The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Sick of the excuses...............rant

This is a rant......

I am so bloodily sick of the the 20 something generation using the excuse of " oh I cant do this or that because" insert whatever. I have never seen or read of a generation that has so much "mental illness". 90% of the 20 something I come into contact with are on meds or disability for something......really??!?!?!........WTF....... Meds for what?? "oh im bi polar" or "I have anger issues" omg whatever excuse. And I really love when they tell me "I dont have to get a job" cause I would lose my monthy check and "Id have to get up early"

People ...there are people who have been abused in heinous ways and they never grow up to kill anyone and have become good people. This Shooter was not crazy..crazy is spur of the moment.......this guy had a ton of time to think about his actions. Even IF he was "insane" at the moment he killed his mom.......he Thought about driving to the school.......killing kids AND re-load his guns!!!

And he was NOT a criminal (to my knowledge) at this point. So how do you detect this kind of person??

God this was senseless.

Rant over..thank you

19 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure nobody from your generation was ever mentally ill, or did anything bad. Jesus. Must be nice to come from a perfect generation. The world has changed a lot, perhaps that has more to do with it than the fact that your "perfect generation" is apparently breeding a whole race of bratty evil spawn children.

29 members found this post helpful.

I am as angry as the OP. I'm sure everyone is frustrated and furious.

I think her rant is justified in terms of targeting a younger generation, simply because there seems to be more and more of this type of thing going on lately.

Obviously this doesn't mean that "all people under the age of _____ are evil, bratty, spoiled, entitled, excuse-making malcontents who use mental illness as a reason for violent, anti-social behavior."

IOW, these horrific tragedies were pretty unusual back in the day--though there were some infamous spree killers; there are always going to be "monsters among us."

It wasn't anywhere NEAR this frequent, though, and the perpetrators were generally a little older.

WHY is this happening? I think this is the question on everyone's mind...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I'm sure nobody from your generation was ever mentally ill, or did anything bad. Jesus. Must be nice to come from a perfect generation. The world has changed a lot, perhaps that has more to do with it than the fact that your "perfect generation" is apparently breeding a whole race of bratty evil spawn children.
    No not perfect and I am not that old I also have a 20 something child that I had at age 15........somehow I managed to not go go crazy because "oh wahs is me" my life sucked for a long while......with very little family support (or a BF or child support or pubilic aid. And I managed to get my GED get into college work sometimes two jobs and had a small child. Did I make great choices and always the right choice.........Hell no but damn it I knew right from wrong. But none of this is the point.

I dont know what you do for a living But I have seen very bad things people do to people and sometimes you JUST want to rant because 30 very innocent people were killed. So If I offended you.............I sincerely apologize to you

11 members found this post helpful.

OP I think you're confusing the legal definition of insanity with mental illness. They're not the same thing. Not at all.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

15 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Too bad I'd get banned for telling the OP where to shove it.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

28 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Wow. Too bad I'd get banned for telling the OP where to shove it.
    I don't care what the police say about you, you're okay in my book.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

14 members found this post helpful.

Ahh, a "kids these days" kind of rant.

You sort of answered your own question in your rant. "How do we detect this kind of person?" - well, usually mental health professionals are the first to detect whether or not someone is a danger to himself or society (aside from police).

The 90% of people you meet who are ON DRUGS for bipolar disorder/depression etc. have obviously seen mental health professionals who have prescribed the psychotropic drugs, and in the process, likely assessed whether these kids (to me, 20-somethings are kids) present imminent dangers to themselves or society.

It's the kids who DON'T get assessed, or they do but stop taking their meds, or have a crap support system (and I'm sure there are many other factors), who are the ones to worry about.

Your rant rings a bit hollow and sheltered. In the old days, there were no alcoholics/people with mental problems. Instead, there were people "who drank too much." Semantics. OBVIOUSLY there were alcoholics back then! I have a 150 year history of that in my family (lucky us). It just wasn't spoken about in the same manner. The very real damage of an addict/alcoholic on their families was exactly the same then, that it is now. Check out Michael Lesy's book Bearing Witness, it has lots of news articles from the 1870s-90s. There was plenty of mental illness back then. (most often treated by institutionalizing, so it wasn't as in-your-face back then)

The mass murder thing is modern - was the Texas bell tower murderer the first mass murderer here?

I think the 24/7 news cycle and the glamorization of these acts (to a twisted mind) play a heavy heavy influence on someone who is already mentally unstable.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    I am as angry as the OP. I'm sure everyone is frustrated and furious.

I think her rant is justified in terms of targeting a younger generation, simply because there seems to be more and more of this type of thing going on lately.

Obviously this doesn't mean that "all people under the age of _____ are evil, bratty, spoiled, entitled, excuse-making malcontents who use mental illness as a reason for violent, anti-social behavior."

IOW, these horrific tragedies were pretty unusual back in the day--though there were some infamous spree killers; there are always going to be "monsters among us."

It wasn't anywhere NEAR this frequent, though, and the perpetrators were generally a little older.

WHY is this happening? I think this is the question on everyone's mind...
    Because the world is different than it was 20 years ago! I am not whining (I am a recent grad doing quite well for myself through my own hard work, I do not feel bad for myself) or providing excuses, I am just stating facts. The world is different. Violence is the norm, and accepted, and people have become dulled to it. America's stress levels, for ALL AGE RANGES, are higher than ever. Excessive stress can be the trigger for a yet-to-emerge mental illness...and as stated REPEATEDLY in other threads, the early twenties is when most mental illnesses start to appear and develop, as the brain chemistry changes with age. People feel desperate, and hopeless, and our society does not have the support system in place. Gun laws (or the lack thereof) are ridiculous, providing easy access to weapons that can hurt and kill huge amounts of people in a short amount of time.

There are plenty of issues that make today so much different than 20 years ago.

4 members found this post helpful.

Two words: Zelda Fitzgerald.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    OP I think you're confusing the legal definition of insanity with mental illness. They're not the same thing. Not at all.
    yes you would be correct.....bit when you deal with people who clearly are not dumb who understand right from wrong but use the excuse of "i have mental issues" tells me they are playing the system.

Are all 20 somethings bad of course not however the vast majority I deal with are. Not bad as in Killer type but bad.

Today after the news came out I felt the need to go up to the school in the area I work. There was a little kid who was goofing off with a friend as they were getting on the bus they were so happy. It hit me hard that the kids killed today were just like him and his buddy.

This was senseless anyway or any excuse you want to find for the shooter. And I bet if it was your child who didnt walk out of that school you'd feel differently.

Ill say again this was a rant because it affected me. On my job this is the one signle thing that totally scares me. Not the Burglaries not the Batteries and the thefts..it;s the thought of a school shooting in our quite little town.

I have apologized early if I offend anyone by my venting about what happened to 30 loved ones who will not make it for xmas. and a VENT is all this is take it at that.

SNL I believe my PM box works if you really feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    This is a rant......

I am so bloodily sick of the the 20 something generation using the excuse of " oh I cant do this or that because" insert whatever. I have never seen or read of a generation that has so much "mental illness". 90% of the 20 something I come into contact with are on meds or disability for something......really??!?!?!........WTF....... Meds for what?? "oh im bi polar" or "I have anger issues" omg whatever excuse. And I really love when they tell me "I dont have to get a job" cause I would lose my monthy check and "Id have to get up early"

People ...there are people who have been abused in heinous ways and they never grow up to kill anyone and have become good people. This Shooter was not crazy..crazy is spur of the moment.......this guy had a ton of time to think about his actions. Even IF he was "insane" at the moment he killed his mom.......he Thought about driving to the school.......killing kids AND re-load his guns!!!

And he was NOT a criminal (to my knowledge) at this point. So how do you detect this kind of person??

God this was senseless.

Rant over..thank you
    Wow...talk about naive and sheltered and talking "smart" with nothing to back it up.

You have no idea what "crazy" is, you know nothing about mental illness.

Yes, this tragedy was senseless, that's about all I will agree with you on.
    I am close to an early 20s male I care deeply about, who suffers from mental illness. Scariest time in my life, it is VERY real. Getting him help against his will was the single hardest thing I've ever done in my life...you want to talk "tough love" like it is as simple as saying "no" once and a while...you have NO idea.

18 members found this post helpful.

I am not defending the OP, for sure there are crazies in every generation and the instant news coverage, and up to the second updates brings horrible acts like this into our living rooms.

Internet, camera phones, instant updating etc brings everything new worthy into our laps.

Sure sh*t happened in every generation, we are just more subject to hearing about every little detail now due to how we now live and access the news.

Yeah, I wouldn't say what I would like to say to anybody, not even via PM.

I'm sorry you feel like my ENTIRE GENERATION is bad and is to blame for the senseless acts of a mad man.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    I'll take one for the team...

OP: As a 28 yr old white male who owns guns...blow me. In the past year I went from a pretty cushy job, to starting my own business. Yeah, there are some idiots in our generation, there are idiots in EVERY generation, yours as well.
    Its not about having guns!!!!!!! Have all the firearms you want..I have about 8 myself. I have NEVER ever seen a gun jump up load itself and kill anyone all by itself without a person pulling the trigger.. Its about the excuses that there will be for the shooter. To somehow make it more acceptable as to why he killed 30 people.

SNL........Im tough........

1 members found this post helpful.

No, apparently it's about how worthless all 20-somethings are.

If it was about the shooter, why do you continue to condemn an entire generation.

ETA - You may be tough, but I have more respect for other people than that.
    -George Morris

6 members found this post helpful.

I think the question that we should be asking is "Why is this type of thing becoming so common?" Yes there were shootings in the past, but the gun control laws have not changed that much and if they have it is to become more restrictive.
    So why do we have the columbines, the VA Techs, etc? What is motivating this? Is there more coverage of it to make it seem like a good idea to someone? Yes there have always been horrible people, but this type of thing seems more common now. Weren't there bullies in the past? there was in my school. Weren't there bad parents and abused kids? What has changed to make this such a common occurance?

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Its not about having guns!!!!!!! Have all the firearms you want..I have about 8 myself. I have NEVER ever seen a gun jump up load itself and kill anyone all by itself without a person pulling the trigger.. Its about the excuses that there will be for the shooter. To somehow make it more acceptable as to why he killed 30 people.
    He's a psycho, what more excuse is there? Obviously something was well beyond broken in his brain. No sane person would or could, do what he did. There is no excuse, none, other than that he's a nut job.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    No, apparently it's about how worthless all 20-somethings are.

If it was about the shooter, why do you continue to condemn an entire generation.

ETA - You may be tough, but I have more respect for other people than that.

Because apparently you weren't reading right when I said at the time this was a rant because I was upset over what has taken place. Nor did I put alot of thought into it because I just needed to blow off steam. So damn me for it.

And Youll see there will be some excuse for why the shooter did this just like Columbine, The thither and V.T. so that the shooter can gain some reason for what he did. Not maybe because he was simply a BAD person not crazy not insane just bad.

I wonder if the parents and spouses of those killed will be understanding of the shooters reason for needless killing their loved one. There is no excuse good enough for me as a parent.

3 members found this post helpful.