The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Charities

This year for Christmas my family has decided to give to charities instead of exchanging gifts. I love the idea! It all started when my parents decided to not exchange gifts but to give to a charity that collects presents for Georgia foster children. Unfortunately I have missed the cut off date for the toy drive for Georgia foster children which is called Clark's Christmas Kids.

So I have been looking around at other charities but wanted to see other folks favorites. I'm thinking of making a donation to Wounded Warriors or another charity for the military.

But perhaps with what has happened today, I should donate to a fund for the families / children affected by the violence in Newtown.

My husband and I decided to do this last year, and will again this year, since we both buy ourselves whatever we need or want, and don't need anything else.
    Wounded warriors is great, and we have met many of the warriors over the years at functions which sponsored them during a day outing. WW does get a lot of publicity now, though, and is not in dire need. I believe there are a few horse therapy groups that work with veterans that might interest you.
    Anyway, we have a large hispanic community in our area due to the wholesale landscaping businesses and truck farming. We contacted our local Catholic Charities group who has a ministry that helps hispanic families, and the pro in charge suggested WalMart gift cards that she could hand out to families in need.
    Walmart is comfortable for the disadvantaged and they are able to purchase food, toys or baby needs. It was anonymous, but worked out well for us. Heading to Walmart today. Bless you for thinking of others.
    Last edited by SLR; Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: punctuation

I love this idea! I usually donate to someplace local, our local womens shelter and the local pound are two of my favorites. I have also done the make a wish foundation when I won NASCAR tickets. I got to be there when they gave the little guy that was getting them the tickets and that was honestly the best gift anyone could have given me.

I donate to the Wounded Warrior Project, and to America's Vet Dog (website is:
    www.vetdogs.org ) and they train and donate service dogs to help severly wounded military soldiers and retirees. One dog is the friend and assistant for one of our captains, and who is still on active duty despite losing both legs in combat.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

as of a few years ago I stopped giving to the charities as it was endless, few if any were providing a solution but were mostly sticking a finger into the hole in the dike.

I discovered the Kiva Loans (from a post on the other board that allowed discussions that were not always centered on an equine) where for a little as $25.00 some one's life could be changed and altered forever

http://www.kiva.org/about

1 members found this post helpful.

My favorite is St. Jude's Children's Hospital. How can one go wrong helping kids? OP, what a good idea.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Wounded Warriors...Salvation Army (always turn up at disasters ready to help, SA church members in Australia were some of our most generous host families, plus I've been a bell-ringer so I always put something in the pot as I know what your hand feels like after four hours)....Disabled American Veterans is another legit one. This year for Thanksgiving I donated a meal for a local food pantry's Thanksgiving dinner drive (in addition to being a food bank they provide holiday dinners for people who can't afford them/don't have anywhere to go; one of the barflies at work had given me an especially nice tip for the holidays so I figured I should pass some along). Especially around Christmas a lot of local organizations are doing things like food drives.

And of course Toys for Tots. I know toys are not necessarily what most low-income kids NEED, but every toddler should at some point have a stuffed animal at least the size of their own torso. (Besides I don't have any little close family members to buy for and toy shopping is fun even if you don't get to see the kids open them.)

SPCA
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

There are so many worthy charities, it's hard to pick just one. I try to give dribble all through the year, but money has been so tight this year, it's been difficult.

Wounded Warriers is definitely a favorite, as is Toys for Tots.

Heifer International.

The local food bank.

And there's a local organization that gives vouchers for emergency medication for the uninsured. I definitely want to give them a donation when I have the spare money.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I always donate to several local charities, and then to Doctors without Borders.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I like Women for Women--they help women in horrible circumstances (war, poverty) learn trades to become self-sufficient. I also like Habitat for Humanity, Doctors Without Borders, and a small charity called Help One Now that's building a school in Haiti.

I donate to Samaritan's Purse and my local no-kill humane society. Another option if you want to do small, unique gifts while donating is to buy from the Greater Good Network website (amongst others they host the Animal Rescue Site - that website where you click daily and they donate pet food equivalent to the number of clicks they get). I just got a really pretty bracelet for $9 off the Hunger part of the site for someone as a gift, and it funded 25 cups of food for people.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I donate to the Wounded Warrior Project, and to America's Vet Dog (website is:
    www.vetdogs.org ) and they train and donate service dogs to help severly wounded military soldiers and retirees. One dog is the friend and assistant for one of our captains, and who is still on active duty despite losing both legs in combat.
    Love the sound of vetdogs.org, will definately check them out!

At my office, we collect toys for Toys for Tots so I have given to them already this holiday season. But yes, can do more for them. My office filled up 2 of the Toys for Tots boxes completely plus a bike this year!

I will look at some of the local charities as well, thanks everyone for the ideas!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

If you're thinking internationally, I love www.gvi.org, which is the charitable trust of the volunteer organization I interned with while in South Africa. You can click through the projects they fund all over the world on the website, but feel free to PM me if anyone has questions about the Cape Town specific projects.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

We do "Toys for Tots" every year. In fact, last week we picked up $150 worth of absolutely HUGE stuffed animals (each easily the size of a small child) at Costco which my husband brought to his office "Toys for Tots" donation center.

And we also make a point of bringing more than double what we normally bring every week to our local food pantry - this time of year making it heavy on the fresh/frozen meat - hams, turkeys, cornish game hens, etc. And I never forget to bring boxes & boxes of candy canes as well. Yeah - food pantry folks don't need candy canes, but when I brought them last Xmas for the first time, a woman started crying because she was so happy to be able to give her kids something fun. I'll never not bring them again.

And we give generously to the Salvation Army this time of year as well.

www.seva.org

They make blind people see. No kidding.

I'm a big Kiva lender, too.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Feed America First is my local favorite. They serve as a distribution point for tractor trailer loads of surplus food - everything from yogurt and pasta to sweet potatoes and cantalope - and get it out directly to food pantries and local church food banks. A very few paid employees do a remarkable job with many volunteers.