The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 302
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You buy them back. I'm ready to donate to the buy back program.

    Why are we selling high capacity magazines to the person on the street? Regulate that for a start. More licensing, more background checks, no more internet gun and ammunition sales, no more selling guns at a gun show without a background check.

    We need to attack mental health issues. From what I'm hearing the psychologists say, most of these shooters are severely depressed. Let's start treating these potential shooters as kids...and lets think about why they're almost always young white males.
    In California we cannot buy high-capacity magazines. In California we can't buy guns at gun shows and take them home. In California we can't buy a gun off the Internet and have it delivered to our house.

    I don't know what the gun laws are in other states, but in California (much to the dismay of many people I know) we have to go through a lengthy process - take a handgun safety test, go through a background check, wait a week before taking possession. We have to have a background check and a wait period before each gun we purchase - regardless of the fact that we may have already gone through this process for previous guns purchased. If we buy a gun not from a gun shop but online, we have to have it sent to a certified gun broker and again go through the background check and wait period before taking possession.

    Just FYI for anyone who is wondering how "normal" people buy guns. I'm not sure how criminals do it - some may be stolen (as in the current case), some are purchased on the black market.

    Oh, and when purchasing a gun we also sign an affidavit saying what kind of lockdown system we will have for our gun - either a safe (California-approved) or gun locks for each individual gun.

    The gun owners I know take their responsibility for safety very seriously.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May. 8, 2006
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    754

    Default

    This shooting was a cultural issue, not a gun issue. For every person that finds it acceptable to do something like this to innocent people, let alone innocent children, there are are thousands more people that legally and responsibly own and operate firearms. Getting rid of guns, ultimately, is only going to punish those who follow the correct channels.

    I fully support the second amendement giving Americans the right to own and utilize firearms. My answer is to become more stringent not only with the guns themselves, but also with the ammunition. I think waiting periods should be enforced (I'll admit, I don't know specific waiting periods federally or within specific states), and waiting periods for those who do not possess a carry license should be longer than those who do. I believe certain types of ammunition should only be sold by firearms dealers, and there should be limits to how much can be purchased in a day (much like alcohol is limited). Hopefully limits like these can help thwart those who may decide 'in the heat of the moment' to do something, and those that are responsible owners can simply plan ahead.

    Will this fix everything? No. Would this have stopped the shooter in CT from committing the crime? No, the guns he utilized were acquired legally by someone else. It could be a start, though.

    Another thing to consider is that, in Indiana, I do not have to know anything about how a gun works, etc in order to get a lifetime permit to carry. I simply have to pass the appropriate background check(s) and bring them their cash. Generally, someone who doesn't know a thing about guns/shooting isn't going to get a permit, but perhaps a required gun safety course should be considered as well.

    Gun control doesn't have to be about banning all guns or keeping all guns. It can be about safety and responsibility.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    In California we cannot buy high-capacity magazines. In California we can't buy guns at gun shows and take them home. In California we can't buy a gun off the Internet and have it delivered to our house.

    I don't know what the gun laws are in other states, but in California (much to the dismay of many people I know) we have to go through a lengthy process - take a handgun safety test, go through a background check, wait a week before taking possession. We have to have a background check and a wait period before each gun we purchase - regardless of the fact that we may have already gone through this process for previous guns purchased. If we buy a gun not from a gun shop but online, we have to have it sent to a certified gun broker and again go through the background check and wait period before taking possession.

    Just FYI for anyone who is wondering how "normal" people buy guns. I'm not sure how criminals do it - some may be stolen (as in the current case), some are purchased on the black market.

    Oh, and when purchasing a gun we also sign an affidavit saying what kind of lockdown system we will have for our gun - either a safe (California-approved) or gun locks for each individual gun.

    The gun owners I know take their responsibility for safety very seriously.
    MOST, the vast, VAST majority of gun owners do take their responsibility seroiusly. Unfortunately, I think in 2011 California led the country (or was right behind DC) in gun murders, so for all those restrictions, does not appear to be much impact.

