The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 95
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    My opinion is this;
    We are dealing with a generation where there wasn't a loser. Everyone gets a trophy and everyone is equal.
    We are dealing with a generation that doesn't get the chance to burn off energy-most are couch potatoes. I always think of Ceasar Milan and his philosophy of either having the dog pull him on roller skates or treadmill. Seems everyone is quick to diagnose these kids with ADD when in fact, let them go outside and PLAY. No video games, no stupid phones.
    Kids are used to instant access/gratification. No one interacts with each other anymore- how many here have been at a restaurant and witnessed a family on their phones playing games or texting, and never say a word to each other the entire meal?
    Reference the above- people that don't interact with other human beings have no sense of empathy or compassion for each other. How can they?
    The difference between when I grew up and kids today is being kept inside was considered punishment. Families ate dinner together, sharing their day. We had chores to do and were held responsible for our screw ups.
    We were taught it is ok to fail. It's part of life and we learned from our failures.
    If we couldn't earn a living with one job, we got a second job...or a third.
    I am working on my Masters and a majority of my classmates are in their 20's. Most feel entitled to a student loan bailout and deem most jobs beneath them. When I explain that I will be funding their bailout, they argue it is the federal government, not me, that will pay for their bailout.
    Yes, there are some young people I know that work their tails off and go to school. I admire them beyond belief and hope they are the ones that lead our country in the future. The rest scare me.
    And no, I don't need no flame suit. I am 54 and stand by my beliefs.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    13 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    My opinion is this;
    We are dealing with a generation where there wasn't a loser. Everyone gets a trophy and everyone is equal.
    We are dealing with a generation that doesn't get the chance to burn off energy-most are couch potatoes. I always think of Ceasar Milan and his philosophy of either having the dog pull him on roller skates or treadmill. Seems everyone is quick to diagnose these kids with ADD when in fact, let them go outside and PLAY. No video games, no stupid phones.
    Kids are used to instant access/gratification. No one interacts with each other anymore- how many here have been at a restaurant and witnessed a family on their phones playing games or texting, and never say a word to each other the entire meal?
    Reference the above- people that don't interact with other human beings have no sense of empathy or compassion for each other. How can they?
    The difference between when I grew up and kids today is being kept inside was considered punishment. Families ate dinner together, sharing their day. We had chores to do and were held responsible for our screw ups.
    We were taught it is ok to fail. It's part of life and we learned from our failures.
    If we couldn't earn a living with one job, we got a second job...or a third.
    I am working on my Masters and a majority of my classmates are in their 20's. Most feel entitled to a student loan bailout and deem most jobs beneath them. When I explain that I will be funding their bailout, they argue it is the federal government, not me, that will pay for their bailout.
    Yes, there are some young people I know that work their tails off and go to school. I admire them beyond belief and hope they are the ones that lead our country in the future. The rest scare me.
    And no, I don't need no flame suit. I am 54 and stand by my beliefs.
    100% agree.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,183

    Default

    All well and good, 54-year-old, but by and large is has been members of your generation who enjoyed the perks of liar loans and then bankruptcy law that gave you bailouts for your flavor of debt while, statistically speaking, you didn't start your adulthood in the red.

    Belonging to neither generation, I'll talk smack about the whippersnappers where its deserved only. Financial injustice isn't it. On the contrary, your generation is getting the long end of the stick, especially in comparison the that of the current whippersnappers.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep. 23, 2012
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I will start with the preface, I am a 20 something, I am also originally from CT. Watching the news and reading the stories really, really hurt, it hurt a lot of people. It is a terrible, awful tragedy and I pray for those who were involved.

    "Kids" have changed over the years. But, if you are under the impression that all 20 somethings act as though they are "entitled", maybe you need to open your eyes.

    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I have been serving my country for almost 10 years. A majority of my Soldiers are 20 somethings, some are even younger. They are willing to give their lives for others so they can be free, willing to sacrifice themselves for those they have never met. Just so you know, this generation has more than one face.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2003
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meboss84 View Post
    I will start with the preface, I am a 20 something, I am also originally from CT. Watching the news and reading the stories really, really hurt, it hurt a lot of people. It is a terrible, awful tragedy and I pray for those who were involved.

    "Kids" have changed over the years. But, if you are under the impression that all 20 somethings act as though they are "entitled", maybe you need to open your eyes.

    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I have been serving my country for almost 10 years. A majority of my Soldiers are 20 somethings, some are even younger. They are willing to give their lives for others so they can be free, willing to sacrifice themselves for those they have never met. Just so you know, this generation has more than one face.

    Well said.



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2000
    Location
    Greenville, MI,
    Posts
    11,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    My opinion is this;
    We are dealing with a generation where there wasn't a loser. Everyone gets a trophy and everyone is equal.
    We are dealing with a generation that doesn't get the chance to burn off energy-most are couch potatoes. I always think of Ceasar Milan and his philosophy of either having the dog pull him on roller skates or treadmill. Seems everyone is quick to diagnose these kids with ADD when in fact, let them go outside and PLAY. No video games, no stupid phones.
    Kids are used to instant access/gratification. No one interacts with each other anymore- how many here have been at a restaurant and witnessed a family on their phones playing games or texting, and never say a word to each other the entire meal?
    Reference the above- people that don't interact with other human beings have no sense of empathy or compassion for each other. How can they?
    The difference between when I grew up and kids today is being kept inside was considered punishment. Families ate dinner together, sharing their day. We had chores to do and were held responsible for our screw ups.
    We were taught it is ok to fail. It's part of life and we learned from our failures.
    If we couldn't earn a living with one job, we got a second job...or a third.
    I am working on my Masters and a majority of my classmates are in their 20's. Most feel entitled to a student loan bailout and deem most jobs beneath them. When I explain that I will be funding their bailout, they argue it is the federal government, not me, that will pay for their bailout.
    Yes, there are some young people I know that work their tails off and go to school. I admire them beyond belief and hope they are the ones that lead our country in the future. The rest scare me.
    And no, I don't need no flame suit. I am 54 and stand by my beliefs.
    Brilliant! Best Post yet!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    All well and good, 54-year-old, but by and large is has been members of your generation who enjoyed the perks of liar loans and then bankruptcy law that gave you bailouts for your flavor of debt while, statistically speaking, you didn't start your adulthood in the red.
    Student loans can be handled responsibly. Use what you need for books and tuition and send the surplus back. One of my classmates wailed about his $80,000 in student loan debt, demanding he get a bailout, declaring that is why he voted for the current president. When I made the above suggestion, he asked how he would live if he had to send the money back. I said, "Get a J-O-B." Suspend your college education for a year and go get a job driving a truck out in the oil field. Right now companies are desperate for drivers, will train them and pay upwards of $60,000-$100,000 a year right now.
    The young man said he didn't want a dirty job driving a truck. No, he just wants others to get him out of the mess he got himself in.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Student loans can be handled responsibly. Use what you need for books and tuition and send the surplus back. One of my classmates wailed about his $80,000 in student loan debt, demanding he get a bailout, declaring that is why he voted for the current president. When I made the above suggestion, he asked how he would live if he had to send the money back. I said, "Get a J-O-B." Suspend your college education for a year and go get a job driving a truck out in the oil field. Right now companies are desperate for drivers, will train them and pay upwards of $60,000-$100,000 a year right now.
    The young man said he didn't want a dirty job driving a truck. No, he just wants others to get him out of the mess he got himself in.
    And you think this asshat is representative of an entire generation? Right.

    You're 54, right? I knew a woman about your age - I supervised her probation (yeah, I had a real job between degrees). She was paying her court fees with her welfare and whined to me about how "teh welfare people" were making her get a job.

    By your logic, it's your generation that's a bunch of lazy, whining criminals. At least the asshat from my generation was getting an education.

    ETA: And I don't know where y'all get your information, but I'm pretty sure my generation still had winners and losers. I am forever traumatized by the fact that I always did terribly in the science fair.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meboss84 View Post
    I will start with the preface, I am a 20 something, I am also originally from CT. Watching the news and reading the stories really, really hurt, it hurt a lot of people. It is a terrible, awful tragedy and I pray for those who were involved.

    "Kids" have changed over the years. But, if you are under the impression that all 20 somethings act as though they are "entitled", maybe you need to open your eyes.

    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I have been serving my country for almost 10 years. A majority of my Soldiers are 20 somethings, some are even younger. They are willing to give their lives for others so they can be free, willing to sacrifice themselves for those they have never met. Just so you know, this generation has more than one face.
    Double post.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon



  10. #70
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meboss84 View Post
    I will start with the preface, I am a 20 something, I am also originally from CT. Watching the news and reading the stories really, really hurt, it hurt a lot of people. It is a terrible, awful tragedy and I pray for those who were involved.

    "Kids" have changed over the years. But, if you are under the impression that all 20 somethings act as though they are "entitled", maybe you need to open your eyes.

    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I have been serving my country for almost 10 years. A majority of my Soldiers are 20 somethings, some are even younger. They are willing to give their lives for others so they can be free, willing to sacrifice themselves for those they have never met. Just so you know, this generation has more than one face.
    First, thank you for your service. And no, if you read my original post I stated not all young people are moochers or feel they are entitled.
    Soldiers have been sacrificing their lives throughout history. In my generation it was in the Vietnam war. When those poor young people came home, they were ostracized and avoided. I didn't agree with it then and I still don't agree with it now. What really chaps my behind is when people like Barbara Walters seeks to champion the likes of Jane Fonda. Fonda is a traitor to our country and her U.S. citizenship should have been revoked upon her return to the States after her trip to Vietnam. But that's another topic.
    FWIW, I lost my cousin earlier this year. He died serving our country.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,108

    Default

    SNL, if you are ever in the Twin Cities area, let me know - I owe you a coffee or something for stating everything that I'd like to say!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    SNL, if you are ever in the Twin Cities area, let me know - I owe you a coffee or something for stating everything that I'd like to say!
    Will do. If you ever find yourself in the Kansas City area, shoot me a PM. I'll buy you a drink and we can commiserate about how worthless we are.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,284

    Default

    No one knows what causes autism. In the 1960s there were 1 out of 2500 autistic kids born in the US. Autism now occurs in one out of 88 births in the US. The spectrum runs the gamut from slightly affected youngsters to the sort that cannot function in our society. I know so many women who are the mothers of children who desperately need help. Mental health gets so little attention. It is the elephant in the room that we want to sweep under the rug. But, elephants don't fit under rugs.

    Mental illness is real. Do some people work the system, using it as an excuse? No doubt. Do many people lack self control or responsibility due to chemical imbalances in their brains that no one has figured out how to fix? Absolutely.

    There are no easy answers. Ranting won't help. Thoughtful consideration and fully facing the realities of our increasingly brutal, crude, selfish and ignorant society might yield answers.

    Read the article in the link. Read it all. It may open some minds.

    http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...thinkable.html


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Not maybe because he was simply a BAD person not crazy not insane just bad.
    Spoken like someone who has no idea what true mental illness really is. Mental illness is not an "excuse", it's a disease. A horrible, evil disease that affects more than just the diagnosed individual. Maybe Adam Lanza and all the other young, male shooters out there are just purely evil and perfectly sane, but I think it's much more likely they are truly ill and incapable of rational thought. Read this: http://thebluereview.org/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother/

    And sorry, your generation was no less affected, it was just less diagnosed, less understood and had less access to semi-automatic weapons, violent tv/video game images and viral media.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

    Equi-Sport Services


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Because this world is based on science, and in science "bad" doesn't exist. There is no "evil." Anyone who is outside the norm is outside the norm for a REASON. You are confused by what "explanation" means vs "excuse." Nobody is excusing the killer. Nobody is excusing any killer. But there's a reason for their actions, and that's not just "the devil took him."

    The more we focus on WHY people are doing these things, and WHAT the triggers are, the less they will happen.
    This is the message I was trying to convey, but you say it much more eloquently.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

    Equi-Sport Services


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jan. 23, 2000
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,905

    Default

    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I have been serving my country for almost 10 years. A majority of my Soldiers are 20 somethings, some are even younger. They are willing to give their lives for others so they can be free, willing to sacrifice themselves for those they have never met. Just so you know, this generation has more than one face.
    Thank you for your service.

    A friend of mine was killed in Afghanistan a few years ago. He wanted to serve his country after 9/11. He was 25.

