The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Sitting Over the Holidays and Typical Cost?

I'm located in a big city in North Carolina and am potentially going to be horse sitting for someone for two weeks at the end of the month.

I've not talked specifics with her yet but I wanted to at least get a feel of what the standard fees might be.

It would appear the horse is in full board so basically all I would be doing is coming out to groom and ride her horse.

The farm is about 25 miles from where I live and will take me 45 minutes to get there.

If I could get a breakdown on fees that would be fantastic. Possibly for if I have to feed morning and evening, for the times I ride, and then if I'm just going out to check on the horse.

Also, should we both sign something?

Thanks!

ETA: I've found out the horse is on full board and all I'd be responsible for is coming out twice weekly so four times total to ride. Therefore, what should I charge per ride?

I am still interested in the other information as I get asked frequently but never know what to charge.
    Last edited by jjgg24; Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Default Are you a pro?

If you get paid to ride her horse you will be considered a professional rider, so keep that in mind if you plan on competeing as an amateur. If you are not a pro, $25 per session is probably the highest price people will pay, maybe add mileage.

I pay $20 per visit, 2 daily visits, for my barn-sitter. I live semi-close to where she works but it's probably a 15 mile drive if she comes from home. The horses live outside so no stalls to clean (unless one is on stall rest), no buckets (auto-waterer), and only one of them eats grain. She makes sure everybody is OK (MOST valuable thing), feeds hay, grain, sometimes puts them out to grass, picks up poops in the dirt paddock, feeds the dog, cats, and chickens. Those chores take me less than 30 minutes a day if I hop to it.

I think it's a fair wage, and I try to remember birthdays and Christmas and am happy to loan or donate tack to my very devoted barn sitter. She is worth her weight in gold!
    Click here before you buy.

I think I would say thank you very much for the opportunity to have a few rides while you are away. Unless you are a pro and are going to improve the horse in some way with your rides I would not be looking at fees. Perhaps some gas money.

I think $20-25 a ride would be reasonable. $25 because it is a fair distance. I would consider grooming as part of the riding.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

No I'm not a professional rider by trade but a solid intermediate to advance rider. The person in question is not looking for a professional but just more so someone to exercise her horse over the holidays. I figured $20-$25 per trip out but wanted to check.

Should we put anything in writing?

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    I think I would say thank you very much for the opportunity to have a few rides while you are away. Unless you are a pro and are going to improve the horse in some way with your rides I would not be looking at fees. Perhaps some gas money.
    I'm a little confused as to why because I'm not a professional rider full time that she shouldn't compensate me for coming out to exercise her horse? The person in question is not looking for a professional or someone to improve her horse while she is away but just someone to keep the horse exercised.

I guess those of us who would have killed for the opportunity at certain points in our lives are saying be grateful for the opportunity and never mind the compensation. If that's not where you are, carry on.

If I'm paying someone to ride my horse, I'm paying my trainer. Everyone else--it's MY gift to THEM and no money changes hands. My horses are fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I guess those of us who would have killed for the opportunity at certain points in our lives are saying be grateful for the opportunity and never mind the compensation. If that's not where you are, carry on.

If I'm paying someone to ride my horse, I'm paying my trainer. Everyone else--it's MY gift to THEM and no money changes hands. My horses are fun to ride.
    No I understand however I'm not friends with the person in question but someone recommended the person to me to get in contact with.

It would appear the horse isn't in any kind of formal training and merely wants someone to exercise the horse and check in over two weeks.

At some point earlier in life I'd probably done it for free. However, between my own horses and other life obligations if I'm going to spend time going out of my way to check on and/or ride someone else's horse that I don't know I do need to some sort of compensation mainly just to cover the gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    I'm a little confused as to why because I'm not a professional rider full time that she shouldn't compensate me for coming out to exercise her horse? The person in question is not looking for a professional or someone to improve her horse while she is away but just someone to keep the horse exercised.
    I agree with this. I do this all of the time. Your are just providing her horse exercise while she is gone. You don't need to be a pro....I charge $25 to ride/groom. I would consider how much you are going to be paying in gas and time to go. If its 25 miles and your most likely going to pay $6-8 in gas to go. You will also be spending 1 1/2 hours driving there, and probably 1.5-2hrs at the barn riding and grooming. I personally wouldn't do it unless you really want to ride the horse for fun. Break it down. 25-6(for gas)=19/3hours=6.33hour. So you are only making 19 dollars a day because of gas. If you want to make $80 for two weeks thats great but I would charge her $25 because of your time and travel. Make sure you wipe down her tack when you are done also.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    I agree with this. I do this all of the time. Your are just providing her horse exercise while she is gone. You don't need to be a pro....I charge $25 to ride/groom. I would consider how much you are going to be paying in gas and time to go. If its 25 miles and your most likely going to pay $6-8 in gas to go. You will also be spending 1 1/2 hours driving there, and probably 1.5-2hrs at the barn riding and grooming. I personally wouldn't do it unless you really want to ride the horse for fun. Break it down. 25-6(for gas)=19/3hours=6.33hour. So you are only making 19 dollars a day because of gas. If you want to make $80 for two weeks thats great but I would charge her $25 because of your time and travel. Make sure you wipe down her tack when you are done also.
    Thanks for the feedback! Do you ever get the agreement in writing or just go on word of mouth?

Like I said I don't know this person so I just want to make sure my bases are covered.

I guess I'd want to meet the owner and ride the horse first, then discuss terms face to face. That comes from the standpoint of a horse owner AND putting myself in the shoes of a potential rider.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I guess I'd want to meet the owner and ride the horse first, then discuss terms face to face. That comes from the standpoint of a horse owner AND putting myself in the shoes of a potential rider.
    We definitely plan to but I wanted to be prepared so I knew roughly what is standard.

If you take money for riding a horse then you are a pro....at least you are if you intend to show as an ammie. If you don't plan to show then go for it. As an owner I am more than happy to pay to have someone look after my horses but not to ride them. Can't see paying anyone to ride my horses unless they are a pro trainer that will benefit my horses. Otherwise they can have their turnout and lose some condition when I travel. I didn't mean anything in a rude way but truely taking money for riding puts you in a whole other place in terms of a rider but only if you intend to show as a ammie. Otherwise it has no impact....if someone is willing to pay you for riding on top of full care that is their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    If you take money for riding a horse then you are a pro....at least you are if you intend to show as an ammie. If you don't plan to show then go for it. As an owner I am more than happy to pay to have someone look after my horses but not to ride them. Can't see paying anyone to ride my horses unless they are a pro trainer that will benefit my horses. Otherwise they can have their turnout and lose some condition when I travel. I didn't mean anything in a rude way but truely taking money for riding puts you in a whole other place in terms of a rider but only if you intend to show as a ammie. Otherwise it has no impact....if someone is willing to pay you for riding on top of full care that is their business.
    I didn't think you were being rude I merely just wanted to know why you felt the way you did. I guess she doesn't want her horse to lose any condition. Thank you for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Do you ever get the agreement in writing or just go on word of mouth?

Like I said I don't know this person so I just want to make sure my bases are covered.
    I have never done this with people I don't know. I would probably get some sort of agreement. Maybe also take a picture of the horse every day that you are there so that he knows you actually were there and didn't just say you were.

I'd never call myself a pro in a million years but I do ride quite a few horses for money, however their not show horses, usually just green beans, or naughty horses and the "old ladies" as they call themselves want me on them when they pull something unpredictable because I stay on lol (unless I get dumped in the river ) Honestly I have fun and would ride for free because I just love riding but I'm young and broke and it all helps. That being said I get paid between $15-$20 a ride, house sitting is a whole other story. When talking about how much I should get paid I usually leave it up to them.

oh and I do txt pictures and updates on everyone

1 members found this post helpful.