    I do appreciate that this kind of outrage is crazy. And people do have to talk about various options (obviously, I am on the MORE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES AND ASSISTNACE TO FAMILIES page). Again, gun owners and those of us supporitve of the 2nd amendment are devastated by gun violence, and are also interested in possible options, if we can discuss them without all the "Jane you ignorant slut" kinds of commentary (which, really, is not very prevalent here, which is awesome given the emotions around this)


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    I fully support the second amendement giving Americans the right to own and utilize firearms. My answer is to become more stringent not only with the guns themselves, but also with the ammunition. I think waiting periods should be enforced (I'll admit, I don't know specific waiting periods federally or within specific states), and waiting periods for those who do not possess a carry license should be longer than those who do. I believe certain types of ammunition should only be sold by firearms dealers, and there should be limits to how much can be purchased in a day (much like alcohol is limited). Hopefully limits like these can help thwart those who may decide 'in the heat of the moment' to do something, and those that are responsible owners can simply plan ahead.
    All of what you describe has been tried at some point or another in the last 30 years either at the state or federal level.

    Nothing on your wish list has had any impact on crime.

    I, and LOTS of others, are simply not going to accept going back in time just to "do something" or "hope" it works this time.

    We are willing to put up whatever kind of fight needs to be fought to stop more gun control. And this time the courts, all the way to the USSC, are on our side.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    So then what do you suggest, caballero? Every time a gun control issue comes up, people rise up in defense of gun ownership, which is fine and all, but none of them suggest anything to make the problem go away.

    What can we do as a nation to stop things like this from happening?


    9 members found this post helpful.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2004
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    In California we cannot buy high-capacity magazines. In California we can't buy guns at gun shows and take them home. In California we can't buy a gun off the Internet and have it delivered to our house.

    I don't know what the gun laws are in other states, but in California (much to the dismay of many people I know) we have to go through a lengthy process - take a handgun safety test, go through a background check, wait a week before taking possession. We have to have a background check and a wait period before each gun we purchase - regardless of the fact that we may have already gone through this process for previous guns purchased. If we buy a gun not from a gun shop but online, we have to have it sent to a certified gun broker and again go through the background check and wait period before taking possession.

    Just FYI for anyone who is wondering how "normal" people buy guns. I'm not sure how criminals do it - some may be stolen (as in the current case), some are purchased on the black market.

    Oh, and when purchasing a gun we also sign an affidavit saying what kind of lockdown system we will have for our gun - either a safe (California-approved) or gun locks for each individual gun.

    The gun owners I know take their responsibility for safety very seriously.
    Pennsylvania is a pretty pro-gun state, but when my (24 year old) son wanted to get a gun, I told him if he wanted to have on in my house, he first had to take the NRA safety course and prove he was capable of handling it. We took the course together (a refresher is always a good idea anyway), and as it turns out, he is a far better shot than I am. My glock is new to me, and I really need a lot more practice with it. So mine only goes on the range until I'm much better with it.

    It comes down to common sense.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Stolen Virtue.
    Read up on The Trail of Tears, Wounded Knee, how The Hoover-villes were "cleaned up"' Ruby Ridge, Waco and more recently the drone attack that killed an American living in Yemen (agreed he was against us, but he was executed without trial).
    Our founding fathers put on checks and balances for the government, with greatest check being We The People.

    "Wounded knee the same as Waco"? Wow that's a stretch, and pretty delusional.

    Our founding fathers never meant automatic weapons could be stockpiled by citizens to "defend themselves from the government" buy hey if that is the delusion that you choose to justify all this killing, then that is your choice.

    Drone attacks without a trial ? You must be protesting indefinate detention and holding suspected terrorists without a trial.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2004
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are
    neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things
    worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to
    encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
    greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare
    Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764).
    There are actually people who gave a thumbs down to Thomas Jefferson? One of the greatest minds in history...wow.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,032

    Default

    One of the things that troubles me, knowing that I'll get a big ol thumbs down for it, is some of the reasoning behind not increasing gun control.

    We need guns in case our government "goes bad" and we have to overthrow it. Really? This is an actual worry on your mind?

    I'd much rather hear statistical facts about why owning guns makes us safer then crazy statements like this.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,356

    Default

    Has anyone noticed that these mass killing occur in 'Gun Free' zones?

