The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wierd Things People With Kids Say...

I realized today I have heard lots of people say some version of this..

Version 1) neighbor who had, at the time, three kids in diapers AND nursing at the same time - I am cleaning a stall. Her: "ohhh yuck, do you have to do that every day?". Me: " do you change their diapers and nurse them all day?"

Version 2) friend with three kids, understandably messy car, house, life. Her: "we dont want a dog, they are so messy and tie you down" Me: "Really? Never had a problem getting a dog sitter, baby sitter, not so much!"

It has occurred to me that people actually think that children are easier to care for than animals! Where is the fruitbat? I have kids and a farm and the animals are soooo much easier to train and manage than human children

Are these people mad?!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I

It has occurred to me that people actually think that [B][I]children are easier to care for than animals![B]
    Well actually they are correct. My kids grew up and left to start their own lives while their now aged horses are still here looking at me to feed and care for them

9 members found this post helpful.

The care *may* last longer but the lifespan of an animal is significantly shorter than that of humans..

I pray to Dog almost every day tho' that Nanny is still alive long after LMEqT goes to college.. If LMEqT were to be a youngish mother, her kids could at least sit on Nanny and for sure, Beignet.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Yeah, I never understood that when parents would say they felt it wouldn't be fair to get a dog because they both worked. Er, what about the kid?

8 members found this post helpful.

Ha Ha- DH and I were just debating if we were up for getting a pet fish for our daughter. Dogs and kids are just way more portable. The horse is boarded so if we go camping for a weekend the fish is now the one we need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    Ha Ha- DH and I were just debating if we were up for getting a pet fish for our daughter. Dogs and kids are just way more portable. The horse is boarded so if we go camping for a weekend the fish is now the one we need to worry about.
    It is always something!
    ---

Hahaha. I was at a dinner last night with two well-educated, top college grads. The mom asked me if horses eat any meat. Said she never realized they were herbivores.

WTF? !?!?!?!?! Not that this has anything to do with being a parent. Just with being clueless.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    well, at least it's socially acceptable to leave fish alone for a week (they make automatic feeders....) less so for fur pets but try that with a kid! I usually get/got the 'you got dogs inside?' question with wide eyed disbelieve... Yes, I say, because I have to let my kid and husband in, too, and the pets are not half the trouble....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

3 members found this post helpful.

I know. My mom goes on and on about how difficult my dogs are, but so far they haven't broken any windows, destroyed any carpets, nearly lit the house on fire, leave crap all over my counter by making food in the middle of the night, take dishes to their rooms and not return them, have the school calling constantly, climbing in the window to retrieve something from their brother's room and breaking the latch...

No, my children are destroying my house and things. I have a "hope chest" of things that I want in my new house when they are gone...things I don't use now because they would last about two seconds. Little kids are way easier than older ones, too! I've got 3 boys...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Hahaha. I was at a dinner last night with two well-educated, top college grads. The mom asked me if horses eat any meat. Said she never realized they were herbivores.

WTF? !?!?!?!?! Not that this has anything to do with being a parent. Just with being clueless.
    That's ok - a friend asked me last night (after I told him that I'd spent the morning tracking coyotes out back of the barn) if they were carnivores????

I thought he was joking, but nope...

I had a lesson student ask that one day. I shouldn't have fallen over laughing, but I did. When I recovered my composure enough to stop giggling, I asked him what he thought they ate? He said "bunnies, squirrels..."

The mental image of a horse trying to capture a squirrel to eat it made me laugh so hard I had to end the lesson right then and there. Luckily it was at the end anyway so I could run to the bathroom and not wet my pants!!

7 members found this post helpful.

People say stupid things sometimes.

I went to look at a broodmare this summer. The woman peered into my car to look at my twin babies.

"Did you do that ON PURPOSE???" she asked.

I'm in my 40s, so, yeah, I did that on purpose. But really, at what age is it ever appropriate for such a question to be asked?
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

5 members found this post helpful.

Whenever parent people say something about how much care an animal requires I just say "Yeah, well at least I can legally lock them in a cage/stall and tell them to shut up."
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

7 members found this post helpful.

I get annoyed when *certain* family members give me the old "you are making a big mistake not having kids, who is going to take care of you when you get old, not your animals, blah blah blah".

Yes granny, I made peace with that a long time ago or I would have popped a few end-of-life caregivers out of my uterus by now. Because obviously that's the only thing that matters when one is making the life-altering decision on whether to become a parent or not.

4 members found this post helpful.

Dear Lordy, could you imagine a 1000 lb, nervous, fight or flight animal we like to sit on also thinking we're viable meal options?

I went to look at a broodmare this summer. The woman peered into my car to look at my twin babies.

Did she mean have children or that you chose to have twins?

Maybe she meant make them so cute?

People in general do ask some really silly stuff. My husband...whom I adore...does sometimes ask, "Can you make her come closer?" And he means the deer that wander through our yard.

Sure sweetie...let me just practice my Natural Deermanship.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I get annoyed when *certain* family members give me the old "you are making a big mistake not having kids, who is going to take care of you when you get old, not your animals, blah blah blah".

Yes granny, I made peace with that a long time ago or I would have popped a few end-of-life caregivers out of my uterus by now. Because obviously that's the only thing that matters when one is making the life-altering decision on whether to become a parent or not.
    Gaited, someone needs to tell those people, just becuase you have kids you are not guarenteed they will look after you in your old age. Geesh theres no rule that says kids must do their duty, many don't.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post

My husband is the super responsible type and has cared for both his parents on a level that few people would. His brother, who packed up and left at age 18, had agreed to take some responsibility in it but then he died young and my husband has literally never forgiven him.

He often grouses to me about it being a thankless job (it SURE is!) and once he let it slip at his dingbat mother in a moment of frustration and that selfish old hag had the nerve to say "well that's why I had you. So you can take care of these things". He was crushed.

I assure you, I've noted during my many hours of nursing home visits, having children in NO way guarantees you caregivers in your old age. The number of elderly warehoused and abandoned by their families is heartbreaking.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I know. My mom goes on and on about how difficult my dogs are, but so far they haven't broken any windows, destroyed any carpets, nearly lit the house on fire, leave crap all over my counter by making food in the middle of the night, take dishes to their rooms and not return them, have the school calling constantly, climbing in the window to retrieve something from their brother's room and breaking the latch... No, my children are destroying my house and things. I have a "hope chest" of things that I want in my new house when they are gone...things I don't use now because they would last about two seconds. Little kids are way easier than older ones, too! I've got 3 boys...
    Is that Hope Chest, meaning you hope you get to use it some time in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    People say stupid things sometimes.

I'm in my 40s, so, yeah, I did that on purpose. But really, at what age is it ever appropriate for such a question to be asked?
    My sister has 5 children and it REALLY bothered her when people would make comments such as that. It took several years for her to come up with a civil answer. "Well, my sister refused to have any, so I had to have my 2.5 AND her 2.5" Then, of course, she wanted to know which 2.5 were mine and when I was going to start contributing toward them.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    My sister has 5 children and it REALLY bothered her when people would make comments such as that. It took several years for her to come up with a civil answer. "Well, my sister refused to have any, so I had to have my 2.5 AND her 2.5" Then, of course, she wanted to know which 2.5 were mine and when I was going to start contributing toward them.
    I like that answer!

MistyBlue, I like that answer, too!

There was pure horror in her voice and expression, enough to give me a good laugh and a good story. I had the presence of mind to just say "yeah," as opposed to telling her the truth, which would have been: "After being told I couldn't have children by two different doctors, enduring two surgeries, countless procedures, an untold number of ultrasounds, and injecting myself multiple times a day for many, many weeks -- not to mention the emotional roller coaster ride -- yes, I'd say I did that on purpose."
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook