The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best price / source for Cimetidine?

I would like to put my old gray mare on Cimetidine for melanomas. She will need about 1600 mg three times per day.

I used to get it from Costco for $10 for 100 800mg tabs, but they discontinued it and I cannot find anywhere else that comes close in price. Wedgewood Pharmacy will not disclose their pricing.

I get it from my vet's online pharmacy. They also discontinued the 800 mg tablets so perhaps it's a manufacturer's issue. Right now I am using:

Cimetidine Tabs - 400 mg, 100-ct Bottle $12.99

Which is basically double what you were paying but I figure it's cheaper than surgery or (gulp) worse. Sorry I'm not more help!

You can do that dose for $45/month through Walgreens with 400 mg tabs.

Cimetidine 800 mg is on Target's $4/month list, but I can't see how much they consider a "monthly dose."

It's also on Walmart's $4/month list.

When I was using cimetidine, I found the cheapest price at KV Vet, and they have very good service, too.
    They currently have 100 of the 800 mg tabs listed for $14.95, but are out of stock. 100 of the 400's is $7.95.
    http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produc...0#.UMv60W91GuI
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Default SmartPaks

Mine gets SmartPaks and it seems like it costs $45 a month with some flavoring to see if he'll quit leaving it in the feed box. I have to rely on the boarding place to use them, and if it was any harder than SmartPaks he would never get any.

Thanks for all the great leads.

I'd love to have the ease of the Smartpaks especially with the flavoring but its hard to justify that much markup. Especially if my horse stays on them long term.

KV vet is a good price and that lead me to check Dr. Fosters and Smith. They offer the 800 mg pills for just $12 for a bottle of 100.

I checked Target and the pharmacist told me they sell the 800 mg pills for $10 per 90. I will feed six per day to my 1400 pound mare, so that comes to just $20 per month.

I hope this info helps other gray horse owners. I lost my mare's gray brother to colic this Thanksgiving. The vet thought it was a lipoma strangling his small intestine, but I suspect melanoma as he had several exterior melanomas, and he was gray and 20.

I hope it works for you. I tried it for my mare twice (about a year each time) with no notable effect. I hear of people who have success though and I hope your mare is one of them!
    *CrowneDragon*

Thank you CrowneDragon.

I have tried it before too with no effect, but I did not do the three times per day dosing. Now that I know how life threatening melanomas can be I want to try again and am willing to hassle with the 3x dosing.

If it really worries you, you might investigate the tyrosinase vaccine that is in trials.
    http://www.thehorse.com/articles/288...orks-aaep-2011
    *CrowneDragon*

When I fed it, I found the best price to be Farm Vet.

Default Melanoma

Where are you located? There is a vaccine trial going on in Tennessee. Oncologist is Jeffrey Phillips email is jphill35@me.com
    And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. Revelation 19:11

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAcres View Post
    Mine gets SmartPaks and it seems like it costs $45 a month with some flavoring to see if he'll quit leaving it in the feed box. I have to rely on the boarding place to use them, and if it was any harder than SmartPaks he would never get any.
    I shoved my horse's cimetidine inside a generic fig newton. She never even noticed. Easy to do, easy to store, if you're boarding.

StG

1 members found this post helpful.