    Apparantly the Killers prefer their prey to be unarmed and incapable of defence.

    States with the harshest gun control ironically have the highest crime rate. Maybe it is just me seeing patters where there are none but I think there might just be a connection.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6


    8 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Our founding fathers never meant automatic weapons could be stockpiled by citizens to "defend themselves from the government".
    LOL....How would you know?

    By your logic the first amendment applies only to spoken word and those printed on paper by mechanical presses.

    It is undeniable that the founding fathers saw an armed populace as a check against tyranny. Their well documented works are full of direct statements and inferences in support of such.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I'd much rather hear statistical facts about why owning guns makes us safer then crazy statements like this.
    Rights need not be justified by statistics, cause and effect, or any other debatable rationale.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    One of the things that troubles me, knowing that I'll get a big ol thumbs down for it, is some of the reasoning behind not increasing gun control.

    We need guns in case our government "goes bad" and we have to overthrow it. Really? This is an actual worry on your mind?

    I'd much rather hear statistical facts about why owning guns makes us safer then crazy statements like this.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    What can we do as a nation to stop things like this from happening?
    Don't be like Dr Petit, who cowered in fear against invaders and watched his family murdered before his eyes because he stupidly put his safety in the hands of "government" and had neither the means nor the mindset to fight for what he was supposed to PERSONALLY protect.

    I know that's not going to sit well with a lot of you here. Well, I don't much care. Someone's got to lay out the distasteful truth that evil will never be eradicated and that history shows time and again that the only way to stop violence in progress is with directed violence.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov. 24, 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,461

    Default It isn't the guns

    Here in our little, rural, okay, just short of redneck town, in the past 4 or 5 years there have been 3 home invasions. 4 fatalities.

    The fatalies were the idiots who broke into the homes of people who were not only armed, but really good shots.. they followed the bloodtrails to "damn I missed" guys and got all of them.


    Seems like word has gotten around now. Yeah, they still grow pot and have meth labs, but nobody's breaking into anyones houses anymore.


    Wonder why????

    Make it an even playing field, I don't want a concealed weapon, I want it right out there where everyone can see it.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    9,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    There are actually people who gave a thumbs down to Thomas Jefferson? One of the greatest minds in history...wow.
    It's not the quote. It's you. They don't agree with you and what you are saying, so therefore everything you say is complete and utter garbage to them.

    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...47467539_n.jpg
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

    COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2004
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    One of the things that troubles me, knowing that I'll get a big ol thumbs down for it, is some of the reasoning behind not increasing gun control.

    We need guns in case our government "goes bad" and we have to overthrow it. Really? This is an actual worry on your mind?

    I'd much rather hear statistical facts about why owning guns makes us safer then crazy statements like this.
    Yes, actually, I do worry about the direction this country could be headed in. Apathy of the general populace, acceptance of the nanny state, intrusion into our personal lives.

    Around 55 million Americans are responsible gun owners. There are already innumerable gun laws on the books. The responsible gun owners aren't the problem - and has been repeatedly stated, we aren't the problem. More gun control laws are only going to impact those of us who already abide by the laws.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    4,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    It's not really about guns in this instance (that made you post this)....how about the man in China who killed 22 with a knife?
    The man who hurt 22 kids with a knife. And didn't kill even one. Wonder how he'd have made out had he a couple of guns on him instead.

    Or if the Connecticut shooter went into that school with a knife, not 3 guns. Something tells me there wouldn't be 27 bodies in the wake of that.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2004
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    It's not the quote. It's you. They don't agree with you and what you are saying, so therefore everything you say is complete and utter garbage to them.

    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...47467539_n.jpg
    Thanks. I was a little gobsmacked that people actually red thumbed Thomas Jefferson. Too bad they can't respond with his brilliance.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    4,660

    Default

    I don't understand why for some people the obvious answer is to arm even more people.

    In countries with strict gun control criminals can still find ways to get guns. It's not like those countries are entirely gun-free.

    Yet these kinds of school and workplace shootings just don't seem to happen. Why?


    6 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Colorado Amendment 64
    By dani0303 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Nov. 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: Jun. 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
  3. Replies: 283
    Last Post: Sep. 21, 2005, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness