The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MRSA

Well, as the title says I am in solitary confinement because I have MRSA. My abcess has not ruptured but is a bit painful. I am on a Sulfa antibiotic. I also have a rash on the upper rt side of my lip.

How many have had it? My DR. said if it does rupture I need to just stick a Peroxcide q-tip in it 3x a day. He also said I need to Hot compress it 6x a day until it ruptures or goes away. This helps get the antibiotic into the abcess.
    Last edited by Nootka; Jan. 7, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I feel your pain. My son and I both have it - got it caring for my mom.

I get an out break every 5 - 6 weeks, tend to get single boils that are the size of golf balls on up to the size of a softball.

My son gets smaller ones all over his body, and on about the same schedule, maybe not as frequently.

I recenty started Manuka honey therapy, which seems to help heal them more quickly. Wait til it ruptures. Twice a day, do the hydrogen peroxide cleansing, followed with packing it with Manuka honey and covering it with a bandage.

I'm allergic to sulpha drugs, but antibiotics seem to help clear it up, but obviously don't cure it.

It sucks that I'll have to live with this for the rest of my life.

Hope you heal quickly!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

When does it stop being contagious? (without the rupture) This crap is driving me crazy. Good thing my parents already had a vacation planned for my 2 kids. They wont be back until next sat
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

What is it? I'm afraid I've never heard of it... But I *am* sorry that you guys are going through it. Doesn't sound like fun. :-(
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

My mother's SO had MERSA in her sputum while in the ICU year before last. She was on a vent at the time and we were scared half to death that it would colonize her lungs. According to the internet that's a 50/50 survival rate.

She didn't otherwise have symptoms but she was isolated in a pressurized room, used to have to don the gown and gloves and wash wash wash after visits. Can't name off the antibiotics she was on but she had multiple tubes just for delivery of meds, it was serious stuff.

On the other hand, the doctors said that MERSA is often a normal component of people's flora and they never have any sort of reaction. When I was visiting her I had developed some stirrup rubs and they weren't healing the way I liked so I did wonder. A good daily wash and covering helped them heal up.

Keep your wound very clean as instructed and dispose of contaminated articles separately, toss those used Qtips straight into a little plastic bag and don't handle them or put them down on anything unless you toss that too. AFAIK MERSA is not nastier than Staph Aureus, it's a variant form that is hard to get rid of, much harder, so cleanliness is very important. It's still not immune to hot hot water, to good handwashing technique or bleach. Yet.

Hope you heal up without further complications!

My mother's SO made as close to a full recovery as she could considering the surgery that got her in there in the first place. She's pretty tough for 82 years old.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrsa

Here is a good lood at it
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    When does it stop being contagious? (without the rupture) This crap is driving me crazy. Good thing my parents already had a vacation planned for my 2 kids. They wont be back until next sat
    Once you have it, you pretty much always have it. You have the risk of being contagious primarily to those with immune system disorders. It can be passed from sneezing or open wound. It's a beyotch.

The Wiki is pretty comprehensive. Scary too.

We also had a gent at work with skin problems, and hygiene issues. He had to be in his forties at least and had pimples that he used to pick at during the course of the workday (obviously this wasn't at any kind of customer service job). I took to carrying Clorox wipes to work in mass quantities and any time I used shared equipment I'd Clorox the he!! out of the handles - but I'd lose too much time if I Cloroxed each and every piece of equipment I touched so I used gloves and often used the nitrile gloves as well. Supposedly this gentleman did end up with a severe MRSA infection and spent time hospitalized. When he came back his hair was cut short and his face was quite a bit clearer.

There have always been resistant individuals that harbor bacteria and viruses. Typhoid Mary was the famous one. Spending money on research to find out why seems worthy to me.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Once you have it, you pretty much always have it. You have the risk of being contagious primarily to those with immune system disorders. It can be passed from sneezing or open wound. It's a beyotch.
    really!?! I had no idea. Why me... this sucks!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

Well, as the title says I am in solitary confinement because I have MERSA. My abcess has not ruptured but is a bit painful. I am on a Sulfa antibiotic. I also have a rash on the upper rt side of my lip.

How many have had it? My DR. said if it does rupture I need to just stick a Peroxcide q-tip in it 3x a day. He also said I need to Hot compress it 6x a day until it ruptures or goes away. This helps get the antibiotic into the abcess.
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt I started with one large lump in my armpit which went away with Cephelexin. But shortly there after I woke up with 4 more! So 10 days of SmZ's were in order. All seems well for now but I'm still afraid to shave my under arms as doc said that's what caused the other 4 to pop up, shaving to early before previous lump had healed. Thankfully I haven't had to have any lanced and drained they just re-absorb.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have any of you done the hot compress? Does this work to get the anibiotic into the abcess?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

IME the hot compresses help draw the puss once the boil ruptures or is lanced. My doc never said anything about hot compresses helping the antibiotics.

Oh, and forgot to mention one other treat.

I do a round of antibiotics, get a yeast infection.

Do a round of monostat, get another outbreak, do the antibiotics, do a round of monostat.

It's gotten to the point that when I go to the grocery store, the coupon program is intuitive enough to print out a monostat coupon. Sigh.