    I'm a (relatively) young person and I've held a job since I was 16, including holding full time jobs while I was in school. Everything from waiting tables to handling the advertising for multi-billion dollar companies. I have no debt.

    The generalizations are astounding.
    ---
    They're small hearts.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meboss84 View Post

    I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, I have been serving my country for almost 10 years. A majority of my Soldiers are 20 somethings, some are even younger. They are willing to give their lives for others so they can be free, willing to sacrifice themselves for those they have never met. Just so you know, this generation has more than one face.
    Mr. Heinz and I would also like to thank you for your service.

    He was a baby-faced kid serving (Infantry, USMC) in Iraq just a few years ago. He deploys to Afghanistan in 2014 with the National Guard unit he just joined (still Infantry!), and as long as he comes back - will continue serving as long as they'll let him. He's put in nearly 8 years, signed up as soon as they'd let him. He faces a lot of attitudes at his "real" job like the ones presented here - 40- and 50-somethings shaking fingers at him with "back in my day" and "when I was your age" speeches, railing against young people and their lack of responsibility and sense of entitlement. Telling him he doesn't know, he hasn't lived long enough. He just shakes his head and tells people they do not want to know the things he knows, to see the things he's seen, and carries on. The old guys that come through are the most respectful of the bunch - the ones you see still sporting the USMC hat and a wrinkly old bulldog tattoo sixty years later, American flags plastered all over.

    If I were to choose.... I'd want THIS to be the face of my generation you judge us all by. That young man is an inspiration.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Student loans can be handled responsibly. Use what you need for books and tuition and send the surplus back. One of my classmates wailed about his $80,000 in student loan debt, demanding he get a bailout, declaring that is why he voted for the current president. When I made the above suggestion, he asked how he would live if he had to send the money back. I said, "Get a J-O-B." Suspend your college education for a year and go get a job driving a truck out in the oil field. Right now companies are desperate for drivers, will train them and pay upwards of $60,000-$100,000 a year right now.
    The young man said he didn't want a dirty job driving a truck. No, he just wants others to get him out of the mess he got himself in.
    Well.... if 20-something student borrowers want a bailout then you must admit that older borrowers who used their houses as ATMs, who didn't realize that an investment in real estate or stock was, by definition, a bet and not a guarantee of profit, or corporations who pleaded "too big to fail!" taught 'em how the game was played.

    Place the blame where it properly lies.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    5 members found this post helpful.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    QUOTE=mvp;6720751]Well.... if 20-something student borrowers want a bailout then you must admit that older borrowers who used their houses as ATMs, who didn't realize that an investment in real estate or stock was, by definition, a bet and not a guarantee of profit, or corporations who pleaded "too big to fail!" taught 'em how the game was played.

    Place the blame where it properly lies.[/QUOTE]

    I place the blame on people that don't do their research before making a financial decision and believe whatever their told like sheeple. I watched it happen to friends that bought a house they could never afford b/c they were approved for that enormous mortgage. They ended up losing everything.
    People can either be as smart as they want or as dumb as they want. Personal responsibility anyone?
    Last edited by kathy s.; Dec. 16, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Different word
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    I place the blame on people that don't do their research before making a financial decision and believe whatever their told like sheeple. I watched it happen to friends that bought a house they could never afford b/c they were approved for that enormous mortgage. They ended up losing everything.
    People can either be as smart as they want or as dumb as they want. Individual responsibility anyone?
    Fair enough. But apply the standard equally to young and old. And remember, too, that borrowing for education is a rather forced kind of debt. That's in part because college is a hell of a lot more expensive for the current generation than it was for those before and because we have not yet created a viable alternative to launching a successful adult life of earning without a bachelor's degree.

    If young'ns continue to buy more education than they can afford, it's not merely because they are stupid or more entitled than anyone else.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Rider's excuses; Funny :D
    By Nikki^ in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar. 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
  2. Rider Excuses
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar. 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
  3. Sick Kitty and ER Vet issues (long and kind of rant-ish)
    By Arrows Endure in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: Jun. 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
  4. Sick sick sick! :( (Sinus? Flu? Plaugue?)
    By Threebars in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2011, 08:34 PM
  5. Replies: 49
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2010, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness