - they figured out that a nicely bubbling infection in his teeth had set up the whole thing. Treating the lungs and chest only worked for a while because the infection factory in his tooth was overlooked. So make damned sure that tooth is taken care of.

I've had 8 or 9 root canals and one do-over. It got infected, and they went in sideways at the gum and did who knows what to it. It still hurts every now and then.

Endodontists are better at it than dentists. I've had both. The dentists are never quite as good. For something complicated, go to the endodontist.

Root canal story. One of them, they couldn't get the root numb. He poked it right with the needle and said, you can't possibly be feeling this! Well, I was!! He was taking those little drill sticks and poking me right in the nerve. OUCH! lol We finally had to reschedule, so he packed it up and sent me home. Next time I got some nitrous and he numbed the crap out of that whole side of my mouth. I was traumatized, still am. Going to the dentist makes me shake and cry. lol no kidding!

Thanks guys. It is better. Trying to go without pain control is not working, but with the vicoden and 800 mg of ibupropen, it seems to knock it back to being OK to deal with. I take meds when I start squinting with the pain.

As spurgirl explained, maybe I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, but when I was in yesterday, the dentist was like, wow, that's a BIG abcess. He drilled into the top of my crown and then went in with a little wire brush cleaner thingie and scrubbed in there, which I thought was a root canal--maybe it's just the part of getting out the infection. There was a lot of scrubbing and cleaning and sitting there with antibiotics and stuff. Normally watching a little wire in my tooth would horrify me, but I was SO glad to be numbed up I didn't care! He then put in an antibiotic blob inside and closed up the top of the tooth.

The number one goal is to get rid of the infection. When that's gone in two weeks he'll go in and take off that crown and see if we can save the tooth or not.

I definitely still don't feel right, but it's WAY better. I hope I can sleep through the night without spending a lot of time imaging pain to go away. But, at least I can get it to go away. Before I went to him, it just scared me that nothing touched this. And, boy, I AM taking this seriously.

I go to my regular doctor about once a year usually wondering if I have some kind of horrid chronic illness because I get so tired sometimes and just can't get rid of it. He's really good about checking into things, but I wonder if this is connected. I found out I had allergies two years ago and was getting sinus infections with the only real symptoms being headaches. Last year I got that nasty viral bronchial infection that last three months. I wonder if I've had some kind of little infection bouncing around and this is all related?

I'm on the antibiotics for a week, and then I think a good overall xray to make sure nothing else is there is a great idea! This is a new dentist for me in the past year and a half and I've seen all three of them, and they're great. They have the newer xrays that go right on the computer and you can see everything. On this one you could see the area in the bone right below this tooth, but it seemed to me that it was darker in the whole back area of the jaw, too. And I think I'll check with my regular doctor, too.

Beentheredonethat,

Sorry for your "tooth troubles", I know your pain having lived through the same scenario as you with a major abscess under a crown. I strongly second the advice of others about probiotics. I was on Clindamycin as well for about 10 days and about 2 weeks or so after I was done with it I came down with a very bad case of c-diff which put me in the hospital for 4 days and I was then home recovering for another 2 weeks. Flagyl, which you usually get first if you get c-diff as it is much cheaper than Vancomycin, the other drug to treat it, can be horrible to take, as another person pointed out. Also, once you get c-diff, you are more prone to get it again. I am not able to ever take clindamycin again (not that I would want to LOL), if I need antibiotics again, for dental or otherwise. I take probiotics routinely now (Floristor is what my gastroenterologist recommends), and if I have to go on an antibiotic for any reason, depending on what it is for, I sometimes have to be on Flagyl simultaneously.

Beenthere, Your symptoms of general not feeling well/malaise was EXACTLY what I went through, too, last year. From October on I had a few fevers, and was soooo tired all the time...I was so NOT into Christmas-well, no wonder why, with that infection festering in there. Where I had the trouble, the next "space" back had no tooth-I had a bridge there, so my infection had spread into the jaw there-so no tooth or roots, no feeling. That's how the deep seated infection can get serious-you don't feel it as much until it is bad...

But anyway, I am SO happy for you, it sounds like you are turning the corner tonight! Stay on top of that pain, and don't forget the probiotics!!

Take care!!

Beentheredonethat,

Here is what I am hearing(reading) from your responses. Bad tooth, did not really bother you until this last week, increasing pain until Thursday and became unbearable. Saw DDS, who anethesized you? opened said tooth and instrumented with little wire(file) and then irrigated with NaClO3 10% and then put temporary in. Put you on Vicoden and Clindamycin. Last couple of days have been hell but you seem to be getting better Okay couple of things that might make your life a little better.
    1. Try heat instead of cold. Heat gets the blood and your immune cells and the AB in there. Use heat pad on outside and then use hot salt water against the tooth. Run water through your coffee maker 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of water and take swig hold against tooth, let cool. Spit out and do several times a day.
    2. Vicoden is a derivative of morphine. Clindamycin will clean your bacteria out of your gut and Vicoden will shut it down. If you don't want to take the Vicoden, interesting Extra Strength Tylenol and 800mg Advil will give you the same amount relief without all the side effects. Pain control level comparable to Oxycontin. BUT make sure you take ALL antibiotics-don't stop the moment you feel better.
    3. The main reason we don't take out or work on teeth with abscesses is the acidity of the tissue around the nerve that is to be blocked. ALL local anesthestics will not work in acidic tissue-they will break done to water and a salt. Novacaine which was Procaine ester has not be used in years. All anesthetics are amides now. Each is chosen for duration and how fast they work. Ask for Marcaine(bupivacaine) as it will last from 6-12 hours. While numb, you need to take something for pain even if you have none whatsoever. This will allow you to be proactive on the pain, not reactive.
    3. Should this tooth saved-that is a hard question. Ask your DDS if he could see you having this tooth in 10 years-keep the tooth. If it is 1 year-ditch it and go with implant or bridge. The middle years 2-5 year range is a tough one-it could go either way. You might just have the RCT done to buy time for implant.
    4. Getting care can be difficult when you have issues with dentistry. PM and let me know where you are in the country. I can usually find a colleague who can do an IV sedation and make the appointment go better.
    5. Take any of this advice if you want. I deal with cases like yours every day and I am only a general dentist who does implants, root canals and IV sedation.

2 members found this post helpful.

One more thing. After reading one of your posts, if the tooth in question is an upper molar then yes, there may be a connection to a sinuses. If a lower molar then probably not so much. With the headaches, you may want to check your sleeping ability and your posture/upper back/shoulders etc.

Don't worry so much about the lymph nodes in your neck- your body and immune system are doing their jobs; I would be more worried if you had no swollen glands.

^sorry to hijack but can you elaborate on point three here? I had a crown taken off and reworked last week, adjoining teeth were damaged and therefore repaired in a separate visit.. The gum seems beyond irritated to me and possibly infected but of note is that in the rework/temp fitting last week she could not get me numb. Is that a clue that things are heading south? Aieee. Thanks for any help!
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Eq trainer
    Depends on where the tooth is. Lower blocks are the most difficult to do and the ones most likely missed. If there is inflamation, then there can be acidic tissue. Max teeth are in general easier. But even those can be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    Eq trainer
    Depends on where the tooth is. Lower blocks are the most difficult to do and the ones most likely missed. If there is inflamation, then there can be acidic tissue. Max teeth are in general easier. But even those can be missed.
    Lower, yes. Been a three part study I am suspicious there is an infection in one or more of the teeth, roots or gums... I just have that bad juju feeling about it all and to be more specific, the ocassional throbbing. The gums for sure are angry as heck. I am in hell.
    ---