Have any of you done the hot compress? Does this work to get the anibiotic into the abcess?
    My doc suggested them. Doesn't do much to help the antibiotics As far as I know but should help them surface/rupture. Honestly mine were too painful to even think about touching them with anything.

Ugh, MRSA. My dad has it. He got it from the hospital. I can see how it spreads though, he has been admitted to the hospital a few times and my mom tells the DR's and Nurses that he has MRSA and they ignore her and put him in a room with another patient. Then they test his blood discover the MRSA apparently panic and isolate him.

My uncle who was a diabetic got MRSA from the hospital as well, he ended up losing his legs from infections that I'm sure the MRSA didn't help. Grossness to be honest if I told you the story about him losing his toe and then having to have the rest of the leg up to his knee amputated. He has since passed. He had a slew of health problems from the diabetes and chose to stop his dialysis and he passed away.

It does stay with you. Seems my dad has flare ups when he has a surgery or something else "stressfull".
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Horse people are much more likely to be carriers of MRSA.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/228...n-horse-people

I had MRSA about four years ago... not pretty, and not fun.

I went to the doctor with severe pain in my leg and was prescribed Bactrim. That night I was admitted to the hospital overnight with severe vomiting, increased pain, and dehydration. Turns out I'm allergic to Sulfa. I ended up doing several days of IV treatments every twelve hours, so I would come in to the urgent care service provided by my doctor to get ninety minutes or so of the IV at 3:30 am/ pm. When I didn't show progress they lanced the area. I shudder thinking about that part. It took ten days to get it under control so I could start getting back into my routine.

And yes, it's very common for women with MRSA to get a yeast infection. Hoorah!

I remember the heat compress helped soothe the pain while it was on. Do they have you outlining the area in marker to see if it's shrinking? Be sure to keep up with the cleaning routines (changing your sheets and comforters, treating the wound, etc.). Good luck and keep us posted!
    <><

Ooh, MRSA is scary. Best of luck to you. I had a bad case of staph once that luckily didn't get that far.

Sulfa drugs SUUUCK. Always gives me a headache. Jingling for you.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Nootka, I've been wondering how you've been doing. Any improvement?

creepy- I was just reading this thread on a search.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I'm confused now by reading this thread.

I had MRSA a few years ago. Little bit of a crazy story. I was breaking in a new pair of tall boots while at a horse show, and I got a TINY TINY blister on the back of my knee - I mean tiny - probably the size of my pinky fingernail. The blister showed up on a Saturday. I drove home from KY that Sunday. By Monday afternoon, the blister had gotten very hard, and painful. Tuesday morning it was seriously red, and very painful. When I was a teenager, I had a nasty staph infection in my finger from slamming it in a truck door, and this blister looked like it was turning into something gross.

Wednesday morning, I had my Mom drive me to urgent care - we just thought the blister had become infected and I needed some antibiotics. Urgent care doc tells me it was an abscess that was progressing to cellulitis. He gave me a prescription for cephalexin and doxycycline, and sent me home with directions to do hot compresses on it to basically soften it up, and then come back the next day to have it drained.

Overnight, the pain got just awful. I went back in, and the doctor got very concerned. Even with the antibiotics, it had worsened, and (this is gross!) he said he could detect a slight odor coming from it. EEK! He said it appeared that there was some necrotic tissue that needed to be removed, but he didn't feel comfortable doing it because the location of it was over the artery behind my knee, so he sent me to a doctor by the hospital. I believe she was just a general surgeon, but she may have had a speciality - I was a little out of it from the pain and lack of sleep.

She said I needed to have it cut into and the dead tissue removed. So, she cut into my leg - a space that was about the diameter of a coke can , but fairly shallow. She sent me home that day, with it packed and bandaged and instructions to keep taking the antibiotics and return the next day.

Went back the next morning - she unwrapped it and immediately sent me over to the hospital. I was on wound isolation so I skipped all the admittance crap, and I had a private room. Those were the only perks of this entire ordeal. While they didn't have results back yet, she told me she believed I had MRSA. In addition, I was in a ton of pain. They gave me Dilaudid, and started me on two forms of IV antibiotics. My friends and family could visit, but had to wear all sorts of garb. I ended up being there for three weeks. Horrible, really. Them changing the bandaging was excruciating - the place she had removed flesh was packed and nothing was non-stick so when the bandaging come off and then the pulled the packing out of the wound....yeah. In addition, I have horrible veins, and the antibiotic irritated the vein in my original IV site. The nurse was flushing my IV, and when she pushed the plunger of the syringe, I had a shooting burning pain. Lovely. So they had to change my IV site, which proved to be a challenge, and I almost ended up with a central line. I wasn't allowed out of bed the first two weeks either.

Anyway. The reason I'm confused is that I was told that while some people do become colonized or become carriers or whatever and can suffer from recurring outbreaks, that often correct treatment can eradicate the possibility of recurrent attacks, or infecting other people. Once I was discharged, I went back for quite a few visits as it healed. My last visit she basically told me to monitor any cuts or scrapes I get in the future, but she never mentioned me infecting other people, or getting random sores from it. Perhaps it's dependent on the strain you get?