The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I don't care if it was a rant.

The real problem in this world? Lack of respect for your fellow human beings.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

25 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Because apparently you weren't reading right when I said at the time this was a rant because I was upset over what has taken place. Nor did I put alot of thought into it because I just needed to blow off steam. So damn me for it.

And Youll see there will be some excuse for why the shooter did this just like Columbine, The thither and V.T. so that the shooter can gain some reason for what he did. Not maybe because he was simply a BAD person not crazy not insane just bad.

I wonder if the parents and spouses of those killed will be understanding of the shooters reason for needless killing their loved one. There is no excuse good enough for me as a parent.
    Yeah, OK...so you can come and "blow off steam" and say impulsive things and not expect to be held responsible for offending people because you are upset. See some irony here?

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    I don't care if it was a rant.

The real problem in this world? Lack of respect for your fellow human beings.
    OMG...... We agree one thing.........Lack of respect for life............and the exusce used as to why they don't respect the lives of others..........

4 members found this post helpful.

Seek some professional help, OP. Seriously.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

9 members found this post helpful.

Canaqha
    Not at all I have a great flame suit. Make no mistake my feelings are not hurt over replies I can appreciate them. And I harbor no annomocity toward anyone who differs. Though I really wasn't trying to pi&& people off I was just busting with wanting to vent and get it out of my head. Esp after seeing little kids playing after I heard about it. and thinking as a parent "what if" it was my daughter who didn't walk out of that class.

3 members found this post helpful.

and there are lots of 20 somethings enlisted by choice to serve their country.

The Dark Knight, as of 7/12, had earned:
    Although Warner Bros., did not officially release box office receipts, the film earned $160 million opening weekend. That was enough to make it the third highest opening weekend of all time and the best opening for a 2-D movie. The film is also doing well overseas. It has earned a total $374 million so far....This weekend the film should add another $81 million to its box office tally, according to Exhibitor Relations. That would represent a 49% drop from last weekend’s earnings which would be a smaller drop than The Dark Knight experienced in 2008 but a larger drop than Batman Begins had for its second weekend in theaters, according to Box Office Mojo.

Before the shooting in Colorado, there was a lot of talk about how The Dark Knight Rises was on track to earn $1 billion. This weekend will go a long way toward showing whether that can still happen. Many of the tickets sold last weekend were presales which means that even if people didn’t go to the theater, they had still paid for their tickets.

so, there's one dark and scary movie. $455,000,000 divided by $10 tickets....
    so 45,500,000 people saw that one movie. Multiply THAT by all the other madness and mayem online, in games,and in movies...then tell me again how we've decided that the media is the problem? Wouldn't the release of such a dark and scary movie send bad people out there in droves to murder droves of people?

Canaqha
    Not at all I have a great flame suit. Make no mistake my feelings are not hurt over replies I can appreciate them. And I harbor no annomocity toward anyone who differs. Though I really wasn't trying to pi&& people off I was just busting with wanting to vent and get it out of my head. Esp after seeing little kids playing after I heard about it. and thinking as a parent "what if" it was my daughter who didn't walk out of that class.
    You did not understand what I wrote, and I don't believe it was due to lack of clarity on my part.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    You did not understand what I wrote, and I don't believe it was due to lack of clarity on my part.
    making excuses for saying impulsive things because I was ranting over something that upset me? No excuses I was what I said in a moment of anger about what happened and stated what I stated.It offended people.....That wasn't the intent and I apoglozed a couple of times for that.

5 members found this post helpful.

And Youll see there will be some excuse for why the shooter did this just like Columbine, The thither and V.T. so that the shooter can gain some reason for what he did. Not maybe because he was simply a BAD person not crazy not insane just bad.
    Because this world is based on science, and in science "bad" doesn't exist. There is no "evil." Anyone who is outside the norm is outside the norm for a REASON. You are confused by what "explanation" means vs "excuse." Nobody is excusing the killer. Nobody is excusing any killer. But there's a reason for their actions, and that's not just "the devil took him."

The more we focus on WHY people are doing these things, and WHAT the triggers are, the less they will happen.

19 members found this post helpful.

making excuses for saying impulsive things because I was ranting over something that upset me? No excuses I was what I said in a moment of anger about what happened and stated what I stated.It offended people.....That wasn't the intent and I apoglozed a couple of times for that.
    You didn't intend to offend anyone when you said that all 20-somethings are horrible and the whole generation is to blame for the collapse of society (I'm paraphrasing)? Sure, whatever.

In which post, exactly, did you apologize "a couple times"?
    -George Morris

8 members found this post helpful.

This is not an entirely recent problem. In the 1950's, some man brought a suitcase bomb to the playground at my mom's elemtary school. Yes, it's a much bigger problem now than it was 20+ years ago, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it's all this generation's fault.

I don't think I had utilized the thumbs-down feature until I read this thread.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not a health professional, nor do I play one on TV.

I think the reason that you see acts like this being committed by late teenagers/early to mid-twenties aged people is because that's when some of the more psychotic mental disorders start to manifest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember from an abnormal psych class that disorders like schizophrenia typically do not show symptoms until around 18-20.

I don't think it's the generation that's the problem, but then again, I'm one of those people who thinks that there is rarely one cause that can be pinpointed as the exact reason for something happening.

16 members found this post helpful.

You know you're old when you find yourself having your first,
    "When I was your age I walked up hill both ways to school in the snow, and we didn't have any shoes, and we were grateful".

Recognize it, have a laugh and remember "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof".

Paula
    Last edited by paulaedwina; Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

I do think that the dude could have been just as crazy, untreated or whatever and done less damage without access to guns. I think the same has happened in earlier times/places, without such a high death toll. And that happened without everyone knowing about every last tragedy.

But, OP, if you do with to hate an entire generation, may I suggest that you not get to overworked about it? After all, these people will enjoy a declining standard of living in comparison to previous ones... no matter what they do right. No need to heap criticism on top of that punishment.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember from an abnormal psych class that disorders like schizophrenia typically do not show symptoms until around 18-20.
    I remember this as well.

I think it's also worth noting that public awareness of mental illnesses is greater than it used to be, and to some degree medical understanding of these illnesses (or at least focus on these illnesses) is greater than it was many years back. I don't think people in their 20s are *necessarily* any more afflicted than they have been in other generations, but their afflictions are more likely to be diagnosed and given a name.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily good to be quick to jump from a single horrific act, most likely related to one person's illness, to young people with mental illnesses overall. Mental illnesses come in many types and many degrees of severity, and many people who suffer from them have no violent tendencies whatsoever.

But it is a horrible, senseless and terrifying act that that person committed, and I understand your anger completely.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post

I think the reason that you see acts like this being committed by late teenagers/early to mid-twenties aged people is because that's when some of the more psychotic mental disorders start to manifest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember from an abnormal psych class that disorders like schizophrenia typically do not show symptoms until around 18-20.
    I agree. Also, it should be noted that we have many more technological advances than we did way back when. It's not that there are more crazies out there; just that they have more ways at their disposal to express their craziness. Not to mention, the population has been growing at an exponential rate, so there are bound to be more numbers of said crazies than before.

8 members found this post helpful.

Spook, you have no concept of mental illness and the way the mentally ill are treated in this country. The whole system is a joke. I would get up on my soapbox and tell y'all what I think of the mental health system but I'm tired and my kid wants on the computer and I haven't fed the outside dogs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    You didn't intend to offend anyone when you said that all 20-somethings are horrible and the whole generation is to blame for the collapse of society (I'm paraphrasing)? Sure, whatever.

In which post, exactly, did you apologize "a couple times"?
    In post #4 and #12

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    In post #4 and #12
    I'm not sure if apologies immediately preceded by and followed by continuous rantings about the failures of 20-somethings really count. Sounds a little like "Sorry, not sorry" to me. But hey, maybe OP was being sincere...
    -George Morris

I think she's just emotional and freaked out by what happened today and ran her mouth out ahead of herself. I could be wrong but flipping out about today's events is excusable in my book.