The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    You can't unload 100 rounds quickly with a couple of revolvers. With a couple of revolvers, it's likely he could have been subdued by the staff at the school and the police could have gotten there in time to save most of the children
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

Obviously a professional, ermm, hobbiest, but check the rest of the videos that pop up also. Speed loaders make the revolver nearly as fast as a semi-auto, and significantly less malfunctions. Just playing devil's advocate. He could have run into the school with a knife and done just as much carnage, or more, because a knife NEVER needs to be reloaded. Ever seen pictures of someone who's been cut in a knife fight? A little too graphic, but Google is your friend.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

3 members found this post helpful.

I feel like I'm reading that the Second Amendment supporters believe they need to have guns in order to protect themselves from the government.

What, pray tell, do you think the government is going to do?
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I feel like I'm reading that the Second Amendment supporters believe they need to have guns in order to protect themselves from the government.

What, pray tell, do you think the government is going to do?
    Do you watch the world news? Do you think just because this is the USA that the government can't go bad?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Is the name calling really necessary? There are a lot of gun owners on this board, and I don't think any of us are "yahoos". I think we all take our gun ownership pretty seriously.
    I don't see any name calling in Fish's post. Mr. Stolen has a couple of guns but we also support gun control. I don't think "anyone has a right to own guns" (more specifically automatic weapons) nor do I think anyone has a right to build bombs. Gun ownership should be controlled. You want to own weapons, prove that you are not a terrorist, deranged and are able to handle the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Do you watch the world news? Do you think just because this is the USA that the government can't go bad?
    "Go bad " like milk ? What on Gods green earth are you speaking of ?

8 members found this post helpful.

I think the NG is the closest thing to a "standing milita" (sp) we have now.
    We however have another problem what do we do with the "crazies" who get their hands on the weapons.. And it doesn't necessarly mean automatic, semi, or normal ( and I know nothing about guns because I do not own one) weapon. What do we do before they get their hand on them? Yes some "show signs" of mental illness before they go on their shotings some do not.ie the guy is Co. at the movie theater. Some do not. Do we go back and lock all the crazies up or what? What I mean is do we go back the way it was before when there was state mental hosp. that locked every mental case before (before I was born or maybe I was young) some group( maybe ACLU) went to court and long story short won and got the current ground rules we work under when it come to mental illness. (maybe someone with legal education can explan better than I). But then we run into the person "civil rights"... But I guess the persons "civil right" are more important than those of the children's and their parents...
    Friend of bar .ka

2 members found this post helpful.

Stolen Virtue.
    Read up on The Trail of Tears, Wounded Knee, how The Hoover-villes were "cleaned up"' Ruby Ridge, Waco and more recently the drone attack that killed an American living in Yemen (agreed he was against us, but he was executed without trial).
    Our founding fathers put on checks and balances for the government, with greatest check being We The People.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

8 members found this post helpful.

Also, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Prime example of how quickly things can go bad (yes, I definitely mean bad like milk ) in a civilized society.

4 members found this post helpful.

One of the most important laws on the books.

I have actually had to defend myself, in my home, from an armed intruder.

I would do it again and if guns were outlawed/restricted then I will be part of the outlaw movement.

18 members found this post helpful.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

Just about every argument ever put forward by anyone respecting the Second Amendment was meticulously addressed in this lengthy Supreme Court decision. The vote was divided but the logic of the majority (which would have to be systematically addressed by a future decision contemplating any change of direction) seems 'bulletproof' to me.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post

I also do think it is a social problem, that runs deeper than just gun control.
    I feel so strongly in the truth of this statement, a green thumbs up is not enough. It's not just guns, it's how people walk (eyes glued to a smartphone, ears plugged into their own sounds), park their cars ... DRIVE their cars ... behave in general, as though nothing matters but their own in-the-minute desires.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Unprovoked92 View Post
    This is stated far more eloquently than I could put together. Well said, truly.

For those who want stronger gun laws, what do you propose? How would you get the firearms currently "out there" back? Send out a letter and hope everyone brings them to the town square? Unfortunately, there is no way to take guns away from criminals. Meth is illegal, yet it still on the streets. Making firearms illegal will only take them out of the hands of law abiding citizens and make the black market larger. People would find other ways to kill each other. People have been killing people long before guns were invented.
    I feel like the root of the problem is how this country handles people with mental illnesses. How do these people continue to "slip through the cracks"? Work to fix the actual cause of the problem, not the symptoms. I have my carry permit, we are a multiple firearm household, but *I* am not about to run out and commit murder. I am keep my firearms in a safe place, and I certainly would not give my firearms up if the government (or whoever) came after them. Because, if poo really hits the fan, I would NOT trust our government over my friends and family to protect me.
    My heart goes out to the people effected in this tragedy, but my first thought wasn’t “Take the guns away!” it was “why didn’t a single person in the school have a firearm? Why wasn’t this person taken out before he could harm so many defenseless people?”
    In a perfect world, it would be all cupcakes and rainbows, but it’s not, and it’s never going to be. Taking away the right the bear arms won’t make it perfect…it will just leave us defenseless.
    You buy them back. I'm ready to donate to the buy back program.

Why are we selling high capacity magazines to the person on the street? Regulate that for a start. More licensing, more background checks, no more internet gun and ammunition sales, no more selling guns at a gun show without a background check.

We need to attack mental health issues. From what I'm hearing the psychologists say, most of these shooters are severely depressed. Let's start treating these potential shooters as kids...and lets think about why they're almost always young white males.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

All the ignorance in this thread is just reason enough to double down against any and all gun control.

"No more internet gun sales"? Do you really think one can go to gunbroker.com and order a gun to arrive at one's house? You have no earthly idea how all this works.

Nobody, none of you, have the right to tell others what they need or don't need. Period.

The jurisprudence on the Second Amendment has been ALL in our favor in the recent past and we are going to use it to bludgeon anyone who comes up against us.

17 members found this post helpful.

Lauraky...mine aren't for sale...and many feel the same way. criminals will always be able to obtain them...while others looking only for self defense will not. If your home is broken into how fast will the police arrive? Certainly not quick enough to prevent you from being shot multiple times from even a muzzle loader.

And as for government "gone bad" its imo far less tangible then you are thinking. No, I don't think a government official will come kill me in my sleep. Its more the idea of when poo hits the laws will not be there to protect you. Just like the laws were not there to protect those poor children.

Quote Originally Posted by Vert View Post
    At at very young age, I knew guns were dangerous and it was never acceptable to aim a gun at someone unless you intended to kill them.
    *L* Yes, gun education was part of my youth too. To the point that when I was in a high school play and the villain was supposed to point a shotgun (empty IRL) at me, I wouldn't permit it. No way no how. I would not stand in front of a real gun, even if it was proven to be empty. (As you can see, the teacher director was obviously NOT trained in firearms.) Ended up that the machine-shop and woodworking classes made us a shotgun look-alike.

Just a few days ago, a robbery (at the least) and possible shooting (at the most) was prevented here by a woman with a handgun. A guy walked into a hair salon, interacted with the person at the desk, and then started to pull a handgun on her. That is, until one of the older women (who was under a hairdryer, LOL!) pulled a gun of her own and pointed it at the perp. He quietly put his gun back in his pants and left.
    YOU GO, GIRL!

IMO, people who want to kill will find a way. If not guns, then with bombs (Oklahoma City). If not with bombs, then with sarin gas in subways (Japan). If not with gas, then by driving cars into crowds (Isla Vista).

All these cases have one thing in common, and it's not guns. It's troubled/crazy people. And we can't legislate against those.

Liz

11 members found this post helpful.

I'm not one advocating for banning all guns, and I don't know enough about semi-automatic versus automatic versus bolt versus pump-action versus lever-action guns to be able to really say anything about those (other than thinking that there is no reason for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon or an assault rifle).

I do think, though, that there's clearly something wrong with the system. I don't think we can pretend that everything with current gun legislation is working and is hunky-dory, because there have been so many cases just this year of mass shootings. Not with as many casualties as yesterday in Newtown, but too many. Yes, people who really want to get those guns right now to do bad things can do so, I understand that they'll do just about anything to get them.

But... we need to change something, and pretending that everything is peachy keen with the way things are is not going to do it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiewind2 View Post
    It's troubled/crazy people. And we can't legislate against those.
    Legislate? Heck we can't even get most of them out of Congress.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    He could have run into the school with a knife and done just as much carnage, or more, because a knife NEVER needs to be reloaded. Ever seen pictures of someone who's been cut in a knife fight? A little too graphic, but Google is your friend.
    Yes, he could have run into the school with a knife. It just happened in China...22 children were stabbed. The difference? None of the stabbed children are dead. They'll be going home with their parents.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    Legislate? Heck we can't even get most of them out of Congress.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    So those who defend the second amendment agree to serve in state militias? That's how I read it.
    I would.

FWIW....I live in what most of you would call a "rough" neighborhood. Everybody here is armed, and most people are law abiding citizens. Here's the thing...you can leave your keys hanging in your car, your house unlocked and the property gate wide open. Nobody will bother any of your things. Coincidence?

3 members found this post helpful.