The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Excuses for the OP who started a thread called "Sick of excuses..."? The irony, it hurts.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

8 members found this post helpful.

I am sad for you, OP. I wish you wouldn't judge the majority based on the actions of a few.

(20-something) Heinz
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, way to lump a whole generation. Past generations swept mental illness and such under the rug. Yes, younger generations are getting to be a bit more spoiled, though obviously not all. It's part of having all this technology and the idea that coddling and babying your children makes you a better parent (read: permissive).

The idea that folks of past generations didn't turn into criminals because of abuse/problems/mental health is CRAP. I work in the system, and there are a ton of these guys inside. Not as many, but most of them don't LIVE that long.

We need more support for people struggling with issues, and less judgement. Services need to be more available and those that get appropriate help are more often than not productive members of society. It's those undiagnosed and untreated.

And there are more than enough legitimately very sick mentally ill folks in jail for "crime".

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow, way to lump a whole generation. Past generations swept mental illness and such under the rug. Yes, younger generations are getting to be a bit more spoiled, though obviously not all. It's part of having all this technology and the idea that coddling and babying your children makes you a better parent (read: permissive).

The idea that folks of past generations didn't turn into criminals because of abuse/problems/mental health is CRAP. I work in the system, and there are a ton of these guys inside. Not as many, but most of them don't LIVE that long.

We need more support for people struggling with issues, and less judgement. Services need to be more available and those that get appropriate help are more often than not productive members of society. It's those undiagnosed and untreated.

And there are more than enough legitimately very sick mentally ill folks in jail for "crime".

Bottom line.....something IS changing in our country....be it social media, lack of empathy, etc.....(no one thing can be "blamed")

We NEED to be concerned about what is going on.....

I am a college teacher and the past 15 years the students are changing......many are less focused on doing well---they want to get by---and many don't care about our country and will do what they can to succeed...whatever means necessary. (so much more..)

Something is wrong, terribly wrong in our country. I'm dumbfounded by the killings in Ct. We should be angry and question everything!

The OP has a right to his/her opinion....why do people have to BASH OP for it?

Maybe this is some of the problem.....not respecting others thoughts and feelings.....

Makes my heart sad, carry on

noodles

8 members found this post helpful.

If we are blaming this generation... then my first question is what kind of generation raised this generation?

:-) Everyone is awesome and sucks in their own ways. Let's keep it real.

13 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it's a generational thing at all. I think it's the 24/7 news cycle that allows us to KNOW what is going on.

Bottom line, we have a lot of sick people out there--typically manifests in the 20's. What we need IMHO, is better education of the general public so that people can recognize instability and then easier methods of getting those people help. And if help means involuntary commitment for a time to be evaluated and treated, I'm all for that too.

We, the friends or family of a person who is ill, are almost as much to blame as the person him or herself who commits such heinous acts if we have done NOTHING to try to help them.

We can't keep cleaning up AFTERWARDS. These people in CT will need years of therapy. Maybe if this kid had gotten appropriate mental health care with appropriate oversight, we wouldn't be here today discussing this.

I apologize in advance. I just feel very adamantly that we need to do better identifying and addressing mental health problems that seem to lead to violence.

This stuff doesn't happen overnight.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

4 members found this post helpful.

Spook, I believe it's been determined the shooter in Columbine (at least one in any case) was a sociopath. A sadistic sociopath. But from what psychologists and profilers say, most mass murderers are actually extremely depressed, but in a way different from you and I might think of. They are angry depressives who blame others for their misfortune. They tend to be young white males and loners. But, not all angry young white male depressives commit mass murder. If only we could figure out why.

But to throw away an entire generation in your mistaken belief that 90% have mental health issues...where on earth do you get your numbers? I can't imagine how that many people you have contact with are on meds or disability unless you work in a disability office.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Now that I am no so upset over the needless killing of so many.......
    My post was simply a rant nothing more ......I was in tears over it when I posted it. I was looking at a pic of my daughters first day of school thinking my god what if............

There is a very big swing in how younger people view society. There is a bad lack of respect for themselves and the lives of others. Is it their fault? No I guess the blame lays with my generation for not setting a better standard as our parents set for us.

As for excuses .....There is positively NO excuse in this world I would except for the death of my child....a sickness well that was a higher powers doing.....to be killed by a person for no reason other then "mental issues" "anger Issues" "drug issues" or insert any excuses ya want.......NO I would never except that excuse.
    .....Would you?

SNL
    I clearly stated that this was nothing more then a rant of someone who was very upset over what had occurred. My goal was not to p** anyone off. And who are you to say my apology was not sincere? You dont know me in any way. I don't post things to upset people and that was not the intent. I apologized for p**ing some of you off......I meant it..........take or leave. So you have a nice day!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    The OP has a right to his/her opinion....why do people have to BASH OP for it?

Maybe this is some of the problem.....not respecting others thoughts and feelings.....

Makes my heart sad, carry on

noodles
    Maybe because the OP's "opinion" is that all 20 somethings are worthless, horrible people who are responsible for the actions of a sociopath.

I have no respect for someone who, in a "rant", is disrespectful of an entire subset of society.

And OP, I have a hard time considering your "apologies" sincere when they begin an end with hateful statements. You are a hateful person. I feel sorry for you and I am SO grateful that I don't know you.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

5 members found this post helpful.

Spook, it's clear that you were, and are, upset. As any parent or normal person would be. This is TRAGIC. But you are cussing and calling out an entire generation and being rather offensive. Your apologies don't sound like apologies at all.

I don't think anyone considers the things you mentioned to be excuses. See my signature. It might be a REASON but it's not an EXCUSE.

This is horrible stuff. But you are out of line. Let's be honest. You are. And we can just call it a rant, but that's a reason, not an excuse, for being crude and rude to an entire generation of people who, for the most part, are good citizens.

7 members found this post helpful.

Totally skipped reading this whole thread.... I'm 22 and IIIIIII can do anythingggggg, it's in a book, take a look......

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    I am so bloodily sick of the the 20 something generation using the excuse of " oh I cant do this or that because" insert whatever. I have never seen or read of a generation that has so much "mental illness". 90% of the 20 something I come into contact with are on meds or disability for something......really??!?!?!........WTF....... Meds for what?? "oh im bi polar" or "I have anger issues" omg whatever excuse. And I really love when they tell me "I dont have to get a job" cause I would lose my monthy check and "Id have to get up early"
    Translation: This is all the millennial generations' fault - they are worthless and full of excuses for everything.

Are all 20 somethings bad of course not however the vast majority I deal with are. Not bad as in Killer type but bad.
    Glad to hear that the "vast majority" of 20 somethings are bad.

I have apologized early if I offend anyone by my venting about what happened to 30 loved ones who will not make it for xmas. and a VENT is all this is take it at that.
    Yeah but, you aren't venting about the children that won't get to see Christmas. You're venting about how horrible the millennial generation is.

Because apparently you weren't reading right when I said at the time this was a rant because I was upset over what has taken place. Nor did I put alot of thought into it because I just needed to blow off steam. So damn me for it.
    Seriously, irony.

OMG...... We agree one thing.........Lack of respect for life............and the exusce used as to why they don't respect the lives of others..........
    And what's your excuse for your complete lack of respect?

You asked why I was offended, OP? All of the above. And now you're trying to excuse your behavior on "being upset" and "needing to vent" on a thread you entitled "Sick of excuses".

Most of your ranting has nothing to do with the shooting. It just seems like an excuse to vent your hatefulness. So, yeah, I'm offended.
    -George Morris

6 members found this post helpful.

SNL, this is a difficult time for everyone. I think everyone wants to point to something. I'm sorry that you've been so offended. I'm apologizing because I'm telling you that people who aren't 20 know that it's not just 20 somethings who do bad things.

Please don't let it get to you too much. You know this is a difficult time for everyone. It's very hard as a parent to see this stuff happen even when it's not your own kids and not get hateful. You want to KILL someone. HATE someone.

You want to. Because what else can you do? You try to keep them safe...and it just...fails. And time and again, it's a 20 something kid who pulls the trigger.

I guess it's easy to blame the age, the generation. But you and I both know that's not it. Let's try to focus on what it IS. Sick people.

I'm sorry you feel singled out. I'm sorry that the OP is so upset that she can't differentiate between a reason and an excuse.

But it's not a time to be hateful.

Best wishes.

BuddyRoo, you're awesome. Your step-daughters may not realize yet how lucky they are to have someone as kind and fair-minded as you for a step-mom, but they will someday.
    -George Morris

2 members found this post helpful.

SNL, that's kind of you. I doubt they'll EVER feel "lucky". I'm a bit of a hardass. LOL

But seriously...this is not a generation problem. It's a paying attention problem.

You young people (ha ha ha, I can't believe I'm SAYING THAT!) are not the issue. It's us....all of us. We have to take ACTION when we see something is wrong. I've LIVED IT and it's the truth. We have to take responsibility for our own.

Someone knew. I am adamant about that. Someone knew.

Mental illness is not a sign of weakness.... and being aware enough to say one has a mental illness does not negate that illness.
    The whole POINT of a diagnosis is for HELPING and preventing problems! Most certainly not to excuse violence.

This makes my heart hurt.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

7 members found this post helpful.

I would really like to know what you do that you come in contact with so many of us on a daily basis that are so horrible that you condemn us all. If you are that close to so many on a day to day basis then what are you doing to fix the problem? Until you're part of the solution, I believe you need to STFU.

The problem is not people who ARE on psych meds....it's the people with the mental disorders that AREN'T on proper meds that cause the problem. (I will preface this by saying I'm not directing this towards people who do vicious things like the CT shooting...rather just normal mental health issues.)
    Did you know you cannot control the chemicals in your brain? If you are bipolar or suffer from a mental illness...99% of the time, this is not something you could have prevented or fix. People with mental health issues are not a product of a failed generation. Science is simply finding answers for problems that have been around for hundreds of years. Wanna know why you never saw bipolar persons or one with significant mental issues? Because they were probably locked up in a state asylum.

I suffer, from PTSD, and related mild bipolar. I am consequently in therapy. You have no idea how many times I've heard "you don't need that therapy sh!t. Or why the hell do you need to take an antidepressant? Buck up, stop being a baby, you'll be fine. No, you won't be fine. I'm not fine. But I recognize that I have issues I need to work through and I am taking the steps necessary to make myself healthy. There aren't more mental health issues now then a hundred years ago...they're just diagnosed disorders now instead of ignored.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I think the question that we should be asking is "Why is this type of thing becoming so common?" Yes there were shootings in the past, but the gun control laws have not changed that much and if they have it is to become more restrictive.
    So why do we have the columbines, the VA Techs, etc? What is motivating this? Is there more coverage of it to make it seem like a good idea to someone? Yes there have always been horrible people, but this type of thing seems more common now. Weren't there bullies in the past? there was in my school. Weren't there bad parents and abused kids? What has changed to make this such a common occurance?
    I read an interesting article (and I cannot remember where; it's late, I work second shift, brain is fried) talking about how the current 'rising generation' becoming adults are the first to have a major percentage who've almost never not been medicated. Even ten years ago when I was in college, they were already jumping to give out anti-depressants. It took about a year for me to realize they weren't doing anything helpful and quit taking them. The point in the article was between Ritalin and SSRIs and other psychopharmaceuticals being prescribed to kids even in grade school, a significant percentage of kids are becoming adults never having really known a baseline normal brain chemistry, just a medicated one. They've never learned to handle natural, normal highs and lows and stresses because they've been given a scrip for them instead.

Not saying that's what happened here. Coverage is probably part of it--people dialed into the twenty-four hour news cycle get saturated with coverage of 'high-ratings' events, whether those events actually happened anywhere remotely connected to them. Things that aren't frequent seem to happen much more often than they do (same reason more people are scared of dying in a plane crash than a car accident--statistically, they're hundreds of times more likely to be killed driving to the grocery store, but plane crashes make for grisly news coverage and seem more likely and worse.) There are more mentally-unstable people who are living freely without close supervision who see these stories, so to a disturbed mind it might seem like a good idea.

Heck, the thing this particular case reminded me was a UK shooting where a man killed a bunch of young children. Gun laws don't get much more restrictive outside totalitarian regimes, yet he got a gun and famously shot up a kindergarten. So did it seem like some twisted way to make a statement the whole world would notice, to a mind diseased enough to think it was all right? Or did he think VT or that movie-theater guy (the last nut job to pull his big stunt on a slow news day) had the right idea but he'd get more attention with little kids? Since the coward shot himself (something to which I have no objection itself-you want to die, be my guest, just don't take anyone with you who doesn't want to go) we can't know.