The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Root Canal, OMG the pain

I didn't think I could feel this much pain. My tooth was sore on Weds. and I had a headache all night. Thursday it got worse all day, and I got home and took and nap and couldn't sleep it hurt so bad I just started crying and desperately calling around. Luckily my dentist's receptionist was there and called the dentist and got me a vicoden prescription to get through the night. It didn't help at all! I couldn't sleep all night and could barely stop myself from going to the ER. It was like an ice pick in my ear and temple. I took my vicoden every six hours and was held a frozen block of meat to my head to try to deal.

I was waiting at my dentist's office before they got there this morning, just rocking and tearing up. The x ray showed a big abbcess beneath the tooth. I hate getting shots in the gum, but I could not wait until he numbed it up. Finally, relief from the ice pick. He did the root canal and said I should be OK while we let the antibiotics work and then fix the tooth in a couple of weeks.

I din't know if this was normal. I was dry heaving in the waste basket at the pharmacy while getting the antibiotics, and then the numbing from the shots wore off. It's not a lot better! The ice pick is still there, maybe a bit better. The vicoden doesn't seem to be helping at all. I've had it once before when my back spasmed, and that was good stuff.

My six hour time limit is about up, so I'm going to take more vicoden. Has anyone had this? Shouldn't the pain clear up faster? My dentist said he's there until noon tomorrow, so I'm going to call and check if not significantly better. I can't handle another night like that.

I can't offer advice, but you have my sympathies!! I am terrified of dental pain, so I am very sorry you are having to go through this. Let's hope the antibiotics kick in and you start feeling better soon.

Gosh, sounds absolutely horrible. Sending you hugs, jingles, prayers...whatever might help. I'm sure it takes a while for the abscess to drain and relieve the pressure. But definitely tell the dentist and get some relief.

(((((hugs)))))

Gosh, sounds absolutely horrible. Sending you hugs, jingles, prayers...whatever might help. I'm sure it takes a while for the abscess to drain and relieve the pressure. But definitely tell the dentist and get some relief.

(((((hugs)))))

You can take vicodin every four hours or closer, if you need it. Does it take the edge off at all? If you're not getting pain control, call your dentist tonight or go to the ER. There is just no reason for you to be in so much pain

Simkie--my BFF!!! I wish I had done that last night, but it wouldn't have helped. Even the dentist said there's nothing to dull the pain of an abcess that big. I just took some more vicoden, and it's a little better. It's working somewhat better than last night. I'm actually getting drowsy from it, and the icepick is a small one. It hurt so much last night it didn't make me drowsy at all.

I'm hoping it just takes awhile for everything to kick in with the antibiotics and I'll feel a lot better tomorrow. He said the abcess was still in the bone, so it doesn't really drain. I don't know whether the dry heaving and shakes is because I'm just so exhausted from lack of sleep and pain, or whether I actually have the flu, too. That would suck. It feels like the glands in my throat are swollen, but that may just be from the infection and all the injections in the jaw above--they have to double up on novocaine with me.

Thank you for the support!! I've got the dizzy vicoden, don't really care so much buzz going now.

Not too much help for tonight, but see if you can find an endodontist instead of a regular dentist. Endodontists specialize in root canals and tooth pulp tissue, rather than just teeth. Usually they do root canals much faster, better, and easier than dentists.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I don't know whether the dry heaving and shakes is because I'm just so exhausted from lack of sleep and pain, or whether I actually have the flu, too. That would suck.
    The Vic on an empty stomach will do that to you right quick. Combined with exhaustion and pumping adrenaline, and I'm not surprised you don't feel well. I know the thought of putting anything into your mouth is just beyond reason right now, but try to chug down a protein shake or something. (No straws!) It'll put something in your stomach, without you having to chew anything.

The novocaine can also make some people really sick, I know I have horrible reactions to it. :yuck:

Whoa, beenthere, that must be the mother of all abcesses, because I've had a root canal and it didn't hurt at all. I really feel for you, and I hope you will be feeling better soon.
    If you are getting the flu, it could be the perfect storm of pain combined with the abcess and the insult of the root canal. I can always tell when I'm getting sick because I feel it in my teeth first, so I can really imagine what that must feel like on top of everything else you're going through.
    Rest up, take your meds, and I agree with the suggestion about speaking to an endodontist. I remember once when I let my dentist do a crown...five hours into it, the hygenist turned to me when the dentist left the room and said, "Sheesh, I could have put that crown on your tooth faster than he's doing it. I used to work for an endodontist and he'd have had that thing on two hours ago." Good to know.

When I looked this up last night and every symptom pointed to root canal, I thought it would be a huge deal, like this would be my holidays. He told me adult teeth don't need those roots, so he drilled through the top of the crown and went in with a little wire and cleaned it all out. It seemed pretty simple. The issue is it seems the tooth under the root may be rotted and we maybe have to do more than just replace the crown. But, what he did today was clean out the decayed tissue, soak in what smelled something like bleach, put an antibiotic in there, and close it up until the infection is cleaned. It seemed a pretty easy process. And I was grinning like an idiot because I was so happy to be out of pain.

Good thing is our required rip off dental insurance covers it and can get it done before the end of the year, having enough left for this year. I thought I was going to pay out of pocket. We pay about $1200 a year in dental insurance, required by the school district, and we can only max out at $2,000 a year. This about maxes me out. Good thing. Now I need to save up for the dental implant not covered on another tooth!

Chai--How did you know you needed a root canal if it didn't hurt? Did they just randomly catch it on an xray? I think this was pretty big from the dentist's reaction, and the fact that vicoden wasn't helping at all. As I was up all last night it maybe took the pain from a 10 to a 9, and I didn't cry ALL of the time. SO took me to the pharmacy last night to pick up the vicoden and I was crying in front of the pharmacist, who looked like I was giving her a heart attack, and was crying all the way home in the car. The pharmacist today, poor guy. He was giving me the antibiotics and I just kept having to turn to the garbage and dry heave in it.

Staying on top of your pain is important for pain control. Waiting until you really hurt before taking the meds just makes it really, really hard to get a handle on it. So try to take the drugs *before* you start hurting, if you can. If the drugs aren't big enough to do that, then call you doc, or go to the ER.

And, yeah--you've got to eat, too.

What antibiotics are you on, and how many doses do you have down?

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I am so sorry. I semi- feel your pain tonight as I just had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday at the ripe old age of 36. I have been dentally fortunate in my life and never had braces or even that many cavities, so I was Completely. Unprepared for the intensity of yesterday's procedure. I think I'd rather have another C-section than do that again.

I'm starting to be able to eat more solid food today. Looking on the bright side... I will rock into the holidays a few lbs lighter! And am enjoying the Vicodin for a few days myself

Feel better- yours sounds way worse.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

I had a horrible abcess/jaw infection Dec. 15th of last year-tooth could not be saved, and over the past year, have had 2 implants FAIL in that exact spot-the infection kept recurring deep in my jaw, which is EXTREMELY rare...so I know all about your pain!

Take the Vicodin every 4-5 hours, if necessary. Keep the ice pack on the side of your face, then tuck it under the jaw area, it will help with the pain somewhat.

Sleep sitting up, it helps. Not as comfy as your bed, I know, but will help with the throbbing if you are upright. Pillows are your friend-keep the packs on and positioned comfortably as long as possible.

If you are on a heavy duty antibiotic-commonly given for jaw infections, start a Probiotic YESTERDAY-you do not want to strip your system out, and develop "c-diff". The medication "Flagyl" for that is horrible.

Call the dentist tomorrow and ask if you can also take a LOW DOSE of Ibuprofen-that helps with the swelling, inflammation, and pressure inside the jaw. I was allowed to do that for a few days, but I don't remember the dosage, so ask your dentist.

I am saying a little prayer for you-I hope you heal well. I don't wish dental pain on anyone. Good luck!!

I actually did eat some oatmeal this morning on the way to work--I had to drop off sub plans and set up my room, and the dentist wasn't open yet, anyway. I finally just managed to get down some clam chowder. Chewing ain't gonna happen much beyond that, though.

I'm allergic to penicillin, so I'm on 300 mg clindamycin every 6 hours. I've had two doses.

I hope this will clear up easily. My SO is a vet, so loves to talk about dramatic horrible results (he is not allowed to watch the Monsters Within Me) so keeps reminding me the infection can get in your blood and heart and cause valve damage. My tooth sounds like it may be like yours. I think it's rotten under the crown--it looks brown.

I have been living with my "icepack." It's actually a roll of frozen meat, but it works pretty well. On my temple and ear all last night, and more on my jaw and underneath now, which is hurting more than it was last night.

Thanks for the probiotic tip. I have some. I also did take about 600 mg of ibuprofen earlier to help cut the pain. I'll check with the dentist tomorrow to make sure I'm not killing myself.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yogurt, yogurt, yogurt!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Ah, yes, Clindamycin-that IS the super antibiotic I had been given, and I'm allergic to Penicillins too!

OK, make SURE to take a probiotic. That antibiotic is very strong, you do NOT want to get C-diff....You should take a probiotic for the next 6 months.

Again good luck, I know your pain!

Wow, I haven't heard of clindamycin since of I was on Cleocin T, topically, for my skin. Curious choice, although IANAD. I'd be sure to be religious about that every 6 hours dosing schedule. Take a really good probiotic with that, okay? I like Multidophilus 12. (Available at my local Whole Foods!)

Stacking an NSAID is a great idea. I prefer naproxen, but ibuprofen certainly works, too.

Once the antibiotics kick in and start knocking the infection down your pain will get better. I had a bad impacted wisdom tooth that got infected and the infection spread down into my jaw and neck. Took about three days before the pain got better and I got to the dentist to have the tooth removed.

I'm allergic to vicodin and used percoset after having a wisdom tooth out. That worked great for the pain. Some pain drugs don't take away the pain they just make you not care you are in pain, those are the ones that don't work great for dental pain. I should stop reading this thread though..I have terrible dental anxiety, and I need to be at the dentist now with the dental issues I'm having. I get through procedures okay but then I totally come unhinged when I get home. Something about having fingers in my mouth just totally freaks me out, panic attacks the whole deal.

Days!!! Noooo. I'm hoping tomorrow morning. I can feel it spreading into my jaw and neck. I had to get my frozen sausage pack out to deal with the pain of it.

Yeah, vicoden isn't working great, not even at the the not caring part. Before when I used it I had messed up my back, I took it, felt the pain and didn't care, and went off to clean stalls!

I'm one of those people who always has dental anxiety and I have crappy teeth. No kidding, we used to have a dentist that drilled on us without novocaine when were were kids. My dentists have been good for a long time and always well numb up, and I do a lot of breathing and tensing and relaxing exercises.

1 members found this post helpful.

i'm so sorry! Tooth abscess pain has to be one of Dante's circles of hell. It's awful. Been there, except I was on my study abroad year in France, with no money to my name and I guess I wasn't prepared for the prospect of needing health care. So I figured I'd just wait it out. It hurt so bad, but I thought if I just took more aspirin I could deal with the pain. And then more aspirin, and more, etc. When I finally crawled downstairs (because my ears were ringing and I was *this* close to passing out from too much aspirin), the mother of my host family literally said Mon Dieu!!! and got me to their dentist.