The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    My favorite book so far this year has been The Night Circus.
    How could I have forgotten about that one?! It was wonderful!

1 members found this post helpful.

ANY of Rita Mae Brown's hunting series!

Any of Nelson DeMille

NF scare-you-out-of-your-skin (if you care about food, health, environment) "The World According to Monsanto"

Kindles are addicting - I always loved reading - I'm reading more, faster - MUCH more NF than I EVER did before....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    ANY of Rita Mae Brown's hunting series!

Any of Nelson DeMille

NF scare-you-out-of-your-skin (if you care about food, health, environment) "The World According to Monsanto"

Kindles are addicting - I always loved reading - I'm reading more, faster - MUCH more NF than I EVER did before....
    I went crazy downloading books to my kindle before going to Africa because I was worried the whispernet thing wouldn't work there. Turned out it was fine, but I'm still catching up over a year later! Kindles ARE addicting - I'm obsessed with mine & really don't know what I would've done without it abroad. Books are expensive outside the US.

Definitely need to check out Rita Mae Brown. Thanks for that reminder!

I read a lot of NF too so would love to hear more suggestions on that...I started a thread awhile ago (pre Africa) and got TONS of awesome suggestions but I've read most of those now!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I read a lot of NF too so would love to hear more suggestions on that...I started a thread awhile ago (pre Africa) and got TONS of awesome suggestions but I've read most of those now!
    Lawrence Anthony's book "The Elephant Whisperer" was great. I also liked Alexandra Fuller's memoirs "Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness".

Other NF that I enjoyed this year were "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot and "Half the Sky" by Nicholas Kristoff.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, read it very quickly, and Arrggghhh, the ending....!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Lawrence Anthony's book "The Elephant Whisperer" was great. I also liked Alexandra Fuller's memoirs "Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness".

Other NF that I enjoyed this year were "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot and "Half the Sky" by Nicholas Kristoff.
    I LOVE Alexandra Fuller's books, so if you know of any others in that vein, please pass them along!

I need to read Henrietta Lacks - my sister had to write a paper on it for her nursing class so I've heard all about it as my parents (Drs) were helping her edit it.

Will try the Elephant Whisperer - thats come up on my "related books" a few times, I believe I have it on my wish list.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I have 15 pages to go in Admiral Horatio Nelson's Biography, "The Sword of Albion" and even after over 1,000 pages, I don't want it to end. His life was amazing. Now I am looking for something fun, smart, funny and horsey, so keep the suggestions coming.

Simkie, I also loved The Night Circus. We got stuck in a 40 mile traffic jam on our way to the James Taylor concert last summer. It would have been a three hour nightmare, but we had The Night Circus on tape in the car.

I'm usually not into NF but 2 books that I really enjoyed this years were Henrietta Lacks and Unbroken. I didn't think I would like Unbroken, (even tho I loved Seabiscuit), but...what a story. Totally engrossing.

Other enjoyable reads were Night Circus, Sharon Kay Penman books (especially her Welsh trilogy), The Dove Keepers...

And yes the Kindle is addicting and dangerous since I have the "one click" buying feature...I've decided to only load it up when I'm traveling. The rest of the time, I hit my local library.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Did anyone mention Terry Pratchett's Hogwatch, which is definitely set in the Christmas season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post

Fuller's & Skloot's were AMAZING! Loved them both.

What Remains - Carole Radziwill
    On Hallowed Ground (Arlington) - Robert M Poole
    Midnight in Peking - Paul French
    The Hidden Legacy of WWII - Carol Schultz Vento
    Renegade Champion - The Unlikely Rise of Fitzrada - Richard Rust
    Then They Came for Me - Maziar Bahari
    The Forgotten 500 - Gregory Freeman
    The Rat that Got Away - Allen Jones
    The Day Wall Street Exploded - Beverly Gage
    Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure - Matthew Algeo
    While the World Watched - Caroline Maull McKinstry
    Tough as Nails - Gail O'Sullivan Dwyer

That should keep you for a bit... :-)

C
    www.ayliprod.com

Oh -
    Unbroken... - Laura Hillenbrand

and
    Mornings in Jenin (fiction) - Susan Abulhawa
    www.ayliprod.com

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Killing Lincoln" in the NF category...Liked it quite a bit even though I must confess I picked it up somewhat reluctantly.

Love all of Vince Flynn's books....like Tom Clancy only you don't need a pen and paper to keep up with all the characters.

But top of my list actually is the NF book "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Nobel prize winning economist Daniel Kahneman. Really really interesting book about how the brain works and why we make the judgements that we do. I find myself remembering little passages from it and saying "ahhhhh ha!"

In a similar, but less dense vein, I recommend "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. Yes, I know he has been under fire for not crediting others' research properly, but the takeaways from the book are truly eye-opening.

I really enjoyed The Scorpio Races (which a COTHer recommended) in fiction. And the Erin Hart "Irish" series False Mermaid, Lake of Sorrows and Haunted Ground.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Oh, I loved The Scorpio Races. In the fantasy department, I also read this year and loved Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown, The Blue Sword, and Sunshine.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

The Art of Racing in the Rain is a good one. (dog related--but really well done)

I just read "A Dog's Purpose" last week and I will warn you, grab your tissues. The dog in this story is reincarnated several times so every few chapters you need tissues. But it was an interesting read.

If you like non fiction and haven't read it yet, Guns Germs and Steel is a fave of mine. It's not really a sit down and read cover to cover book...but it's interesting as heck.

Henrietta Lacks is of course, a very good book. (and short)

If you like Dean Koontz but haven't read the Odd Thomas series yet, I think they are definitely worth a read.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. Excellent, excellent, excellent in every way. She truly is a brilliant writer. Poisonwood Bible is one of my all-time favorites, and this one, while very different, measured up fully.

Peony in Love: A Novel by Lisa See started a bit slow (I almost put it down) but ended up being really enchantingly magical.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson--this one was practically a romcom script (in a good way...think "Love Actually" or something similarly good) and I loved it.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. Tragic, lyrical, and wonderful.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Uh yeah, I literally just read this a few months ago. Read it in practically one sitting--it was horrifying and utterly engrossing.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Really amazing...all the hype is true.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson. Again, fascinating, especially if you're a giant history nerd like I am, haha.

Can you tell I love to read?

If you like urban fantasy with a sense of humor, Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles are great. Read them in order, though.

Hounded
    Hexed
    Hammered
    Tricked
    Two Ravens and One Crow (a Kindle-only novella)
    Trapped
    Hunted (release date June 2013)

I loved "A Light Between Two Oceans"

I read the sample of Spillover and now I must finish it! It's just my kind of book. I'm always saying that I should have been a virologist.

I liked the Scorpio Races as well. Wool is a good self-published book series. I love serial killer stuff and I'm currently reading stuff by an Scottish, Gold Dagger award winning, author, Val McDermid. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's not bad.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    If you like urban fantasy with a sense of humor, Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles are great. Read them in order, though.

Hounded
    Hexed
    Hammered
    Tricked
    Two Ravens and One Crow (a Kindle-only novella)
    Trapped
    Hunted (release date June 2013)
    Huge second this! Excellent, funny, serious and compelling.

Also, the best one I read all year is definitely REAMDE by Neil Stephenson. It's got trolls and hackers and terrorists and gaming and some very funny sh*t as well. What's not to like :-)
    Liz Steacie
    Porcupine Hill Dressage
    Maitland, Ontario

http://www.porcupinehill.com